Speculation: In search of trophies: Jack Adams, Calder, Lady Byng and Vezina

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I preface this by saying I KNOW there is an eastern bias. I have noticed the national media picking up on the no penalties thing. NHL Net asked him about it on the arena cam and I saw a couple tweets about it from national media members. Also saw a national media member pointed out that since the break both O'Reilly and Duchene are tied with most points scored in the league.

Yeah I'll admit I have heard from some sources about the Avalanche's success, but it's still an afterthought in the east. You're more likely to hear about whether or not Phil Kessel's lunch was on white bread or whole-wheat than you are to hear about how Radar is putting up career numbers with 0 PIM.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I really hope that Ryan gets very serious consideration for Selke Trophy. He probably will finish with close to 65 points, leads the league in takeaways, has 0 PIM to this. He is very good on defense.

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I think Mack is a virtual lock for the Calder unless he goes on an epic cold streak down the stretch.

I don't know why, but I feel like Roy will get shafted out of the Adams. He deserves it for the turnaround this team has experienced, but I could see him not winning.

What ROR is doing is incredible, but I don't know that 4 PIM really makes up the difference between he and Seguin. ROR also deserves some Selke talk, though he won't win.

And though I've been lobbying for Varly as Vezina winner, Ben Bishop probably wins it. He continued to play well when Stamkos went down and I think that's what puts him over the top.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
And though I've been lobbying for Varly as Vezina winner, Ben Bishop probably wins it. He continued to play well when Stamkos went down and I think that's what puts him over the top.

that and his numbers are incredible 2.11 gaa 5 shutouts 32 wins and a .928 save%

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
The Calder is MacK's to lose. Though if he keeps up the recent slump and Palat keeps putting up 2 or 3 ppg the race could get a lot closer down the stretch.

Roy should be seriously considered for the Adams. It's pretty amazing what he has done with this team. Lets just hope the voters see that too.

Varly has had a spectacular season. Just not any more spectacular than Bishop's or Rask's. His stats just don't separate him from the two others.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The Calder is MacK's to lose. Though if he keeps up the recent slump and Palat keeps putting up 2 or 3 ppg the race could get a lot closer down the stretch.

Roy should be seriously considered for the Adams. It's pretty amazing what he has done with this team. Lets just hope the voters see that too.

Varly has had a spectacular season. Just not any more spectacular than Bishop's or Rask's. His stats just don't separate him from the two others.

Unless you take into account how integral to their team they are. Though I would argue Tampa doesn't have an amazing defense either.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Unless you take into account how integral to their team they are. Though I would argue Tampa doesn't have an amazing defense either.

It's actually pretty good. In terms of shots given up they're middle-of-the-road, and in terms of Corsi/Fenwick they're right around 10th/11th. Their top four is far better than Colorado's at present. They're not "amazing" defensively, but they're good.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I wouldn't be surprised if MacKinnon was the only trophy winner from the Avs.

Unless Varly somehow records at least 3 more shutouts, he might not even get nominated. That award is Bishop's to lose.

For Adams and Lady Bing, I think Roy and O'Reilly will be nominated but lose to Hitchcock and Seguin, respectively.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Calder is a lock. Roy should win Jack Adams, but I don't think he will. He's not exactly the most liked.

Calder is in no way a lock.

Palat is having an incredible season so far. He's catching Mack in points, and theres still plenty of time left for him to catch Mackinnon.

If Palat can tie or past Mackinnon, he wins the Calder. Mack needs to pick up his pace a little more down the road.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Calder is in no way a lock.

Palat is having an incredible season so far. He's catching Mack in points, and theres still plenty of time left for him to catch Mackinnon.

If Palat can tie or past Mackinnon, he wins the Calder. Mack needs to pick up his pace a little more down the road.

Palat is 22, Mac is 18. Calder is a lock.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I really hope that Ryan gets very serious consideration for Selke Trophy. He probably will finish with close to 65 points, leads the league in takeaways, has 0 PIM to this. He is very good on defense.

Takeaways don't make you a great defender per se. If you played the puck all the time instead of the body then you would probably have a lot of takeaways but you would also get burned a lot and give up prime scoring chances.

viach

Aug 5, 2007

:huh: Mack is only 18. Personally, if Palat continues to score, calder is lock for him.
Mack needs points now...

Next games for Palat are so easy than Mack like Buff, Islanders, Flames....

Hope for CalderMack !!!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Palat's about to turn 23 too. Shouldn't even be in the running IMO.

All the best players are 18-20 when they make the NHL these days. They should be competing with each other for the Calder, not with 23 year olds.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Is a coach making the playoffs in his first year a regular thing or is it a rarity?

Especially with where we finished last season to where we are this season is HUGE! I really think Roy deserves it for what he has done, then again I'm ever so slightly biased.

Mack is pretty much a lock for the Calder I think it's all the sports reporters talk about here in Ontario when he's mentioned.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It depends if people really take age into account or not. Some will some won't. Also how many people take points into account as the ultimate measure or not. Mack has the age, name and hype so maybe he doesn't have to have the points lead. Would help if he does though.

I read somewhere that the last first overall to make the playoffs his rookie year was Thornton in the 90s, so that tells you how often terrible teams turn it around. Tampa was in the ECF a couple years ago, they were not truly terrible themselves.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Any reporter I've heard talking about Mac always brings up his age. I don't know who votes on the Calder.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Not that it will really help his chances, but it does kinda show that people do see him as underrated. Via NHL.com:

Which of these under-the-radar players has been the most valuable fantasy forward this season?

Kyle Turris (Senators):
13.36%

Mats Zuccarello (Rangers):
17.43%

Ryan O'Reilly (Avalanche):
19.54%

Jaden Schwartz (Blues):
16.12%

Brandon Dubinsky (Blue Jackets):
9.93%

Ad

Upcoming events