Speculation: "I'm surprised this player DIDN'T get signed on July 1st"

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I'm pretty surprised at Gardiner being available. His underlying numbers were very solid, especially when you compare how he did with Zaitsev and without. I think Zaitsev is going to be a huge headache for Ottawa, too.

Reactions: TopCheese

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
.....and then gives the likes of Tyler Myers a big deal.
Vancouver just does what Vancouver does , pay them no mind . I assume that he was more of a positional need than Gardiner I guess or does Gardiner play the right side competently ?

Cuz the nucks have old man edler on the left as still their best defensman , and Hughes as their hope to be their next best and then J benn is fine on the third pair

Last edited:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Lots of smoke that Gardiner doesn't want to leave Toronto. I think Jake is taking his time and honestly, considering accepting something like 1m 1year deal and seeing if A) He can maybe play his way back into the mix next season by taking less than Muzzin or B) If maybe he can raise the interest by having a healthy year in a system and team he knows.

why would he accepts 1m/year.

Simmonds is higher risk and got 5 mil/1 year

Reactions: Seanaconda

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Is this the norm?

It's July 3rd and there are several quality free agents that usually sign on July 1 still out there.

There's been no signings of note since Lehner on Monday.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Dzingel and Gardiner.
It can only mean they’re asking for to much.
Either money or term.

Ya, those names stand out quite a bit.

Dzingel makes sense to Edmonton, but they clearly can't pay him much. The longer it goes, the more likely it seems to me that he ends up taking a cheaper deal with Edmonton.

Jul 6, 2016
I think if guys like Gardiner, Dzingel and a couple of others have not signed any new contracts yet is because the team that are interested to them (and vice-versa) have to free up some cap space to welcome them. They will be signed, no poblem.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Dzingel mainly.

To an extent Ferland and Johansson but I am guessing their injury concerns are keeping teams at bay.

I think he is pretty good, but talk about shitting the bed right before free agency, he was awful in Columbus.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just keep thinking that Mike Green keeps getting contracts with his injury history what the heck is up with Gardiner.

Is his back worse than we know?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I'm pretty surprised at Gardiner being available. His underlying numbers were very solid, especially when you compare how he did with Zaitsev and without. I think Zaitsev is going to be a huge headache for Ottawa, too.

He's waiting on the leafs to create space for him. i.e. after Marner signs or Ceci is UFA.

Yes the fans treated him like crap but his biggest defender and mentor Mike Babcock happens to coach the Leafs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanaconda

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I just keep thinking that Mike Green keeps getting contracts with his injury history what the heck is up with Gardiner.

Is his back worse than we know?

His agent is waiting for that Aho cap to come back off Montreal's books so he can create a bidding war with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad