I'm really curious why it always has to come to hating the other team and their fans?

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
I think the lumbus' crowd has more reason to hate the Pens than the other way around, due to past arena take overs and such. Right now I don't have negative feelings for Columbus; that might change if I checked the main boards.

I understand the tribalism of sports, but nothing justifies conspicuous irrational behavior, at least not to me. This includes failing to realize that in most cases the team that dominates puck possession usually get the balance of the penalty calls in their favor -- and the refs should not seek to even it up for no reason. Also the issue of confirmation bias, just because the refs missed a call doesn't make it a pattern, idiots. Are you watching as carefully for when the refs blow a call in your team's favor?

Anyway, I both hate and love the Philly fan base for being great rivals. I used to just loathe the Washington fan base, but this year I don't care. I do hate the Boston fan base currently, though I admit they have some legitimate reason to hate the team I like ... I am ambivalent about Montreal due to all the Habs fans in my family and their Yankees fan like sense of superiority. Despite my feelings though, I'd never say something stupid like "Ovechkin sucks" or "Chara sucks." This is due to my desire to not say things that might appear transparently stupid to everyone.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
When my team is playing your team, **** your city, **** your team, **** the little school on the corner next to the Arena.

As soon as we're done playing, I'm good. Whether they are or not .... not my problem.

But, also remember that I have a background in Southern U.S. college football so that's where this attitude comes from.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
You don't think we have/had a large bandwagon fan base? Our board was downright maddening to read during the games for about 3 years. Every call was ********, and the anger towards the refs was borderline criminal. Thankfully alot of those posters don't come here very often anymore.

No, I'm talking about those on the main board who are siding with the Jackets for no other reason than they are playing the Pens.

And whoever ventured here... they aren't the same as the masses who assemble in the main board GDT and bemoan whenever the Pens win a hard fought hockey game, or receive a warranted power play, or are involved in a trivial on-ice matter. It is just astounding how vocal people have been in their rooting interest, that being the Jackets. It just seems more noticeable this spring. I mean... you have normally rational people going to great lengths to criminalize the Penguins.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I live in Philly, and let me tell you, I know all about fan hatred.
Fan hatred makes no sense to me, so you cheer for another team, who the hell cares??

I understand hating the team, but when you heckle an opposing fan in a very offensive way, there is no room for that. There is a difference between fun heckling and offensive heckling. Getting things thrown at you at a game like food is ridiculous, especially when it is something that can permanently stain your jersey. And when people want to fight you just because you're a fan of another team.

I've experienced both fun and offensive heckling in Philly. Not all of their fans are *******s, I actually really enjoy going to their games when I'm sitting next to someone who is willing to speak intelligently about the game and how each others team has been playing lately, and that actually happens more often than not, if you can believe it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't know. I only hate two teams with a passion - Montreal and Vancouver. The Montreal hate (I always disliked them) started after they knocked us out of the playoffs a few years ago. Vancouver I've hated for as long as I can remember.

But I've never hated on a fan who cheers for their team. I'll mock and rib that fan during the game, but never to the point where it's not fun anymore.

I was in Vancouver catching a Nucks/Kings game last spring, and the guy beside me were going back and forth all game. He missed the opening faceoff picture... Kings scored a few minutes later, and told him he could get his picture then :D. He laughed and said he'd wait for Vancouver to score. Had a great time. Then the next day in the airport (I was passing through for work and had 5 bags with me) I hear "damn Kings fans slowing **** down". Low and behold it was the guy from the game.

As for the Jackets... as a franchise I'd like to see them do well. Just not when they're playing my Pens.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
they call their team lumbus. If that's not worthy of your disdain, I don't know what is. I know I wouldn't invite those people to my Christmas gathering.

Just dropping in. Not a single Jacket fan ever uses that abbreviation, it's a creation of Kings fans and we have nothing to do with it.

I grew up a Hornets fan and my first baseball game was at Forbes. I've always loved Pittsburgh as a fabulous city (even in the '50s, when it was much less wonderful than today!) and have nothing but respect for Crosby and Malkin. However, as a Browns fan, I'm not too fond of the Steelers and, after frequent fan invasions of Nationwide, Pens fans are not high on my list of favorites, either. Visiting fans in any venue tend to be diehards - young, obnoxious, and often drunk.

No chance I'll be joining you for any holiday festivities, Ogrezilla, invited or not!

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Sounds like you're a little soft..

Fans pay the money that ultimately make these sports possible. They should be free to do whatever they want.. Last time I checked being a jerk isn't a crime.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
My opinion...

Two major factors combine to make people dislike the Pens.

1. The portrayal of Crosby by the national media. I recognize that he is your guy. I recognize that he is probably the best hockey player in the world (or can be when he is "on"). That doesn't mean that I need to be told that multiple times per game whenever the Pens are on National TV, coupled with the fact that NBC seems to think that there are only 6 teams in the league. But ratings... yes, the Pens draw well. But, NBC should then put the Pens on when they are playing people other than Detroit, NYR, and Philly. This is a long standing problem I have with NBC and won't be solved here. If they want to help grow the game, they need to show other teams as well. Maybe go with regional showings more like the NFL.

2. The behavior of Pens fans at Nationwide during the regular season. Some of them are local to Columbus and/or Ohio, some of them bus in. CBJ fans also have a problem with Buffalo drunken idiots as well as some from Chicago and Detroit (although they have been reducing in numbers over the years). There is a line between being a good "guest" and making an ass of yourself. Know where that line is and there shouldn't be any problems.

While the CBJ board has a few "interesting" posters, most of us are older than you are probably assuming. This is the only place we have found to discuss the CBJ with regularity. Remember that GDTs tend to be in the heat of the moment and discount some of the stupid things that are said.

Last edited:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Most of their fans are OSU fans.... reason enough to hate them. Love their arena district though.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
My opinion...

Two major factors combine to make people dislike the Pens.

1. The portrayal of Crosby by the national media. I recognize that he is your guy. I recognize that he is probably the best hockey player in the world (or can be when he is "on"). That doesn't mean that I need to be told that multiple times per game whenever the Pens are on National TV, coupled with the fact that NBC seems to think that there are only 6 teams in the league. But ratings... yes, the Pens draw well. But, NBC should then put the Pens on when they are playing people other than Detroit, NYR, and Philly. This is a long standing problem I have with NBC and won't be solved here. If they want to help grow the game, they need to show other teams as well. Maybe go with regional showings more like the NFL.

2. The behavior of Pens fans at Nationwide during the regular season. Some of them are local to Columbus and/or Ohio, some of them bus in. CBJ fans also have a problem with Buffalo drunken idiots as well as some from Chicago and Detroit (although they have been reducing in numbers over the years). There is a line between being a good "guest" and making an ass of yourself. Know where that line is and there shouldn't be any problems.

While the CBJ board has a few "interesting" posters, most of us are older than you are probably assuming. This is the only place we have found to discuss the CBJ with regularity. Remember that GDTs tend to be in the heat of the moment and discount some of the stupid things that are said.

I get your position on the second point, however it sounds to me like the first point should be a dislike for NBC, not the Pens. NBC isn't situated in Pittsburgh, they choose what they broadcast, if they are jamming Crosby every chance they get, thats not the fault of the Pens, the City, the Fans, etc. Hate NBC for that perhaps, but it doesn't mean hate the player (Sid) team, fans, etc. An example of this, during the NBC feeds, Pierre McGuire likes to tote the Jackets for being tough, up and coming, hard to play against, and so on. The first few games it got so bad I elected to watch a CBC feed (lower quality in all regards) instead of listening to incessant babbling. as much as what he's saying may annoy me, I don't hate on the Columbus team, organization or fans. I've actually enjoyed watching the Jackets play and think they have a bright future. I don't hate them because McGuire is an annoying talking head.

In some ways it is unfortunate the amount of media hype Sid gets. i get the feeling that many fans are in the same position, where the overexposure of the guy has led to negative outlook, and as such those fans miss out on enjoying a truly special player when he's not even the responsible entity for said fans dislike.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'll never understand why people get mad that the NHL showcases Crosby so much.

Wow.. the NHL trying to showcase their best player? What a crazy, crazy concept. :sarcasm:

That's nuts!

Audi should remove all of the Audi S4's and R8's from their showrooms.. because showcasing their best cars is just flat out dumb.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
People hate us because of the tanking crap that they truly believed and the fixed lotery to land Crosby. I honestly don't get stressed about it, I could see the hate for Philly and vice versa for rival reasons but more then that I think some sports fan just take it a step too far. It's just a game/sport

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'll never understand why people get mad that the NHL showcases Crosby so much.

Wow.. the NHL trying to showcase their best player? What a crazy, crazy concept. :sarcasm:

That's nuts!

Audi should remove all of the Audi S4's and R8's from their showrooms.. because showcasing their best cars is just flat out dumb.

Again with the weird comparisons. Audi is one brand. The NHL has 30 teams. Not really relevant.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
People hate us because of the tanking crap that they truly believed and the fixed lotery to land Crosby. I honestly don't get stressed about it, I could see the hate for Philly and vice versa for rival reasons but more then that I think some sports fan just take it a step too far. It's just a game/sport

At the time, CBJ had the same number of balls in the hopper that Pittsburgh did. The shoe could have easily been on the other foot. When we didn't get the #1 draw, I did want Pittsburgh to get it because I saw it as a way to save the franchise in Pittsburgh.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I get your position on the second point, however it sounds to me like the first point should be a dislike for NBC, not the Pens. ... snip

Believe me, there is a dislike for NBC. I wouldn't say that the feeling for the Pens is dislike but rather annoyance due to media coverage. You get sick of hearing things over and over and over again. You just want it to go away.

Same thing would be true for the NFL if the only games ever shown on TV were between some combo of the Cowboys, Redskins, Ravens, Bears, Patriots, and Broncos. (I did leave the Steelers off on purpose.) Looking at it from a different fanbase's perspective do you see how that could get annoying?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Again with the weird comparisons. Audi is one brand. The NHL has 30 teams. Not really relevant.

It's alright if that analogy was a bit over your head, I can explain it.. Lol.

Look - what I'm trying to say is businesses have ""flagship"" models that they use to generate buzz. Whether you want to admit it, Crosby is the best in class when it comes to NHL players. He's the best in the league by far. Hence, that is why the NHL has a vested interest to market him so aggressively because he is by far their best asset. The crowned jewel of the league if you will.

Audi? Same thing. Their R8 is the best model in their whole fleet (which has about 30 different models/configurations) - they would be silly not to market that thing.

This is just marketing 101.. you identify your best product and market the crap out of it. NHL does that with Crosby, NBA with Lebron.. thats just how it works.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
the funny thing about NBC coverage is that every hockey fan says "they favor the other team blah blah blah". it's hysterical how during the same game fans from both teams will insist upon the same thing.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
It's alright if that analogy was a bit over your head, I can explain it.. Lol.

Look - what I'm trying to say is businesses have ""flagship"" models that they use to generate buzz. Whether you want to admit it, Crosby is the best in class when it comes to NHL players. He's the best in the league by far. Hence, that is why the NHL has a vested interest to market him so aggressively because he is by far their best asset. The crowned jewel of the league if you will.

Audi? Same thing. Their R8 is the best model in their whole fleet (which has about 30 different models/configurations) - they would be silly not to market that thing.

This is just marketing 101.. you identify your best product and market the crap out of it. NHL does that with Crosby, NBA with Lebron.. thats just how it works.

I see your point, the question then becomes what happens when Audi has a major recall on the R8 because of some major defect? (it doesn't make it past the 1st round of the playoffs - not saying this year, just in general). Your marketing department has put all of its eggs in one basket. Is that a good strategy?

87CROSBYBEST87

Jan 20, 2014
In the end; does any real Penguins fan really care what flyer, caps, redwings or hab fans really think?

Go Pens Go

Finish them off tonight

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I generally don't starting "hating" opposition fans until they start to get whiny (ie. "refs favor the Pens!"), or hypocritical (ie. Boston or Philly fans crying every time something even remotely "illegal" happens against them), or flat out make things up (ie. "Crosby doesn't produce when it matters").

Unfortunately, there's been precious few opposition fans who haven't fallen into one of the above categories whenever the Pens have played their team in a series.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I get your position on the second point, however it sounds to me like the first point should be a dislike for NBC, not the Pens. NBC isn't situated in Pittsburgh, they choose what they broadcast, if they are jamming Crosby every chance they get, thats not the fault of the Pens, the City, the Fans, etc. Hate NBC for that perhaps, but it doesn't mean hate the player (Sid) team, fans, etc. An example of this, during the NBC feeds, Pierre McGuire likes to tote the Jackets for being tough, up and coming, hard to play against, and so on. The first few games it got so bad I elected to watch a CBC feed (lower quality in all regards) instead of listening to incessant babbling. as much as what he's saying may annoy me, I don't hate on the Columbus team, organization or fans. I've actually enjoyed watching the Jackets play and think they have a bright future. I don't hate them because McGuire is an annoying talking head.

In some ways it is unfortunate the amount of media hype Sid gets. i get the feeling that many fans are in the same position, where the overexposure of the guy has led to negative outlook, and as such those fans miss out on enjoying a truly special player when he's not even the responsible entity for said fans dislike.

No... but I can see how it makes it easier to hate the player when he's getting jammed down your throat all the time.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Yep for sure, but hate NBC for it, not Sid.
I live in leaf nation, so I hear constantly about them from local media jamming it down everyones collective throat. I have zero love for them, but I don't dislike their players, I mock them because 9 out of 10 hockey friends are leaf fans.
Difference between the two is that the media here is local to TML, and supported heavily by MLSE. NBC isn't a Penguins conduit.

CBJgirl, I'm not trying to say there isn't merit to what your saying, it just frustrates me that so often peoples complaint is that then NHL over advertises Sid or the Penguins, or NBC talks about him nonstop, etc. Then people dislike him, and miss out on enjoying a generational talent. If they'd sit back and neutrally watch him, I think they'd enjoy what they see. Except Flyers fans.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I go into all HF "relationships" believing the other person will be a complete and total moron. Then I'm either correct, or pleasantly surprised.

That makes it alot less stressful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad