OT: Impact Montreal Thread: "Carré rouge" frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
I understand the “home” situation blows, I understand the injuries blow, and I understand that your options as a coach are limited, but it’s hilarious to see Henry ride his 11 to death in every game in an incredibly condensed schedule and never even make subs when the option is available.

The guys are going to drop dead of exhaustion at the end of the year, and I’m sure it’s a big reason behind all of the injuries (and the cards, too). You’re down 4-1. Rest some guys dumbass, the game is over.

If he didn’t have his name I doubt there’s a single team that would hire him.

King Makar19

Dec 5, 2019
Blaming the coach is easy.

The players are garbage.

J.March was our only goos coach...... Garde was ok too..

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
There was a posting for a job as ''responsable des relations publiques et gestion médias'' with the Montreal Impact that stayed open for months on end this year, maybe even remains vacant now. I first saw the job offer in late May and last I checked in early September it was still there oddly enough.

I have a friend that makes a living off sports journalism, and he covers the Canadiens, Carabins, Rouge et Or, Impact, Alouettes, QMJHL teams, basically any Quebec-based sports team depending on his employers' needs and orders (a lot of coverage of the Canadiens, that's for sure).

Anyways, one thing he's always said that stood out to me is that the ones responsible for media relations with the Montreal Impact, though they changed over the last few years, were in his sense the most incompetent out of all the teams he ever covered. My friend's complaints ranged from the PR staff arranging press conferences at dumb or inopportune times (many examples of this, but most glaringly this summer, at the same time as a Montreal Canadiens' press conference, hence getting very little journalists to even show up), to erratically scheduling interviews (only to cancel them or backtrack on dates later), sending in the wrong players to be interviewed, making the journalists needlessly wait, and just being sketchy and unprofessional overall, all of these faults made even more flagrant in contrast to how clean and crisp he told me things were with pretty much every other pro team.

For the job opening to stay open for as long means that either the Impact's management recognizes the problem and wants to correct it the best they can but hesitate on whom to give the job to (pointing to indecision), there is some manner of internal turmoil and rumblings currently leading to a less efficient structure (lack of clear leadership, or a collective objective to strive towards), or the management just doesn't care enough about the team to actually even make an effort to hire someone post-haste and would rather ride the wave as is and wait (lack of enthusiasm and vision), all of which doesn't lead to happy and cheery thoughts about the team's future.

From the outside the Impact seems like a decent-enough organization taken as a whole in the MLS, with a former all-world player at its head coach, and an owner willing to spend money to make the team better. But once you take a closer look instead of just glimpsing it from afar, you realize just how weak, flimsy and superficial that image really is. What you find when you get to the bottom of things is an indecisive mess that lacks leadership, clear vision, belief and dynamism, from the very top of the hierarchy and the owners, the management, down to the coaches and players, until eventually that morass becomes apparent to the fans through the half-assed defensive play, lack of decisiveness on the field and deficient systems in place in the games.

Thankfully fans aren't superficial selllouts and are known to complain when the team flounders, so hopefully the backlash they (we) give is enough to kick-start some straightening-out process from the roots to the top of the structure, maybe provide a spark, or we're in for a tough end of the season like the last few games have been.

Even if they don't rectify things until the end of the year, I hope that they learn from this and change things up in a major way next season, with Saputo standing down and bringing in some experienced, more competent staff to take up management of the team (and PR for my friend's sake), better scouts, more money for exports on the team, and not hiring an inexperienced coach just because he's a former player and fan favorite. That's a useful PR stunt for a little while, but then we're stuck in limbo for the rest of the season unless that former player magically cultivates in himself some superior coaching skills, which Henry unfortunately hasn't.

And don't get me started on the overall make-up and talent level of the roster as it currently stands, that is another thing to rectify and it is the one single element that pisses me off the most.

All hope is not lost, but we're trending down alarmingly fast as things currently stand.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
There was a posting for a job as ''responsable des relations publiques et gestion médias'' with the Montreal Impact that stayed open for months on end this year, maybe even remains vacant now. I first saw the job offer in late May and last I checked in early September it was still there oddly enough.

I have a friend that makes a living off sports journalism, and he covers the Canadiens, Carabins, Rouge et Or, Impact, Alouettes, QMJHL teams, basically any Quebec-based sports team depending on his employers' needs and orders (a lot of coverage of the Canadiens, that's for sure).

Anyways, one thing he's always said that stood out to me is that the ones responsible for media relations with the Montreal Impact, though they changed over the last few years, were in his sense the most incompetent out of all the teams he ever covered. My friend's complaints ranged from the PR staff arranging press conferences at dumb or inopportune times (many examples of this, but most glaringly this summer, at the same time as a Montreal Canadiens' press conference, hence getting very little journalists to even show up), to erratically scheduling interviews (only to cancel them or backtrack on dates later), sending in the wrong players to be interviewed, making the journalists needlessly wait, and just being sketchy and unprofessional overall, all of these faults made even more flagrant in contrast to how clean and crisp he told me things were with pretty much every other pro team.

For the job opening to stay open for as long means that either the Impact's management recognizes the problem and wants to correct it the best they can but hesitate on whom to give the job to (pointing to indecision), there is some manner of internal turmoil and rumblings currently leading to a less efficient structure (lack of clear leadership, or a collective objective to strive towards), or the management just doesn't care enough about the team to actually even make an effort to hire someone post-haste and would rather ride the wave as is and wait (lack of enthusiasm and vision), all of which doesn't lead to happy and cheery thoughts about the team's future.

From the outside the Impact seems like a decent-enough organization taken as a whole in the MLS, with a former all-world player at its head coach, and an owner willing to spend money to make the team better. But once you take a closer look instead of just glimpsing it from afar, you realize just how weak, flimsy and superficial that image really is. What you find when you get to the bottom of things is an indecisive mess that lacks leadership, clear vision, belief and dynamism, from the very top of the hierarchy and the owners, the management, down to the coaches and players, until eventually that morass becomes apparent to the fans through the half-assed defensive play, lack of decisiveness on the field and deficient systems in place in the games.

Thankfully fans aren't superficial selllouts and are known to complain when the team flounders, so hopefully the backlash they (we) give is enough to kick-start some straightening-out process from the roots to the top of the structure, maybe provide a spark, or we're in for a tough end of the season like the last few games have been.

Even if they don't rectify things until the end of the year, I hope that they learn from this and change things up in a major way next season, with Saputo standing down and bringing in some experienced, more competent staff to take up management of the team (and PR for my friend's sake), better scouts, more money for exports on the team, and not hiring an inexperienced coach just because he's a former player and fan favorite. That's a useful PR stunt for a little while, but then we're stuck in limbo for the rest of the season unless that former player magically cultivates in himself some superior coaching skills, which Henry unfortunately hasn't.

And don't get me started on the overall make-up and talent level of the roster as it currently stands, that is another thing to rectify and it is the one single element that pisses me off the most.

All hope is not lost, but we're trending down alarmingly fast as things currently stand.

Arcadio Marcuzzi took the job.

Reactions: DavePeak

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Blaming the coach is easy.

The players are garbage.

J.March was our only goos coach...... Garde was ok too..
Henry isn’t the cause of all of the problems in the lineup, but he does nothing to help. His management of both the game and players is non existent.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t agree with the Garde firing at the time because, IMO, it’s hard to criticize the teams performance too harshly when the best player (and one of the top players in the league) barely plays. But he had some of the same problems as Henry does in terms of his stubbornness and inability to adapt to the situation the game throws at you. I think with more time and a better owner his other big fault (recruitment) would have also improved.

Part of it is lineup flexibility being difficult because of injuries, but part of it is also common sense. It’s also frustrating to have what seems to be a bad coach because the Impact of all teams can’t afford to go through a coaching carousel that rotates every two years. They need consistency and stability, and if Henry is the hill they’ve chosen to die on it shows that they care more about the prestige of the name than the on field results.

the only silver lining is that with Renard here, the team can hopefully build an identity independent of the coach and replace them without needing to constantly blow up the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad