Speculation: In search of trophies: Jack Adams, Calder, Lady Byng and Vezina

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Was going to bring up Selke and Hart for Duchene. I know neither guy is winning but could finish in the voting for them. Duchene is up to 16th in the league in scoring, to put it in perspective he's tied with Toews.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Nobody on the team has a chance at the Hart. That's not a bad thing, just means we've had a great collective team effort this season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What about Varly for the Hart ?

take him off our team, replace him with even average goatlending and we are not a playoff team
He is more of a Hart contender than a Vezina contender but he wont win either. Which I don't disagree with. Other league candidates are all mroe deserving.

Stastny deserves the Selke more this season, what he and Landeskog are doing is simply great.

I absoutely agree. OF course Radar is a selke caliber guy. He always has been but he holds a lot less responsibility than Stastny and I think Staz is simply better in his own end. ROR has the beautiful takeaway stat but a good portion of those comes from forechecking and neutral zone work. That obviously is part of selke consideration but what Stastny does in his own end of the ice cant be matched by anybody else on this team. At least not while Radar is playing on the wing.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Roy and MacK are absolute locks, IMO. I don't want to hear any Cooper talk.

O'Reilly should win the Lady Byng.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
voted for Roy and MacKinnon. It will probably be close but I think Roy just edges Cooper in the vote. There will be some bias against him but he's a big enough name to get support too. If they finish strong it's hard to argue against his points %. Tampa hit a bit of a bump, they lost 10 of 13 until recently and some of that was with Stamkos back.

I don't consider any Avalanche player a lock but the one with the best shot is MacKinnon. As long as he finishes with the points lead there won't be a strong enough argument against him especially if he approaches or hits 60 points.

Agree that reputation will hold O'Reilly back but if he finishes with 0 penalties he'll get a lot of attention, the national media had already picked up on that angle. Probably will help him get some more Selke votes but he won't win that either.

Varly should get more Vezina consideration but he won't. Stats are not there and he'd have to be the clear leader to overcome the hype of some other contenders.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
With 14 games left in the regular season, now is a good time to look toward the four awards that have a possibility of coming back to Colorado and discussion thereof.

Jack Adams

Roy has as good a chance as anyone. Very deserving of a lot of credit.

MacKinnon.

Lady Byng

Couldn't care less, honestly. Shouldn't even be such an award.

I think Ben Bishop wins this one.

I voted Adams and Calder, but I'm iffy on the Adams. MacKinnon should take the Calder though, unless he slumps badly over the last few weeks.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
When's the last rookie coach to win the Adams? Roy is not winning that thing... I hope he does, but he wont.

Realistically, the only lock is the calder. I don't see us winning anything else.

They call him, Joe Sacco

Just kidding, but I really thought he was going to win it though lol

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I voted for the Jack Adams, the Lady Byng, and the Calder. I think the Jack Adams and the Calder are shoo-ins for us, barring a major collapse on the part of our team and/or MacKinnon.

I don't deny that the East Coast bias exists, but I don't buy that it is as big of a factor as some on HF make it out to be. If it was such a big deal, there is no way that Landeskog would have won the Calder Trophy over Henrique a couple of years back. MacKinnon has a bigger lead in the Calder race on any other rookie than Landeskog did the year he won it.

I think it will be close between ROR and Seguin for the Lady Byng, but I think if ROR can continue to avoid getting penalties, he'll probably take it. It would set a record for most games played in a season without a penalty, which would be really impressive considering that ROR isn't exactly a soft player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
MacKinnon for the Calder is a lock.

Roy has a very good shot at the Jack Adams. FWIW, LeBrun thinks he's a lock and McKenzie said he's the front runner right now so the media is starting to get behind him.

It would be great to see O'Reilly win the Lady Byng, even though it's a pointless award that doesn't mean much. I thought they would just give it to MSL but maybe now they won't since his reputation took a bit of a hit.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Calder is already a done deal

Jack Adams, Roy should have a very legitimate chance for sure.

Lady Byng, RoR - same on this one, he should have a great shot.

Vezina, Varly - he should get some consideration but won't, will end up 3rd in voting because the voters are n00bs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Calder is already a done deal

Jack Adams, Roy should have a very legitimate chance for sure.

Lady Byng, RoR - same on this one, he should have a great shot.

Vezina, Varly - he should get some consideration but won't, will end up 3rd in voting because the voters are n00bs.

Agreed on all accounts.

I would imagine that Varly will get some notice but it'll take at least a second season with these types of stats before he'll be seriously considered by the league GMs. I think Bob was kind of an exception to the rule last season, but before that it looks like most goalies have been considered to be a member of the elite group of goalies for a spell before getting their first win.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
LeBrun mentioned it during the ESPN podcast today and he should have a blog/article coming up soon. Burnside disagreed that he's a lock but LeBrun said he thinks he is.

McKenzie said it during his radio segment on TSN radio (Montreal).

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
He is more of a Hart contender than a Vezina contender but he wont win either. Which I don't disagree with. Other league candidates are all mroe deserving.

i agree with you on this, if his gaa was .3ish lower and he had 3 more shutouts he would be more able to take a vezina

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I think that although Radar should very well win the Byng, he won't simply because nobody really cares about Colorado yet. Seriously. I've been taking note of where TSN places the story for Colorado games. A Colorado win usually means near the bottom (assuming it's not a game vs. Toronto or Montreal) and a loss usually means the story being much higher. I bet a lot of people have NO idea Radar is putting up those kinda numbers without taking penalties. Sadly it will go to the popular choice, which is not Radar...yet....

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I preface this by saying I KNOW there is an eastern bias. I have noticed the national media picking up on the no penalties thing. NHL Net asked him about it on the arena cam and I saw a couple tweets about it from national media members. Also saw a national media member pointed out that since the break both O'Reilly and Duchene are tied with most points scored in the league.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Do you know if ROR has ever been in a fight? In junior?

According to hockeyfights.com he hasn't. They don't miss very much. ROR has said that he wont be long breaking his peanlty streak if somebody layed a dirty hit on Dutchy though :laugh:
I love this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad