Speculation: "I'm surprised this player DIDN'T get signed on July 1st"

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
There's literally no talk about Gardiner. Like...none.

So....either he's asking too much considering his back issue or the small possibility he wants to stay in Toronto and is hovering around to see if there's any way that happens.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
My guess with gards is he is pushing for top whack. He has earned that right. I think any team that gives him over 5 mil for 5 years will regret it though.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There's literally no talk about Gardiner. Like...none.

So....either he's asking too much considering his back issue or the small possibility he wants to stay in Toronto and is hovering around to see if there's any way that happens.

I am surprised nobody signed him today. I can sort of get being looked over day 1 but at this point he is the top name out there

Reactions: Sam Spade

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Lots of smoke that Gardiner doesn't want to leave Toronto. I think Jake is taking his time and honestly, considering accepting something like 1m 1year deal and seeing if A) He can maybe play his way back into the mix next season by taking less than Muzzin or B) If maybe he can raise the interest by having a healthy year in a system and team he knows.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Lots of smoke that Gardiner doesn't want to leave Toronto. I think Jake is taking his time and honestly, considering accepting something like 1m 1year deal and seeing if A) He can maybe play his way back into the mix next season by taking less than Muzzin or B) If maybe he can raise the interest by having a healthy year in a system and team he knows.
No chance thats happening.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think they really have to rush to get him tho. They normally wait till they have their team set before giving Joe Thornton whatever is left in the bank. Will probably deal with marleau last

Maybe SJ does not want either of them? Why do they HAVE to sign them? What if the team wants to move on instead of wasting roster spots on washed up players? OK, maybe Joe is not that washed up yet but Marleau definitely is. They are not obligated to give him a roster spot.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Maybe SJ does not want either of them? Why do they HAVE to sign them? What if the team wants to move on instead of wasting roster spots on washed up players?
They could I guess . It's pretty much what they have done with Joe for the past 4 or 5 years tho so I kinda expect them to reserve a spot for him till he decides he is done .

Marleau idk. I think the could use a league min winger but I don't see why they would have any loyalty after he lett

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Gardiner not being signed yet makes me wonder if he's waiting for Montreal to officially be able to make an offer. They're kinda tied up at the moment...

Reactions: hn777

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Gardiner not being signed yet makes me wonder if he's waiting for Montreal to officially be able to make an offer. They're kinda tied up at the moment...
They could even with the aho offersheet not being matched yet. But if they arent gonna sign him for big money idk who else would,

Well I guess maybe they could try a bigger sheet on someone else that they are waiting on ? But idk . Maybe he wants to see what dubas does as well.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Lol. What on earth would make you think montreal is his preferred destination?

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
Jake Gardiner is interesting. He’s a talented offensive defenceman with some clear struggles defensively. I find it hard to believe that any team interested in a D man hasn’t reached out to him.

Dubas has dropped hints (allegedly...I didn’t see/hear them, but others have mentioned it) about still hoping to bring him back. Maybe he’s part of the Leafs plan if they end up moving on from Marner somehow? Maybe the Ceci contract/arbitration confusion has something to do with it? (Ceci arbitration award gets walked away from, and the Leafs sign Gardiner with that 4.5 plus whatever is left after Marner gets settled?) to be honest, even as a Leafs fan, I can’t see him choosing to come back to Toronto after the way he’s blamed for everything.

If Gardiner was asking the world, I feel like we’d know that from the insiders. Perhaps he’s looking for the best fit, and he’s not all about the pay day...

I can’t wait to see what he signs for, and where. I’m sure it’ll be followed with plenty of “worst contract of the offseason” claims from Leafs fans, and then a refreshingly strong season from Jake.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Are you out of your freaking mind? Seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad