Impact Thread: Pride Of Canada... Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
About Amar Sejdic

I don’t know why, but I pictured him being 18-19. He’s actually turning 23 this year. I think he may definitely be battling for some playtime from the start

Gressel was drafted a year older and he's been a key piece to ATL.

Sejdic will be good, if you can play you can play. The 'too old' rhetoric are said by people who aren't aware that they aren't for sale to European clubs. What difference would it make if they were 28 or 24 if they are good? Just superficial.

Matter of fact they are better than academy wonderkids for longevity.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You take Benedetto over Gignac?

He's the best striker out of South America for sure and most likely just behind Gignac (imo) if you include Mexico but I don't see how he could be better than Martinez, Ibra, Rooney, Giovinco even BWP. He's in the same level as DQ, Jozy, Ruidiaz.

I'm sure they can arrange a TAM-level for a year and DP for next year when one of their DP leave. He had a lot of succcess under GBS and that alone can motivate him for taking less money.

Benedetto is a bit overrated by Impact fans because of his history against us. We saw him as a god when he was with America, but he was benched and underachieving in Mexico.

He is clutch though...he is damn clutch. That might be the reason he's seen bigger than he is, he scores huge goals.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Benedetto is a bit overrated by Impact fans because of his history against us. We saw him as a god when he was with America, but he was benched and underachieving in Mexico.

He is clutch though...he is damn clutch. That might be the reason he's seen bigger than he is, he scores huge goals.

This is exactly what I say all the time about Drogba. He's a big game player, I remember at Chelsea he went through many slumps but his epic CL final performance in '12 made the world forget about his several scoring drought. That's why I will forever pick prime Eto'o, Titi, Milito, Torres, Villa and more over DD.Gr8 player regardless.

Obviously Drogba was twice the player Benedetto is but they share similarities. I think Benedetto up front with Zlatan will be the most threatening duo of all. Opposite style compliment one another fairly well usually.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Hoffenheim made it 2-1 before the 60th minute. The chances to see Davies went to the toilet and that’s what happened.

Davies will definitely get minutes though

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
You take Benedetto over Gignac?

He's the best striker out of South America for sure and most likely just behind Gignac (imo) if you include Mexico but I don't see how he could be better than Martinez, Ibra, Rooney, Giovinco even BWP. He's in the same level as DQ, Jozy, Ruidiaz.

I'm sure they can arrange a TAM-level for a year and DP for next year when one of their DP leave. He had a lot of succcess under GBS and that alone can motivate him for taking less money.

To me he's better than all those you listed. Gignac is a tough one, but I still think Bennedetto edges him with his aerial play.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I haven't seen him play, but some Lyon fans are saying good things about him and hoping it's only a loan. Kinda the same profile as Legault; modern full backs that can also play CB.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I've seen him play with the NT a couple times. He works hard, and can make himself available with good fast runs on the flank. Looks technically sound. I like what I've seen so far.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
No I disagree with you, our CFs were definitely asked to play further back. Even if Mancosu and AJH like to play more deep, that's what they had to do last season. That's what Garde meant when he said he appreciated Mancosu's sacrifice and how he reminded him of Cavani when asked about what he thinks about him. There's a difference between what they were asked to do and the type of players they are. They didn't go out to get Amarikwa and Urruti randomly...that's the type of contribution away from the ball they were looking for. Urruti is able to give you that and also bring offense, so he is a fit. It's the same idea of last year, except we have a more talented player upfront.

And you can't really use Nacho as an example of how the false 9 failed us since a)The sample size is too small b)Of course it wasn't effective...Without Nacho on the flanks it's useless C)We played half the year in a formation that asks for the CF to play that role and we almost made the playoffs while having 3 CFs who scored a grand total of 6 goals.

Ok, we don't see the false 9 in the same way. For me it's not stricktly positioning, like having a CF backtrack or sit lower. But anyways, the point is still about options and if they're going in with a 433 again, that Novillo guy better be good or else it'll be too predictable, imo. I kinda have a hard time beleiving that with no upgrades in offensive positions, apart from Urruti, they'll become less static all of a sudden.

Edit: I forgot to say, I know that it's the same idea as last year and that's why they got Urruti. I think the idea is flawed and with the players they have they shouldve looked for a real #9, especially if they're going for few signings. Imo, to play how Remi wants they'd have to change more peices.

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Ok, we don't see the false 9 in the same way. For me it's not stricktly positioning, like having a CF backtrack or sit lower. But anyways, the point is still about options and if they're going in with a 433 again, that Novillo guy better be good or else it'll be too predictable, imo. I kinda have a hard time beleiving that with no upgrades in offensive positions, apart from Urruti, they'll become less static all of a sudden.

Edit: I forgot to say, I know that it's the same idea as last year and that's why they got Urruti. I think the idea is flawed and with the players they have they shouldve looked for a real #9, especially if they're going for few signings. Imo, to play how Remi wants they'd have to change more peices.

I didn't say it was strictly positioning, I just think Urruti is a fit because he covers ground and is a scoring threat. He's maybe not the ideal #9, but when you have a guy on the wings that'll get you 15+ goals, you don't necessarily need a goleador. It'd be nice, but they can still make it work.

I don't think the idea is flawed, I just think last year they lacked talent, but the formation took advantage of their best players at least. The two best offensive weapons were the wingers and they were heavily implicated defensively too. Taider had to make a bit of an adjustment and take a bit more risks since Krolicki brought no offense, but it fit the roster. What didn't fit the roster was the 5-3-2 because it made the Impact too reliable on the counter and the attack had no width at all with a bunch of full backs who couldn't figure it out and they didn't have the CF combination that fit that formation. The only thing that can explain why Garde was so adamant of that formation is that he wanted a low block and rely on Nacho to counter and not defend as much, but that wasn't enough.

This year it still makes sense because Piatti is still your best goal scorer and Novillo seems to be the same type of player in style more or less.

The keys to the season:
A) Finding a more creative mid to shoulder Taider (maybe Sejdic is that guy???)
B) Hope to Maradonna that Novillo and Urruti deliver
C) Rest Piatti as much as possible and avoid injuries .
D) Camacho and Diallo

IF those things happen, they're an improved team, but that's a lot of big IFs.

Last edited:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
So this is looking like a possibility to start the season

Piatti - Urruti - Novillo
Taider - Sejdic - Piette
Lovitz - Diallo - Camacho - Sagna

Is there anyone else that could play behind Urruti?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So this is looking like a possibility to start the season

Piatti - Urruti - Novillo
Taider - Sejdic - Piette
Lovitz - Diallo - Camacho - Sagna

Is there anyone else that could play behind Urruti?

Is Sejdic better than Azira?
Is Camacho better than Raitala?

Should we try to sign Amerikwa as a super sub, at a lower salary than last year?

Is there any chance to fit in Fanni by moving Cabrera somewhere?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Is Sejdic better than Azira?
Is Camacho better than Raitala?

Should we try to sign Amerikwa as a super sub, at a lower salary than last year?

Is there any chance to fit in Fanni by moving Cabrera somewhere?

From what I've read in this thread recently, we need to move more than Cabrera to fit in Fanni + more new players. We need to ditch Camacho and Vargas too. Hopefully, Urruti's new contract helps us a bit. I'd like to see Amarikwa back, we might have no one else after Urruti at CF/#9/striker.. lol. We'll probably just have that Academy guy, Balbinotti, who only played 2 games in Ottawa last season ._.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's way too early to slot Sejdic anywhere near the starting lineup for now, even though the coach does seem to like him. It's true there isn't a ton of competition at that spot tbf.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I won't pretend I know much about NCAA soccer and what kind of level of talent differential there is between players picked in different rounds.

But Sejdic being a 1st rounder and Krolicki a 3rd rounder must mean that Sejdic has more upside, right? I'm legitimately asking because for all I know, there is not much of a difference between a player picked in the 1st and the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad