I'm really curious why it always has to come to hating the other team and their fans?

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I am simply taken back at the dialogue between us and Jackets fans and I'm curious why there is a need to generate hatred that doesn't exist and doesn't need to exist. Nothing happened to create animosity between the fan bases, yet a lot are trying to make it so.

I was in Columbus for game #3 and had a great time, the arena is great, the town was clean and very nice from what I saw and the fans REALLY supported their team. I was surprised, though I guess I shouldn't have been, at the hatred for the Pens in that crowd. Why? Why does it always need to be hatred?

"Crosby sucks" I heard hundreds of times. Really? The Art Ross Trophy winner sucks? Sad state of affairs for the NHL I guess. "**** this Penguins team". Again, really? Why the hatred, where did it come from? Does it have to happen every series, against every team? The amazing amount of mis-information floating around their board is jaw dropping. I replied to a post where a CBJ fan wondered why the Pens are on TV so much when Pittsburgh isn't even a big hockey market. Just wow. Another went on to say how lopsided the penalties have been because the NHL wants the Pens to win and that he didn't have the numbers but was sure the Pens had twice the PP that CBJ has had. It's 25-22, not to mention the 5-3 that CBJ had to get them back in game 4.

I guess I don't feel this way as a Pens fans, but I know some of our fans do. The only team/town I hate, and I mean hate, is Philly. I guess I am supposed to hate Boston, NYR, Washington and Detroit as well. Man, we spend a lot of time hating. I really don't understand the Detroit part. I have nothing against the Red Wings, they are a solid organization with a deep history of success that we managed to win a Cup against, am I really supposed to hate that?

I know for all tense and purposes this is Columbus' first rodeo and I would think they would spend more time enjoying it and less time just trying to find a reason to hate us. I don't understand this generation of fan at all anymore.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
we spend too much time thinking rationally and being civil. Sports are a chance to throw that out the window and just hate and boo for pretty much no reason.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I kinda enjoy when some fans of other teams *coughcoughPhillycoughcough* say, or better do, dumb things that I read about in the paper. It sets the bar very low to keep my ego and sense of superiority at the high level it needs to be.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I can certainly understand the responses, but to an older guy like me it just seems off kilter. Even my wife and her niece are at it. Her niece is from Columbus and I'm certain doesn't know offsides from her 401K plan. When the series started they were joking on Facebook that they couldn't be friends during series. Now? I don't think we will see them at Christmas this year, it insane.

I'm waiting for one of them to get booted from Facebook for making threats. WTF?

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
You don't have to, but it does seem like some fan bases are more annoying than others. Last year:

Islanders - were okay. not much trash talk, but some.
Sens - were awesome. yeah, the whole "cooke / karlsson" thing, but I feel like the fans were accepting and I thought it was a pretty civil series among fan bases.
Boston - really didn't like them. very annoying. lots of negative comments and bashing of players. Even worse than the Flyers of the past imo.

I personally thought the BJs would fall between the Islanders and Sens for me, but it seems to be getting pretty bad. And lets face it, it goes both ways. Pens fans can be REALLY annoying. We bash refs a lot and any player that hits Crosby a lot. It's kind of part of the game between fans. Some of it gets a little overboard (Boston of 13, and Flyers of 12), but can't do much about it.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I dislike nothing about Columbus. Could very much do without the segment of their fans who harp on Pens being 'whiners' while going on and on and on about refereeing. Otherwise find CBJ quite likable.

CrozJawz*

I don't mean to offend anyone, but some teams' fans reflect their city's attitude and arrogance.

IMO, fans of ANY team from Boston think their **** don't stink and that they are entitled to championship after championship. Pats fans are the worst...

Same for NY and Philly, although Philly does like to direct their anger at their teams some times as well...LOL

LA is pretty bad too when it comes to the Lakers but not so much with the Kings.

On the mainboards here, Bruins fans are the worst IMO. No matter what the subject is, they swoop in and take over, saying everyone is "jealous" of the Bruins, every other team in the league is dirty except theirs, and that every other team is full of divers. When pressed on Lucic's dirty play and Marchand's swan dives and whining, they get all defensive and basically just tell the other posters to **** off.

Gotta love all the Crosby and Malkin hate as well. Some posters have Sid and Geno Derangement Syndrome and ANY discussion about them will result in them foaming at the mouth and coming up with whatever insult they can.

I rarely visit the mainboards because of the nonsense.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
they call their team lumbus. If that's not worthy of your disdain, I don't know what is. I know I wouldn't invite those people to my Christmas gathering.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can certainly understand the responses, but to an older guy like me it just seems off kilter. Even my wife and her niece are at it. Her niece is from Columbus and I'm certain doesn't know offsides from her 401K plan. When the series started they were joking on Facebook that they couldn't be friends during series. Now? I don't think we will see them at Christmas this year, it insane.

I'm waiting for one of them to get booted from Facebook for making threats. WTF?

I've had many conversations that have gotten pretty heated with friends who are fans of other teams. We have always been just fine after its over.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I've had many conversations that have gotten pretty heated with friends who are fans of other teams. We have always been just fine after its over.

And I'm sure they will be too, I just remember the time when you could watch a game with a friend/relative who was a fan of the other team and the losers team bought the next beer. Nowadays, not so much.

My wife actually felt uncomfortable when we were over there at game 3 and that shouldn't be the case outside of Philadelphia (fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life).

It's gone to a whole new level IMO, and it's not good.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And I'm sure they will be too, I just remember the time when you could watch a game with a friend/relative who was a fan of the other team and the losers team bought the next beer. Nowadays, not so much.

My wife actually felt uncomfortable when we were over there at game 3 and that shouldn't be the case outside of Philadelphia (fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life).

It's gone to a whole new level IMO, and it's not good.

That sounds like its at a different level than I have actually seen. I have never once seen it become uncomfortable between people who actually know each other. And that includes me at a game in Philly with a Flyers fan friend.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I rarely go into a series or game hating the opposing team's fans.

Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for them to act like standard humans, giving me a reason to dislike them.

YinzAintBurgh*

That's what happens when you are the best player in your respected sport. I'm sure Lebron has to deal with the same thing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm generally bad at getting a good hate going for sports alone, sports are entertainment and hating doesn't entertain me. I wish I was better at it, tbh.

That being said, **** Columbus, Ohio is used for that stupid joke.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Sports is Important. ™

Dicks-Sporting-Goods-logo.jpg

:laugh:

In summation, anyone who genuinely claims to hate fans of opposing teams, because they're fans of opposing teams and say things they don't like, is a moron.

OTOH, if you go to a game and the fan of an opposing team throws beer on your wife and kids, feel free to exercise genuine hate and hope that this man and woman you oppose will be sterilized soon so that they cannot reproduce further -- you would be right to do so. Unless you called his wife a ***** first.

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Went to a Philly game back in the late 80's at the old Spectrum. My buddy bailed and wore his Leafs jersey. I still give him **** about it. I stuck with my Mario jersey. An interesting experience. Lots of expletives hurled my way before, during and after the game. Not sure if Philly fans realized, I wasn't Mario. Wish I could have located the girls talking trash, might have been able to hook up. Pens lost 5-2 and we both just sat there hoping the game was over quickly. Not one person talked to us other than spreading brotherly love. Middle of the third period, I got hit in the head by a AAA battery. No damage or penalty as it was a glancing blow and the refs missed it. We stayed until the game was over and waited until way after the crowd left to leave. The whole thing was surreal. Not sure why there was so much hate since the Pens hadn't won a Cup yet and the Flyers had one a million games in a row against us. In a way, I'm glad the Pens didn't win. The only bad experience I ever had at a road game.

Carolina was great but Toronto was the best. Saturday night at MLG and Yonge street and beer with twice the alcohol. Even had good experiences in Capland.

Now that I think about it, the only road game I've ever been to where the Pens won was Carolina.

I wouldn't call it hate, but there is no circumstance where I will root for the Flyers, Caps, Habs or Bruins.

I like Columbus, a young, gritty, skating team that let's their young guys play. More importantly their addition to the East (along with the Wings) make the Caps cakewalk through the SE Division a thing of the past.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
they call their team lumbus. If that's not worthy of your disdain, I don't know what is. I know I wouldn't invite those people to my Christmas gathering.

They do not call their team Lumbus. That was something the Kings twitter started and it got picked up by others.

As for the 'hate' against Pens fans, I'd say Wings fans get it, too. Columbus is an easy drive from both cities, so Nationwide has gotten 'invaded' a lot over the years. And not all out of town 'guests' behave in an endearing manner.

And as for the responses on this site ... I've seen a lot of posts directed at CBJ that are pretty condescending. Not just from Pens fans, but this series has obviously seen an uptick. So, essentially, why wouldn't they be tired of everyone's ****?

There's also the culture of The Ohio State University ... just like how the culture of Pens Nation changed when all the Yinzers started hopping on the bandwagon, that's happening in Columbus, too.

With all that said, I haven't seen the irrational, rabid responses like you expect from Boston or Philly.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
You just have to embrace the hate. It's the greatest form of flattery. Nobody hates the lovable loser because they aren't a threat. I think if you're hated you're doing something right.

I don't hate Columbus or their fans because I feel somewhat sorry for them and would like to be them be successful at some point (just not against the Pens). I'd rather teams and fans hate us than feel sorry for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad