Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If Pens are actually looking for a scoring winger and depth Dman for playoffs as rumored, could there be a deal worked out around
Jones + O'Byrne for Maatta ?

I doubt any team who is close to the cap want Jones and his contract. Especially with the cap going down big next year.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I doubt any team who is close to the cap want Jones and his contract. Especially with the cap going down big next year.

They could rent him for a playoff run this year, then use the amnesty buyout this summer if they had to, couldn't they?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

They will probably lose almost all of Jones' contract in Kennedy and Cooke end of this year, but I do agree about his cost. Avs could retain some % I suppose.???

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
One thing everybody keeps forgetting regarding a Jones trade is that the Avs could retain a portion of his cap. Let's say the Avs retain 500K, Jones at 3.5M is now a lot more attractive to some teams. Not really the way the Avs do business but it is still a possibility.

Same goes for other players. Not saying Avs would want to trade Staz but if Avs retain 1M, Staz at 5.6M could interest a lot more teams. And it would cost the have this amount for only one year.

Not a bad idea if it helps you get the right guys.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I could see the Bruins wanting Jones. Horton is going to be asking for 5.5 over the long term, and I don't really see them keeping him for that amount of money. The have to re-sign Rask, Ference/replacement, 7th D, and Horton/replacement for $11m (assuming they buyout Savard). I assume Rask will be $4-5m, Ference/replacement $2-2.5m, 7th D $1m. That leaves ~3-4m for Horton, and I don't see anyway they can get him signed for that. Jones would be a decent replacement that would be cheaper than any other comparable on the UFA market.

In fact a Jones + SOB is a package I could really see Boston being interested in.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They could rent him for a playoff run this year, then use the amnesty buyout this summer if they had to, couldn't they?

How does it work if you retain a players salary, and then that other team buys him out?

Seems like a possible loophole to get rid of over priced players, but I bet the league closed it somehow.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Good Lord, now we're speculating about the possibility that Jones will be dealt and then that team will buy him out!? :laugh: Even if they use the compliance rules to buy him out, you people do realize they still have to pay Jones millions just to have him walk away for nothing, right? Just because the cap hit isn't on the books doesn't mean the money isn't.

People, get a hold of yourselves, David Jones's contract will not lead to the downfall of the Avs--there are plenty of other factors that have nothing to do with Jones that will lead to that.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
How does it work if you retain a players salary, and then that other team buys him out?

Seems like a possible loophole to get rid of over priced players, but I bet the league closed it somehow.

I have no idea, but I think RockLobster is right:

I don't think so, I think that the player has to play 1 full year to be eligible for a team to use the Amnesty Buyout

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Good Lord, now we're speculating about the possibility that Jones will be dealt and then that team will buy him out!? :laugh: Even if they use the compliance rules to buy him out, you people do realize they still have to pay Jones millions just to have him walk away for nothing, right? Just because the cap hit isn't on the books doesn't mean the money isn't.

People, get a hold of yourselves, David Jones's contract will not lead to the downfall of the Avs--there are plenty of other factors that have nothing to do with Jones that will lead to that.

No one is saying that his contract is a problem for us, but it was a discussion about another team wanting him as a top 6 winger. And the contract would be trouble for them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I was just wondering from a CBA standpoint. Seems like a team could trade a player, retain half his salary and cap hit, and then the other team could end up buying him out in a year.

What happens then? Do they only have to buy him out for their share? Does the original team have to fork over money? Is the cap hit from the buyout based on his total salary or just their share? And does the original team take a cap hit from the buyout?

Seems like it would cause for an interesting situation if the league didn't straighten all that out in the CBA. A team would be more inclined to take a risk on a player with a crazy contract, if the other team could retain half his salary, and then they'd only be risking buying him out and taking a buyout cap hit at half the price. The original team wouldn't mind it either, because they'd either have no or a smaller cap hit for the player that wasn't on their team anyway.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Jones signed a contract extension less than two weeks before becoming an unrestricted free agent. A 4 year contract at that. Him and Parenteau have the longest running deals on the team. I don't think management will 'sell' Jones while his value is this low.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Im not worried about the contract, I think by the time this team becomes a contender in a couple years, the contract wont even be horrible in relation to the new cap.

For me its more about the fact that when we are competitive I don't think there will be a spot on the team for him to effectively fill.

Our forward core in 2 years without factoring in a potential ROR signing/asset acquisition AND our pick in this years draft will look as follows:

Landy - Duchene - PaP
McGinn - Stastny - Downie
Olver - Sgarbossa - Pajamas
McCleod - Mitchell - Bordeleau

In 2 years Pirate and Olver will both be effective 3rd liners. Pajamas is the only ?? of that group. And once you factor in a potential Mackinnon/Drouin/Shinkaruk/etc. on the roster, or the ROR trade asset there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for Jones, who has to play in a Top 9(arguably top 6) to be effective.

Now obviously right now isn't the best time to trade Jones, but my hope would be that he picks it up a little bit before the deadline. If he can have 8-10 goals by the deadline, I think we could move him for a 2nd + a mid prospect. 13 goals in this shortened season is the equivalent of 20 over an 82 game season. If he can be at that pace at the deadline some contender out there will pay for that goal scoring.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Let's let Pajamas and Olver get close to jones level before we start deciding to ship him off. Jones still brings a lot more to the table than either of them, once he sobers up and goes on a hot streak all will be well, the man's just streaky.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Outside of perhaps a handful of teams (Habs, Rangers, Leafs, Flyers) no team would ever buy out a contract for $10M. It's simply too much money. They suck it up and hope the player regains whatever he had that gave him the contract.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kevin Allen
Look for the Carolina Hurricanes to trade for a veteran defenseman over the next few days.

I know they've been scouting us two or three games in our Californian road trip.

member 116861

Kevin Allen
Look for the Carolina Hurricanes to trade for a veteran defenseman over the next few days.

I know they've been scouting us two or three games in our Californian road trip.

I hope we can ship out someone for a draft pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kevin Allen

Probably just a stop gap until they get healthy. ROB because of his pending free agency might be a fit. I doubt they are looking for much long term.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Let's let Pajamas and Olver get close to jones level before we start deciding to ship him off. Jones still brings a lot more to the table than either of them, once he sobers up and goes on a hot streak all will be well, the man's just streaky.

I dunno, I'd almost take Olver over Jones now as is, especially for the 3rd line role. Olver is a physical annoying pest who goes to the dirty areas and fights are for the puck, he can also chip in a little offensively. Jones is not as physical or as willing to go to the dirty areas compared to Olver. I like Olvers game for the 3rd line more then Jones.

Pajamas I agree with, he's a 4th liner more so then a 3rd liner, but I also excpect in 2 years his spot would be filled by either the ROR trade, our 1st round pick, or a free agent signing. Someone like Clowe in that spot would work very well for us.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jones signed a contract extension less than two weeks before becoming an unrestricted free agent. A 4 year contract at that. Him and Parenteau have the longest running deals on the team. I don't think management will 'sell' Jones while his value is this low.

Well, obviously not. No one would want him. If he gets hot again though, that may be another story. I think this O'Reilly situation, and another losing season may cause Sherman to shake things up with this rebuild, and possibly tweak it in a different direction than they were trying to go down in the summer.

It's unlikely he'll be traded, given the fact he just signed his four year deal. However I don't think that will keep them from trading him if they choose to do so, with everything going on with this team.

He doesn't work with Duchene, and he's only ever worked with Staz, which he's not even doing right now. Given Stastny's deal is up after next year, they may change directions with him the minute someone's willing to take him on. I don't think they'd be too concerned with the return.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think Jones could bring back a return above what one would expect come deadline. Still young, has size. with a decent defensive game. Contract is not awful (not great either) considering its length and his consistent numbers over the course of a year.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

I don't think management could sell Jones' contract right now, even if they wanted to. The way Jones is playing no team is going to be willing to take on 3 more years at $4m a piece.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I have pretty much given up on all hopes of a top 5 draft pick that some people keep talking about. As long as Varly is Varly, we are going to continue winning games we don't deserve to win. And with how up and down our offense is, I think it will keep us up above that.

But then again, with the new draft lottery, we will always have a chance. So I guess that's cool......................if we don't make the playoffs, that is. :sarcasm:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If Dale Tallon blows up Florida's roster, Tomas Kopecky and Brian Campbell would both be great additions to the Avalanche.

Kopecky is a great depth power forward, and Campbell is the type of veteran defenseman the Avalanche could use on the back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad