Salary Cap: I'm too lazy to think of a funny Salary Cap pun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Gryba is hurt and a pending UFA. Lots of risk there unless you're confident he'd want to re-sign quickly. Beaulieu is also out of the lineup now, hurt last night. I doubt he gets moved. Dreger said this morning on Montreal radio that there has been virtually NO interest in Markov. Contract is too much and he has had a terrible year. Is viewed as a player in decline. Justin Schultz is terrible. I don't see why we'd go after him.

The pickings are slim. Time to get creative, JR.

You may not want JR to get a UFA dman, but I bet that's the route he is looking at.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Because jarry is worrh more.

Mcginn +. Not just mcginn. Jarry+cap dump(kunitz) for mcginn
+McCabe + larsson seems fair.

He's a goalie prospect with a lot of potential, but that's all it is for the moment. If we offloaded Kunitz we could sign McGinn without much issue. One for one is fair I think. From Buffalo's perspective I don't know why they'd be giving us even more young players.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I hope you are right on the D side. I don't see any legitimate upgrades out there that don't cost a lot.

Forwards I wouldn't mind picking up another top 9 LW'er, depending on price.

Moved from the injury thread, as I started to get OT over there and dragged you with me Shady.

The only potential complication I can see with bringing up Oleksy is that he would need to stay up or we'd lose him if we tried to pass him through waivers, but that may not matter to the org if he gets us through the LJ injury. Andersen on the other hand is waiver exempt, and at this point might be a nice call up if we sustain an injury to a left side D, as he's looked steady and polished all year.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Doesn't Warsofsky have to pass through waivers? So he'll be coming back after his conditioning stint is over. They'll probably just juggle the group they have around.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Doesn't Warsofsky have to pass through waivers? So he'll be coming back after his conditioning stint is over. They'll probably just juggle the group they have around.

They already exposed him to waivers to start the year and no one bit, though obviously things are different now. But I don't think anyone imagines Warsofsky would make a good partner for DP though, and that's what we need.

Does anyone think he's got a short or long term future with us considering we have 5 LHD on our NHL roster right now?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The treatment of Plotnikov. The treatment of Cole. Preferring Hornqvist over Kessel even after Crosby-Kessel looked great together. Strapping Kunitz onto Line 1 for life.

Do you really expect him to do something different? Kunitz over the last 35 games (Dec 1st) has 8 goals and 25 points. Only 5 of those pts (2,3) are on the PP. That's a 46.8 even strength point pace.

You can point out the obvious all you want about how it's similar to KCD - and to an extent you're not wrong. But when our playoff spot isn't guaranteed, do you really expect the coach to make some changes over what's working? What happens if he tries that for say 5-10 games and it doesn't work. Do you keep forcing it? What happens if we miss the playoffs by 2 points? You should be able to see where I'm going with this. The coaches job is to make the playoffs. Right now we still do not have the luxury of not winning most of our games. In a few weeks this could change depending on how we, NJ and CAR all do.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The only goaltender I would be willing to deal right now is Zatkoff (obviously, not much value there).

We don't know enough about Murray and/or Jarry yet to move them. We don't know who's going to be better down the road.

We have the makings of a perfect goaltending situation in 2016-17, with Fleury starting, Murray backing him up and Jarry the No. 1 in the AHL (with Murray and Jarry flip-flopping to keep both fresh, rested and to experience life in the NHL).

I wouldn't want to mess with that.

They already exposed him to waivers to start the year and no one bit, though obviously things are different now. But I don't think anyone imagines Warsofsky would make a good partner for DP though, and that's what we need.

Does anyone think he's got a short or long term future with us considering we have 5 LHD on our NHL roster right now?

About the same as Chorney or Engo or Bortzy really. Is he a top 4, no. Is he a good bottom pairing guy, sure.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
When is Reid McNeill going to be given an opportunity? It is ridiculous. His brand of game would complement a Pouliot. Previously mentioned -- Oleksy would do fine as well. Both defensemen can move the puck forward reasonably well. Can clear the crease effectively, which not a single defenseman currently on the roster is capable of doing.

Hell, Niclas Andersen is not a bad option either. Although I would prefer someone with more of a mean streak.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
When is Reid McNeill going to be given an opportunity? It is ridiculous. His brand of game would complement a Pouliot. Previously mentioned -- Oleksy would do fine as well. Both defensemen can move the puck forward reasonably well. Can clear the crease effectively, which not a single defenseman currently on the roster is capable of doing.

Hell, Niclas Andersen is not a bad option either. Although I would prefer someone with more of a mean streak.

He's had a great year and is waiver exempt, but he's another LHD. He's been playing with McNeill, not sure who has been on their off side. Anyone know if Andersen is a candidate on the right?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Polak for the remainder of the season is .710 for San Jose. He carried a 3.1 cap hit for Toronto.

Boedker has a 3.750 cap hit and with 47 days left he'd be .947 against the Pens cap if they got him right now. The Pens play them on the 29th. Then it would be .786...

He really doesn't need to send out any cap to bring him in. Now a roster spot is another story.

We went over this last week. We're into LTIR cap space - thus it doesn't prorate like you've calculated. If we have 1.6m of LTIR space (or whatever the actual number is - but it's around there), all we can fit is a contract that's worth 1.6m - 1.6m total, not 1.6m prorated. Which means we couldn't even fit Boedker at 50% (3.75/2-1.875m) without sending someone to the minors or sending someone back in a trade.

We're going to have this same issue again next year with Dupuis still being on LTIR. This is the exact reason why Philly and Boston traded Pronger and Savard - being into LTIR space is a hindrance. It's not as bad as not getting cap relief for an injured player, but it still sucks.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hypothetically is it possible to conditionally trade the 2017 1st and if they end up not having the pick it becomes a 2018 first?

Yes. For example Pittsburgh could make this trade (not saying they should - this is just an example).

ARI trades: Boedker @50%
PIT trades: Cole, conditional 2017 1st.
Conditions: If Pit makes the playoffs in 2016, it's a 2017 1st. If PIT misses the playoffs in 2016 that 1st becomes a 2018 1st.

It's absolutely possible to trade that pick - you'd just have to ensure that the conditions placed on it do not match Toronto's so that you're not trying to give the same pick to two teams.

Whether you should or not or whether a team would actually make a trade with those conditions on it (a pick potentially being 3 drafts away) is an entirely different matter. But it is possible.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I didn't prorate anything. Remember the cap isn't static, it is done on a daily basis.

Right now, Boedker's cap hit to the Pens is .947 47 days left of 186 days.

When you're using regular cap space, you're 100% correct. However when you're using LTIR cap space, it's treated as if it were static.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When you're using regular cap space, you're 100% correct. However when you're using LTIR cap space, it's treated as if it were static.

Ugene, this is correct. I really wish you would accept this. This is correct.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
It really is amazing how much I've gone from obsession-level wanting Boedker to wanting nothing to do with him. Really nervous about this deadline.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It really is amazing how much I've gone from obsession-level wanting Boedker to wanting nothing to do with him. Really nervous about this deadline.

I was the same way, then I learned he's a super weak ES producer, maddeningly inconsistent and he's more of a RWer than a LWer.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What do you think about a Cole-Gelinas swap? Two players that are similarly overpaid and have been benched this year. Gelinas would be a better fit for us due to his size. Not sure how Cole would compliment NJ's D core, but if they aren't going to play Gelinas, why not?

I'd do it. I'd even eat the salary difference to make it happen (~600k). But that's less about Gelinas then just moving Cole. Gelinas has the benefit of the size and youth, and if he doesn't pan out, then his contract is done sooner.

But I doubt NJ would do it.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

So to keep it simple :laugh:

Whatever AAV goes out we can bring back in plus the LTIR (1.6 if that's correct)

If we traded Bonino we could bring in someone with a 3.5 AAV.

Bonino = 1.9
LTIR = 1.6
(Total = 3.5)

Player X = 3.5

That's correct isn't it?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Wanting or not wanting Boedker depends on how you view the way the League is trending.

Slowly but surely, guys who score 15 to 22 goals are going to be worth between 4M and 6M dollars. In an overly systematic league where goaltending and defense rule, guys who can score in the low 20's are going to be the new 35 goal scorers.

There isn't a single guy on this forum who doesn't want Okposo, but do you change your mind when you see he only has 15 goals on the season?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Whatever AAV goes out we can bring back in plus the LTIR (1.6 if that's correct)

Bonino = 1.9
LTIR = 1.6
(Total = 3.5)

Player X = 3.5

That's correct isn't it?

That's where it gets complicated and in short - I don't know. You'd think yes as long as you're still under 3.75m (or however much LTIR we get), but I can't say for certain.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wanting or not wanting Boedker depends on how you view the way the League is trending.

Slowly but surely, guys who score 15 to 22 goals are going to be worth between 4M and 6M dollars. In an overly systematic league where goaltending and defense rule, guys who can score in the low 20's are going to be the new 35 goal scorers.

There isn't a single guy on this forum who doesn't want Okposo, but do you change your mind when you see he only has 15 goals on the season?

It's less about how much (or little) they score vs how much money/term they want. Would I take Okposo at 6x5m? Absolutely. I'd figure out the cap and who's playing where later, and I'd be more than willing to take the chance that he rebounds back to how he's produced in past seasons. But if he wanted 6 or 7m (as speculated on) with term, then yeah, I'll pass on that. The same goes for Boedker. If he wants 5m+, I'd probably pass. But if he was willing to take a cheaper and/or shorter deal I'd probably take the chance that he'd do well here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Bonino = 1.9
LTIR = 1.6
(Total = 3.5)

Player X = 3.5

That's correct isn't it?

The answer should be yes. If we have 1.6MM left in LTIR space, that means we are currently using the other 2.15MM (assuming we were right up against the cap when Duper went on LTIR).

Bones would be taking up 1.9 of that 2.15MM so if you move him, the LTIR space should go up to 3.5MM.

Without seeing Botterill's cap model or whatever, it's impossible to be certain, but that should be how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce