Salary Cap: I'm too lazy to think of a funny Salary Cap pun

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't think a third wheel on the second line is out of the question for a guy like Wilson, but we'll see as we go along. A couple more goals before the end of the year and who knows maybe we'll have something. At least a cheap third liner would be nice and very helpful.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know if it's an "inability to play LW" or "better on RW than LW". I think Yotes fans lean more towards the latter than the former, but they have also emphasized in the past that he isn't strong on LW. That's enough for me to not want to trade serious assets for him, but I don't think he'd unable to play LW.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
A winger who can't play his on-side? Preposterous! He'll be fine.

I'm concerned about the 5v5 production, and his goal totals too. Coupled with him being an UFA after the season, and what we'd probably give up to get him...

I dunno man.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Friedman has a new 30 Thoughts out:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canadian-teams-will-be-busy-on-deadline-day/

In preparing for "Headlines" last weekend, I asked which teams were most insistent about adding pieces. When it came to forwards, the teams mentioned most often were Chicago, Florida, Los Angeles and the Islanders.

On defence, it was Los Angeles, Montreal, Pittsburgh, San Jose and Tampa Bay. No Dallas was interesting, especially since I linked Dan Hamhuis to them last week, so you wonder about your intel. But they didn’t get as many mentions.

More on Murray:

Calgary GM Brad Treliving wasn’t offering any clarity, but several rumblings indicate the Flames asked about Matt Murray during talks with Pittsburgh.

The 21-year-old was the AHL’s Top Goaltender and Rookie of the Year last season. I don’t think Calgary’s the only team that’s tried to pry him from the Penguins, either. So far, everyone’s been rebuffed, meaning they either aren’t trading him, or it’s in stealth mode. (Probably the former.)

I haven’t seen much of him, but didn’t come across anyone who didn’t like him. There are different opinions about how ready he is for the NHL, but he’s got a lot of fans.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Via Sullivan, Lovejoy out long term. That basically eliminates any chance of us moving him for assets and it probably locks us in with Cole for the rest of the season.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I would be a fan of acquiring Boedker. His most common linemate in his career seems to be Vermette, who isn't great in his own right. I'm a big fan of advanced statistics but it seems like a fit is more important. I feel like Boedker would be a good fit for Sid's LW, due to his speed and hands. Supposedly Winnik was a good possession player, and he probably is. The fit here was just bad. If we're going to be dealing one of our 2nds, or a prospect like Jarry, we might as well acquire a difference maker, and not a Russell/Holland level player.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Via Sullivan, Lovejoy out long term. That basically eliminates any chance of us moving him for assets and it probably locks us in with Cole for the rest of the season.

Fart.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind looking into a #6/7 for a conditional 7th for someone like Ehrhoff. Big assets or picks for guys like Russel, no.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
What do you think about a Cole-Gelinas swap? Two players that are similarly overpaid and have been benched this year. Gelinas would be a better fit for us due to his size. Not sure how Cole would compliment NJ's D core, but if they aren't going to play Gelinas, why not?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

For me, it also means shopping for a D-Man to REALLY shopping for a D-Man now.

So who's all out there?
Gilbert is done for the year.

Hamhuis
Russell
Gryba
Tyutin
Beaulieu
Markov
Emelin (maybe)
Justin Schultz
Fayne
Nikitin
Wiercioch (maybe)
MacDonald
Medvedev
Gudas
Carle
Hunwick
Bartkowski (maybe)
Enstrom
Myers (maybe)
Trouba (BIG maybe)

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

It also might force GMJR's hand into making a deal for a defenseman.

Also, there's this little tidbit too... not sure who we'd even want that's realistic from them, but still.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Honestly, we probably can't do much better than Ian Cole as the third right defenseman without trading a piece we don't want to trade (likely a draft pick).

If we can upgrade there, and dump his contract at the same time, then that's a win. Otherwise, just go with Pouliot-Cole and hope for the best.

As far as Gelinas is concerned, I'd be VERY interested in him if we traded Pouliot because he's a one-way offensive defenseman who can quarterback the power play and has a howitzer. His size is interesting but his defense is atrocious. I don't know who we'd have to pair him with but it would have to be somebody steady. He's strictly a left defenseman to my knowledge, as well.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Right now we're probably best off hoping that Cole can be righted, or because GMs are possibly paying so much for defense right now hope someone takes a chance on him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For me, it also means shopping for a D-Man to REALLY shopping for a D-Man now.

So who's all out there?
Gilbert is done for the year.

Hamhuis
Russell
Gryba
Tyutin
Beaulieu
Markov
Emelin (maybe)
Justin Schultz
Fayne
Nikitin
Wiercioch (maybe)
MacDonald
Medvedev
Gudas
Carle
Hunwick
Bartkowski (maybe)
Enstrom
Myers (maybe)
Trouba (BIG maybe)

Gryba is hurt and a pending UFA. Lots of risk there unless you're confident he'd want to re-sign quickly. Beaulieu is also out of the lineup now, hurt last night. I doubt he gets moved. Dreger said this morning on Montreal radio that there has been virtually NO interest in Markov. Contract is too much and he has had a terrible year. Is viewed as a player in decline. Justin Schultz is terrible. I don't see why we'd go after him.

The pickings are slim. Time to get creative, JR.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Didn't he say he wanted to add a defenseman even before the injury? Can't imagine the injury helps matters.

I think he said something about possibly looking into it and acknowledged it was a priority earlier on in the year. But also went on to praise the current group and that he'd be content largely standing pat. I believe that was part of the DK interview, yesterday.

• There once was a time when Rutherford was hell bent on adding a defenseman to this roster by the deadline. But things have changed largely because of two players that were added to the roster well before the trade deadline.

Trevor Daley has made a substantial, positive impact on the Penguins’ blue line. He possesses speed and veteran savvy. The coaching staff loves him.

Derrick Pouliot hasn’t been spectacular, but he’s been solid. He isn’t coming out of the lineup.
Rutherford won’t rule out bringing in a defenseman, but is content with this group.
“Our defense moves the puck so much better now,†he said. “It’s helped our transition game so much with these new guys. So much more speed on the back end.â€

• Rutherford said specifics aren’t available yet, but sounded concerned that defenseman Ben Lovejoy could be out of the lineup for a substantial period of time. He was replaced in Buffalo on Sunday by Ian Cole. Rutherford was pleased with Cole’s performance, as was Mike Sullivan.

Like you and I said... hopefully he stick to his guns. Adding some fringe second paring guy for undoubtedly far-too-much isn't going to push this group over the top. Or really anywhere much past where they are, currently.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The only goaltender I would be willing to deal right now is Zatkoff (obviously, not much value there).

We don't know enough about Murray and/or Jarry yet to move them. We don't know who's going to be better down the road.

We have the makings of a perfect goaltending situation in 2016-17, with Fleury starting, Murray backing him up and Jarry the No. 1 in the AHL (with Murray and Jarry flip-flopping to keep both fresh, rested and to experience life in the NHL).

I wouldn't want to mess with that.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
The only goaltender I would be willing to deal right now is Zatkoff (obviously, not much value there).

We don't know enough about Murray and/or Jarry yet to move them. We don't know who's going to be better down the road.

We have the makings of a perfect goaltending situation in 2016-17, with Fleury starting, Murray backing him up and Jarry the No. 1 in the AHL (with Murray and Jarry flip-flopping to keep both fresh, rested and to experience life in the NHL).

I wouldn't want to mess with that.

Zatkoff for a no. 7D would be great.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
I'm probably wrong, and I don't know how it would fit, but i could see Jarry+2nd for Boedker and Grossman/Stone. Grossman could be that "veteran" defensive minded guy for Pouliot, and Boedker gets his shot to be a game changer.

Not saying I love the idea of the trade, and if the value is there, but with the names that are out there, I could see it being a fit for both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad