Improving D (targets and cost?)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't mind Del Zotto, but it depends on the $. I wouldn't want him playing with Buff though, that pair might be too offense-minded.

Edit: upon looking up Del Zotto's current sallary, I think he would be too expensive. Especially if we have ~11 mil playing on the 3rd pair

I think we can get him on the cheap. You may be right about Del Zotto's offence though but he is a solid puck mover if he can find some shutdown to his game he would be perfect for Buff.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mine is if we sign a UFA this summer.

Morrissey - Trouba
Del Zotto - Buff
Enstrom - Myers

Not sure if Del Zotto will resign or not but he can skate well enough and can move the puck. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

or we trade a vet for a really good piece that has more room to grow than Del Zotto.

Del Zotto was so bad nobody wanted him for free. Philly was desperate so finally gave him a chance on a cheap contract. He played well, re-signed for a lot more money and went right back in the crapper. Ask Philly fans how he has been this year. Better we should just go with Melchiori.:sarcasm:

Smith is the model of a good partner for Buff. If his price doesn't go too high he is the one to go after.

Edit: In my expert opinion, that is :) .

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The best way to improve our defense is to change the systems currently employed. Then: get a 3rd pairing LHD, and wait for Myers return and pair him with the FNG.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah decrease his ice time, get rid of Stuart and Postma. This team would look so much better after these moves.

Postma's alright - I think he'd look a lot better if his partner wasn't always one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. He's not great in his own zone, but good enough for bottom pairing. He moves the puck well and has some offensive sense.

I'd be fine if he were back next year. It's really not like the Jets have the depth to just toss him to the wind. With Myers' health a concern, I don't know if we should just be penciling in Poolman in as the 7th/8th guy next year...

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Del Zotto was so bad nobody wanted him for free. Philly was desperate so finally gave him a chance on a cheap contract. He played well, re-signed for a lot more money and went right back in the crapper. Ask Philly fans how he has been this year. Better we should just go with Melchiori.:sarcasm:

Smith is the model of a good partner for Buff. If his price doesn't go too high he is the one to go after.

Savage

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Postma's alright - I think he'd look a lot better if his partner wasn't always one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. He's not great in his own zone, but good enough for bottom pairing. He moves the puck well and has some offensive sense.

I'd be fine if he were back next year. It's really not like the Jets have the depth to just toss him to the wind. With Myers' health a concern, I don't know if we should just be penciling in Poolman in as the 7th/8th guy next year...

I've got Poolman penciled in as #6, beside either Myers or Postma. Its only pencil though. Easily erased. :laugh: If he is not ready for that I would send him to the Moose to adjust to the pro game, not sit him in the PB.

Alternatively if we sign a good 2/3LD Poolman goes to the Moose. If Trouba signs long term I start shopping Myers as soon as he has played enough to re-establish his value after his injuries. When he goes Poolman and Postma can fight it out for 3RD.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ideally, a 3rd pairing should play 13-14 minutes per game...I am not comfortable with Postma on the ice for that long.....Poolman shouldn't be pencilled in anywhere until he signs.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ideally, a 3rd pairing should play 13-14 minutes per game...I am not comfortable with Postma on the ice for that long.....Poolman shouldn't be pencilled in anywhere until he signs.

His results speak differently?

I'm fine with Postma. There are very few regular third pairing defenders who produce better results, and even less when you account for young players who are sheltered young defenders with potential to be future top-four players.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He was once a good defencemen. And probably the best available UFA this summer as far as LHD go.

We could target Smith. But is Detroit in the rebuild phase? If they aren't they won't be looking to trade him if they think they can compete. Their defence is very weak and teams with weak defence don't trade decent defencemen.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
There's a lot we can do to get a bit better. But to me, anything short of getting a top pair guy in some way shape or form won't get it done if we want to be a good playoff team. These guys aren't available in free agency and if they are the odds are almost zilch they come here.

Doesn't have to be a great offensive guy. Just more of a Hjalmarsson, Vlasic, Larsson type.

We know the value of these guys. Time is now to look at drafting a top pair potential defenseman.

One of those would be nice for the JETS....

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I'm sorry...

1) I find it hilariously ironic that you think Buff is for fans that don't have knowledge about hockey. Byfuglien is well respected for being one of the best NHL blue-liners by GMs and scouts, and yes I can actually say this since I talk to those types all the time as a day job. :laugh:

Ex: I had one non-Jet NHL head coach recently joke that Byfuglien would be both awesome but terrible for his team since the guy can be the best player to have been on the ice for 55 mins of the game and than the worst for 5. He was exaggerating but he understood that it's the fans that dislike Buff that are being fooled by the 5 minutes rather than what he does through most of the game.

Note: I'm not using this as evidence that Byfuglien is bad or good. That would be appeal to authority. I'm just pointing out that your comment that Byfuglien is for fans that do not know hockey is just straight up wrong and if anything it's fans that tend to under appreciate the things Byfuglien does due to overly focusing on the big "whoops" moments.

2) I cannot take you seriously and doubt any will if you are spouting out stuff this excessively exaggerated rhetoric every time and cannot have a proper discussion on Byfuglien with true back and fourth. There are tons on this board that have disagreements with myself on what Byfuglien is and his true value, but I'll let you know that they can at least have civil discussions without just simply shooting out ridiculous statements without any sort of evidence whatsoever.

Byfuglien indeed has his warts. His defensive value, in suppressing goals against, is legitimately poor and even below replacement level this season. Despite these warts, last week when I checked he was still ranked in the top 60 (~35) for best overall impact relative to ice time for even strength minutes in the entire NHL for the 180 most commonly used defenders.

Could you chat with them next about Hellebuyck, and then report back here? I'm all kinds of tired about hearing how we need to get a goalie. He's fine. Tell them he's fine!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was once a good defencemen. And probably the best available UFA this summer as far as LHD go.

We could target Smith. But is Detroit in the rebuild phase? If they aren't they won't be looking to trade him if they think they can compete. Their defence is very weak and teams with weak defence don't trade decent defencemen.

Smith is a pending UFA.

MDZ turned it on for 1 year to get a new contract in Philly. Doesn't seem to be able to find the switch to earn another one. Not going to speculate why, just stay away. If he was the best UFA I would stay out of the UFA market.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Could you chat with them next about Hellebuyck, and then report back here? I'm all kinds of tired about hearing how we need to get a goalie. He's fine. Tell them he's fine!

I'll be honest, I don't talk much to any members in Jets organization. High or low.

There are a few I chat about hockey in general but not many and no decision makers.

This reduces the search of which teams employ Garret to 29 possibilities. ;)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Smith is a pending UFA.

MDZ turned it on for 1 year to get a new contract in Philly. Doesn't seem to be able to find the switch to earn another one. Not going to speculate why, just stay away. If he was the best UFA I would stay out of the UFA market.

Smith will get signed I think.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'll be honest, I don't talk much to any members in Jets organization. High or low.

There are a few I chat about hockey in general but not many and no decision makers.

This reduces the search of which teams employ Garret to 29 possibilities. ;)

Stab in the dark. It's the Ducks!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
His results speak differently?

I'm fine with Postma. There are very few regular third pairing defenders who produce better results, and even less when you account for young players who are sheltered young defenders with potential to be future top-four players.

How many games has Postma played 14 minutes in the last two years?
I am fine with Myers as a 3RHD until they trade him.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ville Pokka is waivers eligible next season. I doubt the Hawks are going to keep him on their roster considering who they already have on D whom they seem to like more. He should be available and be fairly cheap to acquire. They'd likely wanna move him before next season to avoid losing him for nothing on waivers. Would love for Chevy to leverage his Blackhawks connections and acquire him

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ville Pokka is waivers eligible next season. I doubt the Hawks are going to keep him on their roster considering who they already have on D whom they seem to like more. He should be available and be fairly cheap to acquire. They'd likely wanna move him before next season to avoid losing him for nothing on waivers. Would love for Chevy to leverage his Blackhawks connections and acquire him

I couldn't agree more...he is ready to make the jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad