I'm really curious why it always has to come to hating the other team and their fans?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People hate us because of the tanking crap that they truly believed and the fixed lotery to land Crosby. I honestly don't get stressed about it, I could see the hate for Philly and vice versa for rival reasons but more then that I think some sports fan just take it a step too far. It's just a game/sport

Do you really think that any but a small handful of 'special' people actually believe any of that?

I honestly think it is almost like using the N word for some people, it has become so ingrained it is more a name calling exercise than genuine belief.

The lottery pick idea is really out there given that the lottery was handled by the top accounting firm in the country, and each of the teams had a representative in the room.

The tanking charge? Depends on your definition. I do not believe that a single coach or player in the history of the league has ever tanked for a better draft pick. Management has made some call up and send down decisions at times that would effect play, but that is the extent of it. Washington's calling up the goalie who was a greeter at walmart for the last month of their season in the Ovechkin/Malkin draft year is a good example, and yes the Pens did play with call ups, AS DID THE DEVILS, in the Mario draft year.

But anyone who believes more of a conspiracy than that really shouldn't be allowed to reproduce for the good of humanity.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Rangers fans (and some Detroit Fans) are the only ones still clinging to the "The draft lottery was fixed" crap.

As far as Philly? 90% of them are Neanderthals, 9% are trolls, and 1% don't get caught up in that crap.

CaptainMckenna*

Ya I live around nothing but flyers it's terrible even if they're friends can't stand them at games it gets even worse they really don't talk to crazy until mid 2nd period when the beer kicks in haven't got into a fight yet at a hockey game but did choke out a ravens fan be g a ****** St a steelers vs patriots game

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
There are only two teams in sports I hate... Flyers and Ravens. All the rest fall far behind them... As for with the people, there is an inherent level of **** talking, insulting, and badgering that should be 100% expected in sports. But there is undoubtably a line. There are people in ALL fan bases that ether were never taught, can't tell, or do not care what that line is. They are simply just jackasses who 9 out of 10 end up cuffed by the cops or banned from bars and such...

Other than those people, the normal **** talking and antics that come with sports fans, especially with divisional play should've been 100% expected.

plenewken

May 1, 2010
It's golf season for the Cryers :laugh:

Flyerstrophy_zpsc2e0bd00.jpg

RH710

Feb 25, 2013
BmkiCBzIIAAGt83.png

This is why for me. I mean, I try hard to not generalize an entire fanbase to hate. I have some good flyers fan friends. But, this culture is just something I will always clash with.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah, why don't we just have ties like in soccer and then hug after? (just kidding soccer is cool, couldn't resist though)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm not a Pens fan, although I love Malkin.

I just like this subforum a lot because there are some pretty knowledgable hockey fans here. Seriously.

Good natured ribbing is fine and can be funny sometimes (photoshop thread) but hate is a wasted energy so why bother?

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
I am simply taken back at the dialogue between us and Jackets fans and I'm curious why there is a need to generate hatred that doesn't exist and doesn't need to exist. Nothing happened to create animosity between the fan bases, yet a lot are trying to make it so.

I was in Columbus for game #3 and had a great time, the arena is great, the town was clean and very nice from what I saw and the fans REALLY supported their team. I was surprised, though I guess I shouldn't have been, at the hatred for the Pens in that crowd. Why? Why does it always need to be hatred?

"Crosby sucks" I heard hundreds of times. Really? The Art Ross Trophy winner sucks? Sad state of affairs for the NHL I guess. "**** this Penguins team". Again, really? Why the hatred, where did it come from? Does it have to happen every series, against every team? The amazing amount of mis-information floating around their board is jaw dropping. I replied to a post where a CBJ fan wondered why the Pens are on TV so much when Pittsburgh isn't even a big hockey market. Just wow. Another went on to say how lopsided the penalties have been because the NHL wants the Pens to win and that he didn't have the numbers but was sure the Pens had twice the PP that CBJ has had. It's 25-22, not to mention the 5-3 that CBJ had to get them back in game 4.

I guess I don't feel this way as a Pens fans, but I know some of our fans do. The only team/town I hate, and I mean hate, is Philly. I guess I am supposed to hate Boston, NYR, Washington and Detroit as well. Man, we spend a lot of time hating. I really don't understand the Detroit part. I have nothing against the Red Wings, they are a solid organization with a deep history of success that we managed to win a Cup against, am I really supposed to hate that?

I know for all tense and purposes this is Columbus' first rodeo and I would think they would spend more time enjoying it and less time just trying to find a reason to hate us. I don't understand this generation of fan at all anymore.

Because they are fools that made a horrible horrible decision in picking a team to cheer for, making them feel unmitigated shame, so they feel the need to defend their poor decision by pretending to hate the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad