IMFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Would they be able to do that?

• Clubs may use a portion or all of their available TAM to convert a Designated Player to a non-Designated Player by buying down his salary to at or below the DP threshold ($480,625 in 2017). If converted during the secondary transfer window, the DP in question may earn a maximum of $1.5 million on a prorated basis. If TAM is used to free up a Designated Player slot, the club must simultaneously sign a new Designated Player at an investment equal to or greater than the player he is replacing as a DP.

Targeted Allocation Money

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Ok let's move on

The way the team is talking about the "new acquisition that should be announced in the next few days" is giving me a Silva/Camacho vibe. Let's hope we get the striker equivalent

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
From what I understand, and am not gonna pretend I know anything about mls contract, joey wanted to sign him with the Tam money, Jimmy wanted security for his family , by adding those things that would have made him a DP, joey said no DP and we ll see how we can help, Jimmy wanted this signed, joey said no
Simple as that
NDS screwed this up by telling Jimmy yea yea don't worry you ll get all these things but he wanted them signed.cant blame him, just the way Mls contracts are made I guess.
Thing is if we didn't want to add him as a 3rd Dd they better sign one now

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
So depending on Taider's salary, they could used the TAM they got.

And Ciman had an unofficial NTC. Amazing.
Yup, we don't know Taider's salary or how much TAM we got exactly. But my estimation is around 1.8M for Taider based on the reported transfer fee and the salary that came out in spring. We have at least 400k in TAM, so I think there's enough there to lower his status to TAM player. I just don't think they wanted Briand as a DP, for whatever reason. Maybe the have a DP coming up or they (Joey) just didn't like the player that much.

phacochere

Mar 26, 2002
Yup, we don't know Taider's salary or how much TAM we got exactly. But my estimation is around 1.8M for Taider based on the reported transfer fee and the salary that came out in spring. We have at least 400k in TAM, so I think there's enough there to lower his status to TAM player. I just don't think they wanted Briand as a DP, for whatever reason. Maybe the have a DP coming up or they (Joey) just didn't like the player that much.

If your numbers are correct then we can't use TAM to reduce Taider to non-DP (ie. $500K) because Briand (new DP) would have a lower cap hit (1.2 vs. 1.8). Unless I misundertsand the rules (50/50 on that front) :help:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
If your numbers are correct then we can't use TAM to reduce Taider to non-DP (ie. $500K) because Briand (new DP) would have a lower cap hit (1.2 vs. 1.8). Unless I misundertsand the rules (50/50 on that front) :help:

You have to reduce the player under 1.5M, not 500k. That's why Silva is a TAM player and not a DP. The caphit for a DP over 24 years old is US$504,375 for a full year, but US$252,188 during the summer transfer window. Briand was going to get more or less the same salary that he had in France, so 1.8MUS estimated, plus the fee the impact paid, that was about 460kUS, so about 200k for each year. So the total salary was probably 2M per for Briand before TAM, but Briand was asking for about 150k extra per year in the package (that's what the agent said), to which the agent smartly declared he could've just asked for one year had Saputo answered his texts. In reality, Briand was DP without TAM, so either the Impact didn't want him as DP, or they just simply couldn't afford him with the package, for whatever amount it was.

This is all from my understanding of the ever changing rules in MLS. I think the saddest thing about it is that I believe Briand had good intentions, but the agent and NDS are complete amateurs.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Doesn’t Joey need to pay an amount of money to the league if he is to sign a 3rd DP?

In this case, it may look like it was only over 200k difference with Briand but much more out of Joey’s pocket.

I can’t fault the team in that story other than it confirms we have a cheap owner.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Doesn’t Joey need to pay an amount of money to the league if he is to sign a 3rd DP?

In this case, it may look like it was only over 200k difference with Briand but much more out of Joey’s pocket.

I can’t fault the team in that story other than it confirms we have a cheap owner.

Supposedly 150k extra for a 3rd DP, Cheaputo would've paid in total about 610k in fees instead of the initial 2M Guingamp was asking for + the 150k for the DP spot. It wasn't enough of a bargain. Either they really didn't want him as a DP, or the package was wayyyy higher than 150k a year, but the Impact hasn't denied any info the agent has given and the agent is not even trying to really put the Impact in a bad light when you hear the interviews.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
It’s sad how this overshadows our recent success in the MLS

I still have faith into signing a striker. When is the deadline again? August 8th?

Reactions: HabsHater9000

KLAV

Jul 19, 2018
I listened to both interview and quite frankly I am disgusted by the way impact handle their business.

Bush league stuff.

Now, I am suppose to go pay and watch Mancosu f*** things up.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Ok let's move on

The way the team is talking about the "new acquisition that should be announced in the next few days" is giving me a Silva/Camacho vibe. Let's hope we get the striker equivalent
Most likely. Cristian Lopez was the target we were hearing just before the whole Briand thing exploded, so he might be plan B.

Cristian López - Player Profile

We don't even have a CF yet and the goal was CF + starting #8/#10. Less than 2 weeks left.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
No other option than to move on at this point. Hopefully the team has a decent plan B in the works that isn't just adding a discarded MLS striker from one of the other teams.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I still think Briand could come on the initial deal if Cheaputo wasn't so proud. Let's say they meet in the middle and just offer the package for one year, I would think that the Impact has enough TAM to keep him from becoming DP?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I still think Briand could come on the initial deal if Cheaputo wasn't so proud. Let's say they meet in the middle and just offer the package for one year, I would think that the Impact has enough TAM to keep him from becoming DP?
By what I could gather from the google translate thingy his agent is leaving the door open . There should be a way of saving face for both parties if the willingness is there.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Would be curious to know if Briand ends up signing with another MLS team with no DP tag. Would be a major fail on impact side.

Would be even more embarrassing if he goes to succeed elsewhere while the guy we bring turns out to be another Mancosu.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Would be curious to know if Briand ends up signing with another MLS team with no DP tag. Would be a major fail on impact side.

Would be even more embarrassing if he goes to succeed elsewhere while the guy we bring turns out to be another Mancosu.

If they trash Briand like that, I hope they're planning to bring someone as good, if not younger and better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad