Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Unless they were planning on another DP, you just make Briand a DP and so be it

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Could it be that Joey didn't want to put it in writing because it would have forced him to declare these things to the league? Instead, Joey would have given Briand a "side contract" with Saputo Inc with these benefits.

That would be shady, but legal as it could be a "sponsorship" contract.

Reactions: TRG and dinodebino

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Could it be that Joey didn't want to put it in writing because it would have forced him to declare these things to the league? Instead, Joey would have given Briand a "side contract" with Saputo Inc with these benefits.

That would be shady, but legal as it could be a "sponsorship" contract.

Sounds like it yeah. Reporting those extras to the league would have apparently put Briand in DP category. I can see Nacho getting the Sponsorship treatment, as Joey hinted that Nacho's 600k salary in the first few years of his stay with the Impact was far from the real remuneration he was truly getting.

phacochere

Mar 26, 2002
They better be if they do not want a PR nightmare.

If you do not want him to have DP status, it better be because you NEED your slot, not because you just do not want him to be a DP. How can you justify that to the fans?

My reading is that they could only use TAM if he was non-DP -- if he was DP the only way they could use TAM was if it was to bring in another (more expensive) DP, which I don't think Saputo wants to do (he's been complaining about finance problems for a while). This assumes TAM is real actual money and not just a mechanism to manipulate theoretical cap hits (I'm not sure how it works).

I wouldn't expect we will sign another DP, hope I am wrong though.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Les coulisses du transfert avorté de Briand à l’Impact - TVA Sports

"
Sauf que, durant les derniers jours, le clan Briand a tenté d’ajouter quelques éléments supplémentaires à son contrat, notamment le paiement des frais d’éducation de ses enfants, une maison cossue, une voiture de luxe...

Tout cela n’a pas plu au club montréalais, qui avait déjà fait approuver par la MLS le contrat, selon les termes discutés au préalable. En fait, il ne restait à Briand qu’à prendre l’avion et venir apposer sa signature. Mais, de son côté, le clan du joueur ne souhaitait pas se rendre à Montréal sans avoir l’assurance que le club accédait à ses demandes.

Je peux comprendre la position de Briand, qui, à presque 33 ans, père de famille et à l’aube d’un grand changement de vie, souhaite améliorer son sort. A-t-il donné son accord à contrecœur, pour ensuite tenter de bonifier l’entente au dernier moment? Cherche-t-il un dernier contrat plus juteux? Sûrement. Mais son clan s’y est mal pris avec l’Impact."

Briand is on our discovery list, so if another MLS team wants him, they'll have to pay for his rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

boyinboyin

Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
My reading is that they could only use TAM if he was non-DP -- if he was DP the only way they could use TAM was if it was to bring in another (more expensive) DP, which I don't think Saputo wants to do (he's been complaining about finance problems for a while). This assumes TAM is real actual money and not just a mechanism to manipulate theoretical cap hits (I'm not sure how it works).

I wouldn't expect we will sign another DP, hope I am wrong though.

Indeed, I think it's real money and not only "extra cap space"

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Hearing the details from Briand's agent with Tony, it's clear Saputo wasn't too excited about the player. Didn't even answer his texts about the package after giving him a deadline. It was pretty much take the deal or GTFO.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Agent pretty much sums it up as the Impact didn't know what kind of player and person they we're getting and how cheap they were getting him. That's essentially the reason why the package thing blocked everything. It should've been a no-brainer, you're paying like one tenth of the transfer fee, but you act like you're making sacrifices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad