In all quietness, Brent Burns has already scored 61 points this season

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Can’t sign an 8-year-extension before the trade-deadline is over. Not saying it’s gonna happen, just saying, the fact that he has not signed yet doesn’t tell us anything.
What are the odds that SJ resigns Pavelski, Thornton, and Donskoi this summer?

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
What are the odds that SJ resigns Pavelski, Thornton, and Donskoi this summer?

If Donskoi continues his recent play, he will be retained. Thornton, if he wants to continue, will probably sign for whatever is left under the cap (1 million, if he has to?!). Pavelski could be tricky. He is having a fantastic season numbers wise, but at 35 how much more does he have to give. As far as I know, there haven’t been any discussions between the 2 sides. Given that the Sharks are usually very proactive, I could see Pavelski going to UFA

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
If Donskoi continues his recent play, he will be retained. Thornton, if he wants to continue, will probably sign for whatever is left under the cap (1 million, if he has to?!). Pavelski could be tricky. He is having a fantastic season numbers wise, but at 35 how much more does he have to give. As far as I know, there haven’t been any discussions between the 2 sides. Given that the Sharks are usually very proactive, I could see Pavelski going to UFA
it sucks but he would also be able to get pizzaid

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yeah... Pavelski is the tough one. It would be a much easier decision to make if he was a couple of years younger.
I agree that Donskoi will most likely be a Shark next year. RW's of his caliber are always tough to find.
As to Thornton... I don't see him taking less than $3M. Less than that and I think he'll retire. Can definitely see him moving into management though, if he wants to.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah... Pavelski is the tough one. It would be a much easier decision to make if he was a couple of years younger.
I agree that Donskoi will most likely be a Shark next year. RW's of his caliber are always tough to find.
As to Thornton... I don't see him taking less than $3M. Less than that and I think he'll retire. Can definitely see him moving into management though, if he wants to.
Thornton has never been about the money. He took numerous team-friendly deals when he was in his prime. He'll be a shark next year if he wants to.

Pavelski re-signing is a lot less likely than Karlsson atm.

Reactions: Kegsey and Phu

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Thornton has never been about the money. He took numerous team-friendly deals when he was in his prime. He'll be a shark next year if he wants to.

Pavelski re-signing is a lot less likely than Karlsson atm.
We will never know that if Thornton retires next year. All we will know is that he decided to hang them up.. we won't know if he decided that SJ's offer wasn't high enough for him to play another season. Its not like he will he will come out and make a statement such as "The Sharks offered me $1M to play but I decided it wasn't enough so I'm retiring."

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I’d say Gio gets the Norris due to a more complete defensive game but Burns should definitely be in the Hart conversation.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This is Burns’ best season yet. Giordano will probably win the Norris because “it’s his turn” like Doughty did, but make no mistake, Burns is the best defenseman in the league this season.

I know I type this kind of thing a lot, but I feel so blessed to have him. He’s just so unique. There is no defenseman in the league with Burns’ combination of size, speed, hands, and shooting ability. Just look at some of the ridiculous highlight reel goals he’s scored this year. Just insane. Burns is 15th in the league in scoring as a defenseman. He’s blowing Rielly and Giordano out of the water despite the fact that those guys each have three or four teammates outpacing them.

This sentiment is impressively ignorant.

People don’t watch the Sharks, see Burns’ point totals, and assume he’s playing “4th forward”. This could not be further from the truth.
I think people underestimate how bad a player actually has to be to qualify as bad defensively. The majority of NHL defensemen are more/less fine IMO.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I’d say Gio gets the Norris due to a more complete defensive game but Burns should definitely be in the Hart conversation.
I agree with both statements. Unfortunately d-men rarely get considered for the Hart. In the modern age of hockey the only defensemen to win the Hart are Bobby Orr (3 times) and Chris Pronger (once).

BCgyFan

Jul 21, 2014
7 points isn’t an accurate measurement of the gap in offensive talent.

Burns ranks 1st on his team in scoring, with a 12 point edge on 2nd place. When he is on the ice at even strength, he factors into 55.38% of the goals his team scores. The Sharks have scored 29 goals without him adding a point in 1080:30 of ice time. Call that metric GFMP (goals for minus points), Burns has a GFMP of 29 and a GFMP/60 of 1.61.

Giordano ranks 5th on his own team in scoring, 20 points behind 1st place. When he is on the ice at even strength, he factors into 50% of the goals his team scores. The Flames have scored 31 goals without him adding a point in 960:37 of ice time. Giordano has 31 GFMP or a GFMP/60 of 1.94.

In other words, if Giordano just lies down and does nothing, his team is going to score a lot more frequently than Burns’ team is. Because of that, it’s going to be a lot easier for Giordano to score points. That’s probably part of why Giordano has 15 secondary assists at even strength, compared to Burns’ 12. Meanwhile, Burns has 24 even strength primary points; Giordano has 16.

To lend some credence to this idea, Giordano’s 2 most common ES forward linemates are Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. Burns’ 2 most common ES forward linemates are Evander Kane and Joe Pavelski. I would gladly dive into numbers for each player if somebody really wants me to, but I think everybody can agree that Giordano plays with better forward linemates. That isn’t a slight to Kane/Pavelski, but rather a compliment to Gaudreau/Monahan.

Now, I’m not saying Burns deserves to win the Norris. Giordano has been better defensively in a tougher defensive role - he deserves it if the season ends today. But the idea that their offense is as close as the 7 point gap between them is wrong. Burns is in his 3rd straight season of being the best offensive player on a comfortable playoff team. There is one other defenseman in the NHL who is capable of playing that role and he also plays for San Jose. If Giordano were put into that role, he would fail and his team would miss the playoffs. The same goes for Morgan Rielly.

Yeah, lot of wingers play 51 combined minutes in two games against Calgary/Winnipeg and allow one goal.

Sharks also game plan to cycle the puck to Burns as much as possible. This boosts his point totals compared to Giordano where the offence is more based around the forwards.

Burns - 205 shots second to Kane and a 37 shot lead on 3rd place as a defenseman.

Reactions: Rubi

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I agree, Burns this season has been playing better defense than what he has in the past and it would be silly to convert him back to the RW that he was when he was drafted by Minnesota back in 2003. My error was saying that EK was in the SJ fold and thats really not correct as he still hasn't signed with SJ yet and seeing how late it is in the season, he'll likely test the FA market at the end of the season. That will basically leave Burns as the only offensive d-man on the roster since the next best option is Dillon who's scored a whopping 1 goal and 15 assists.
You're right. Leave Burns on defense. Without him there the SJ defense is fairly average once EK moves on.

Well, you’ve managed to supplement an already bad take with an even worse one. Bravo!

Reactions: FunkyPhin and Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
unless burns cools off, i think he takes it. his numbers will be gaudy if he doesn't.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
before i get lynched by my own fanbase, i think gio deserves it simply due to age.

he's having an awesome season, especially when people say defense declines as you age

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I’d give Burns the Norris as of today. Rielly and Giordano finalists.

Burns will be a finalist but Giordano is winning the Norris this year.

John Carlson or Kris Letang also might replace Reilly as a finalist.

I really wish the voters would have the guts to make Mattias Ekholm, who is 5th in ESP among defenseman,a finalist as he should be along with Burns and Giordano.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Burns is a beast, so is Karlsson. I wish I could combine Toronto's roster with the Sharks.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
unless burns cools off, i think he takes it. his numbers will be gaudy if he doesn't.

No, you don’t understand.

If Morgan Rielly has gaudy offensive numbers, he will win due to “gaudy offensive numbers”.

If Brent Burns has gaudy offensive numbers, Giordano will win due to “solid defensive play”.

Reactions: Phu

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Giordano should win the Norris as best defenceman but knowing how stupid the PWHA is at times, they'll give it to Burns because points :eyeroll:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad