Speculation: In search of trophies: Jack Adams, Calder, Lady Byng and Vezina

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With 14 games left in the regular season, now is a good time to look toward the four awards that have a possibility of coming back to Colorado and discussion thereof.

Here are the likely nominees as we stand today, subject to change. Limiting to three for statistical comparison as of right now but know that is not a complete list of possibilities, please add in additional candidates as you see fit.

Jack Adams

Patrick Roy 44-19-5 (.684 points %)
John Cooper 36-24-7 (.590)
Ken Hitchcock 46-14-7 (.734)

Calder

Nathan MacKinnon 22-30-52
Ondrej Palat 17-27-44
Tyler Johnson 21-21-42

Lady Byng

Ryan O'Reilly 66 games, 55 points, 0 PIM
Tyler Seguin 65 games, 69 points, 4 PIM
Martin St. Louis 69 games, 63 points, 8 PIM

Vezina

Semyon Varlamov 34 wins, 2.49 GAA, .925 SV%, 1 SO
Ben Bishop 31 wins, 2.10 GAA, .929 SV%, 5 SO
Tuukka Rask 30 wins, 2.10 GAA, .928 SV%, 6 SO

Last edited by a moderator:

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
When I look at the numbers for Varly side by side with the other candidates, I just can't see him winning it. Even if he is more our MVP than those others guy are for their teams. .40GAA higher .003-.004SV% (Not much I know), and 4-5 shut outs behind seems like quite a bit of distance to make up.

I just don't know how much the voters look at what they mean to their team, as well as the defense they play behind while putting up those numbers.

I think he would have to lead by 6-7 wins, get himself even in sv% at least, and probably pitch 2-3 shutouts down the stretch here to get himself close.

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Voted none, and can't see us winning anything but the Calder perhaps, which I think will go to an eastern team anyways.

Cooper wins Adams, Bishop/Rask wins Vezina, Hossa wins Byng and Krug/Palat wins Calder.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If Roy doesn't win the Adams it's a travesty, the Calder is MacKinnon's unless he scores like 40 own goals in the remaining games, O'Reilly won't win the Byng because of his reputation as a contract holdout, his facial hair and the perception that he's a physical player, Varlamov won't win the Vezina because his stats aren't miles ahead of the other goalies even though he probably deserves it, given his importance to the team.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
When's the last rookie coach to win the Adams? Roy is not winning that thing... I hope he does, but he wont.

Realistically, the only lock is the calder. I don't see us winning anything else.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think 4 pims difference in the gentlemanly category is enough to separate Seguin's effectiveness from O'Reillys.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
Not even positive the calder is a lock if Mack doesn't start scoring some more.

I had posted about expectations for him in another thread. This is what I was referring to. He's 18. He hasn't gotten a point in 4 games but had 13 straight before that. I'm would have been willing to sit here and wait another 5 games before panicking. He currently leads in point, goals, assists, ppg, gwg, shots. He works hard and will get rewarded at some point. I'm gonna bet that his production goes up a bit when Pauly comes back.

Edit: I know you were just saying the calder wasn't a lock. I'm just referring to the "scoring some more" part

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
When I look at the numbers for Varly side by side with the other candidates, I just can't see him winning it. Even if he is more our MVP than those others guy are for their teams. .40GAA higher .003-.004SV% (Not much I know), and 4-5 shut outs behind seems like quite a bit of distance to make up.

I just don't know how much the voters look at what they mean to their team, as well as the defense they play behind while putting up those numbers.

I think he would have to lead by 6-7 wins, get himself even in sv% at least, and probably pitch 2-3 shutouts down the stretch here to get himself close.

If he does all of that though, his GAA will be down to ~2.25 by the time the season is over.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I voted Byng, Adams, and Calder.

MacKinnon seems to be a lock for the Calder. Hasn't scored a goal in a bit but he's still putting up points.

No one, no one thought we would be this close to the Division title. The culture change that Roy has brought in has been enormous.

If O'Reilly doesn't get any PIM's by the end of the year then he deserves the Byng. Amazing defense, productive on offense and a new NHL record.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The first two are always put to numbers.

The last two (Lady Byng and Vezina) always go off reputation, which is why the Avs players won't win.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
MacK is all but a lock for the Calder. Roy should be for the Adams (his reputation may hurt him in some circles). Varly won't win the Vezina, but could be argued that he should. ROR... if he goes the whole season without a penalty, I think he wins. If he even gets one penalty, I think it goes to Seguin.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
Calder.

I think Roy will be nominated for the Jack Adams, but I don't think he'll win - gut feeling Henchman24 is right that his past reputation may hurt his odds. No way Varly or O'Reilly will even be nominated.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Varlamov would win it, If people compared defense around the league. We have 3 AHL journey defenseman in roster and he's still putting results like this. He should take it down.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
What about Varly for the Hart ?

take him off our team, replace him with even average goatlending and we are not a playoff team

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As of now the calder is Mackinnons to lose. Mackinnons the sexy choice here. 18 yrs old, beat a Gretzky record, 1st overall pick, etc. If Mack finishes first in points he takes it in a landslide. He should prolly switch back to the Ribcor if he wants to start scoring goals again lol. Hard to believe he hasnt gotten a goal since before the Olympics. A month ago now.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Are we really sure those two are O'Reilly's competition for the Byng? After what's transpired this season, I don't see St. Louis winning it. And I think Seguin's reputation from Boston will severely hurt his chances for the award. I'm not sure O'Reilly wins the award unless he manages a full season with 0 PIM, but I think his top competition for the award lies elsewhere.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I think Calder and Jack Adams are locks. Factor should win the Byng, but I don't think he will because it's a reputation trophy. No chance on the Vezina.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Are we really sure those two are O'Reilly's competition for the Byng? After what's transpired this season, I don't see St. Louis winning it. And I think Seguin's reputation from Boston will severely hurt his chances for the award. I'm not sure O'Reilly wins the award unless he manages a full season with 0 PIM, but I think his top competition for the award lies elsewhere.

No, that was just me trolling through the stats and picking out the highest points to PIM ratio but certainly if you guys have ideas on better candidates for comparison I'll change or add to the OP. I know the OP wasn't an exhaustive list, was just more to show how our guys stack up against some of the competition. If I didn't cut off at 3 I would start adding everyone who was possible so I just did 3 for now.

With Lady Byng, do they look at takeaways and things like that or is it still more a points, reputation then low PIM thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00