Speculation: "I'm surprised this player DIDN'T get signed on July 1st"

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Who are you guys a lot or a bit surprised didn't get locked up yesterday?

My top two would be Jake Gardiner and Marcus Johansson. I thought for sure Gardiner would be snatched up early. My only guess on the hesitation, for both players (28 years old), is injury concerns. :dunno:

Here is a link to every free agent still available sorted by last seasons salary.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Who are you guys a lot or a bit surprised didn't get locked up yesterday?

My top two would be Jake Gardiner and Marcus Johansson. I thought for sure Gardiner would be snatched up early. My only guess on the hesitation, for both players (28 years old), is injury concerns. :dunno:

Here is a link to every free agent still available.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I assume Gardiner wants the money a top tier offensive dman gets. But all the gms also saw him play in the hockey mecca the last several years and also know all of his flaws.

Reactions: Bronn

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Ferland

How has there been no legit rumors as to who his camp is talking to. No sightings of him in any cities. Very odd.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maroon. Would've thought he learned from last year. Unless he really wants to stay in STL again and they are waiting to see how things play out before signing him

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think most of the guys left other than Gardiner/ ferland and Marcus johanson will be on either tryout contracts if they want to play or signed super late for cheap.

Jumbo Joe and Marleau will probably be signed for the sharks after they figure out the rest of the team and they ask jumbo if / what of the remaining cap he wanted to share with marleau

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Ferland

How has there been no legit rumors as to who his camp is talking to. No sightings of him in any cities. Very odd.
He was apparently in Calgary yesterday but that's just from a fan. Nobody reporting it. I agree it's weirdly quiet. Same with Dzingel

Reactions: Sam Spade

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Gardiner for sure, maybe the market isnt as great as we thought. Potentially short term low aav from Toronto?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Figured Marleau back to San Jose was a lock, but I guess they've got other pokers in the fire they want to take care of first? :dunno:
Oh I should have quoted this one. I assume they do what they do with jumbo every year and wait till the rest of their team is signed first. Ask jumbo if he wants to share that with patty.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I thought Marleau would sign with San Jose instantly.

I guess they have some bigger fish to fry, so it does make some sense. But it's not like he can play hardball when he openly wants to play for just the one team. He has his buyout cheques coming, and the signing bonus is in the bank. So what's the holdup? 1 year for 750K. Done and done.

Reactions: Tedst

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Ferland for sure
Ferland

He was apparently in Calgary yesterday but that's just from a fan. Nobody reporting it. I agree it's weirdly quiet. Same with Dzingel
If his rumoured contract demands were true, its no surprise really. I like Ferland and what he brings, but if he wanting around 6-7 million a year on a 6+ year contract, I would back away too.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Am I the only one who thinks Patrick Maroon should've gotten a contract yesterday?
I think he should have gotten a contract before yesterday.

If the blues arent sure if they want him I could see him waiting to see if a spot opens up for him . He loves his home town / wants to be by his kid again I'm sure.

The blues probably want to give a rookie his spot but I don't see why you don't just give him league min and the 13th forward spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad