Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It is known that Meehan doesn't support the established structure, where players have to wait to get paid what they are worth.

It looks like ROR believes this as well.

Have they put a crack in the walls of the existing RFA salary structure? I guess we'll see...

He has an enormous list of clients. He's had plenty of guys take bridge deals, most recently Subban and Del Zotto.

This was O'Reilly, not Meehan.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
He has an enormous list of clients. He's had plenty of guys take bridge deals, most recently Subban and Del Zotto.

This was O'Reilly, not Meehan.

Didn't MDZ and Subban both holdout at first, too?
Maybe they just didn't have the fortitude to see it through to the end, like O'Reilly did.
It still reeks of Meehan wanting to influence the second-contract, effectively eliminating any kind of bridge deals.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Didn't MDZ and Subban both holdout at first, too?
Maybe they just didn't have the fortitude to see it through to the end, like O'Reilly did.
It still reeks of Meehan wanting to influence the second-contract, effectively eliminating any kind of bridge deals.

I think you meant "gaping hole where their heart is supposed to be."

It means something when everyone else tries to get as much money as they can, but then realizes they're only 21 and shouldn't hold out demanding big money contracts.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You guys are joking, right?

You think the Flames were the only team in the NHL ready to give O'Reilly his "demands($5m per)"? Anybody who traded for him was going to give him that contract, it was set in his agent's head and he knew it was going to happen.

Yes, the Flames are Pejorative Slured($6.5m) and the Avs are tight assed($3.5m), but the majority of the league is in the middle. You do the math. Teams were going to pay O'Reilly his $5m per.

I agree a team would do that too, but not at the cost of trading for a 5m/yr player.
As a UFA, any team would have probably offered that because they would not lose assets to get him.
This is the main reason I disagree with those who say the Management blew this deal. You can't give ROR away for Bozak and a 3rd or you'll get crucified by everyone, but that is what teams were willing to give up.

Sounded like many teams balked at having to pay what the Avs wanted in return + what ROR wanted in the contract.

IMO the major mistake the Avs made was that they should have offered a better long term deal to start (More $/yr than the bridge), showing they valued and had faith in ROR and securing him for the future, but not getting forced into breaking the bank.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think it's a bit hypocritical of avs fans who complain about Stastny but then want a top prospect from another team. What's worse is rejcting and making fun of all those leaf proposals that actually look pretty good right about now.
I don't know what you're talking about here. A deal around Stastny and Gardiner is very fair IMO. I am not a huge Stastny fan, but he's still a good player. It's just Leaf fans like looking at stats to make their judgement.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What can a Stastny, O'Brien package get in return for the Avs?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What can a Stastny, O'Brien package get in return for the Avs?

According to Leaf fans:

8510652.jpg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Unless they put Duchene on wing, I don't see either Stastny, Duchene or O'Reilly playing 3rd line center.

And why would you put Duchene on wing when he's been having a good season at his original center position?

So if they don't trade Stastny what are the other options? I'd say they will indeed put Duchene on wing and screw things up.

Hopefully they just trade Stastny for a decent d-man.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Unless they put Duchene on wing, I don't see either Stastny, Duchene or O'Reilly playing 3rd line center.

And why would you put Duchene on wing when he's been having a good season at his original center position?

So if they don't trade Stastny what are the other options? I'd say they will indeed put Duchene on wing and screw things up.

And then O'Reilly hits the road and we're left with Duchene, Mitchell, Olver down the middle. Perfect.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Put the golden boy on Wing.

That would be ROR.

Staz and Dutch have earned their positions at Center -- by playing for the Avs this year.

Or, let ROR play 3rd line Center.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't know what you're talking about here. A deal around Stastny and Gardiner is very fair IMO. I am not a huge Stastny fan, but he's still a good player. It's just Leaf fans like looking at stats to make their judgement.

Im talking about when leaf fans made proposals avs fans laughed at them and now those proposals are considered more than fair. If I were the leafs I wouldnt trade gardnier for stastny.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
And then O'Reilly hits the road and we're left with Duchene, Mitchell, Olver down the middle. Perfect.

Why would he hit the road? If they trade Stastny they'll have plenty of cap room to extend O'Reilly in two years.

Actually the Avs will have a tougher time resigning all of Stastny, Duchene and ROR with the cap going down to 64 mill.

Trading Stastny now is the smartest move.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Put the golden boy on Wing.

That would be ROR.

Staz and Dutch have earned their positions at Center -- by playing for the Avs this year.

Or, let ROR play 3rd line Center.

Put players in the best position to succeed...it doesn't matter what O'Reilly did or didn't do to the organization. It's over, and the time to be spiteful or vindictive is past. To place the best faceoff guy on the wing based on principle is ludicrous.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Also from a Habs fan on the trade forum,

Desharnais + Diaz for Stastny

Throw in a 2nd I think that is a fair. Diaz is having one hell of a year while improving and I think Desharnais is a very underrated player.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Sherman kind of screwed up here, we would have had more leverage if we had outed this. Have they signed the offer sheet paperwork yet? Renig lolz

A lot of people are at fault here, Feaster most of all. But like you said, Sherman could have used this as a negotiating tool to get a larger trade out of Calgary or in contract talks with ROR. Either way though, I'm not sure it would have changed anything because it is clear Sherman has wanted ROR on this team most of all.

If anything, O'Reilly should fire his agent. He let him play those games in Russia which made him privy to this rule, and still allowed him to negotiate and offer sheet when he really had no power to. Could have ended up playing 2 years in Columbus, a team he didn't negotiate with at all.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Put players in the best position to succeed...it doesn't matter what O'Reilly did or didn't do to the organization. It's over, and the time to be spiteful or vindictive is past. To place the best faceoff guy on the wing based on principle is ludicrous.

Shhh, our organization must continue to set examples with players. Nevermind winning. We will show them who's boss! Take your $6.5m and get on the wing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad