I'm really curious why it always has to come to hating the other team and their fans?

DeadGator401

Feb 7, 2011
You're reading into it too much.

I don't like your team because they're the opposite of mine.

It's human competitive nature.

ilovealistair

Apr 14, 2014
It's like anything else. Of course I'm protective of Crosby and wish we had goons on our team to protect him, but full on hate is obnoxious. You can dislike a team (Flyers) as a whole and still like some players on it. The really rowdy fans are stupid, just avoid them.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
It's like anything else. Of course I'm protective of Crosby and wish we had goons on our team to protect him, but full on hate is obnoxious. You can dislike a team (Flyers) as a whole and still like some players on it. The really rowdy fans are stupid, just avoid them.

This sums up my thoughts pretty good actually. I guess respect is gone from the game as far as fans are concerned. I respect that Giroux is a tremendous talent, but I don't root for him since he plays for Philly. I find him as irritating as Philly fans find Crosby I am sure, but I recognize he is one of the leagues best talents.

I guess I'm surprised the Pens don't get that respect from Columbus. They wen't straight from basically having zero opinion of the Pens to full on Crosby hate in less than one game, a game that Sid did nothing at all.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Every damn city thinks they are the best. We are very fortunate to be the City of Champs twice when the Pirates/Steelers killed it and once again when the Steelers/Pens dominated.

But **** it... as long as the Flyers don't win a Cup, I love life. ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Every damn city thinks they are the best. We are very fortunate to be the City of Champs twice when the Pirates/Steelers killed it and once again when the Steelers/Pens dominated.

But **** it... as long as the Flyers don't win a Cup, I love life. ;)

I'm pretty sure I'm moving back this summer. I'm pretty happy about it.

tjm5054

Apr 23, 2013
I would guess many of these CBJ fans are also Buckeye fans...Have you ever met a Buckeye fan or been to the horseshoe for a game? By far the worst fanbase in all of sports.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Maybe it's just me, but I feel no malice whatsoever toward the Columbus Blue Jackets and their fans. Didn't have much for the Islanders last year, either.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I understand the 'hatred' in sports.

What I do not get is anyone trying to convince those who say that they hate you and your team (in very vivid language) to change their minds.

Not only is it tilting at windmills to try and get a rational response from someone who is wearing a Crosby in a baby carriage avatar, but seriously, he is a grown man using a Crosby in a baby carriage avatar. Or calling him Crysby, or saying the Pens just started or 2005 or something similar. Just laugh at him. There really is no other appropriate response.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Because it's sports?

As for Columbus fans, I don't have a problem with them. It is everybody who has hitched onto their bandwagon that I can't stand. All they've done is complain about officiating - which hasn't been that bad - and just been plain insufferable.

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
I wonder how much of the hatred for other teams revolves around the teams your friends, acquaintences, coworkers and those we talk trash to root for.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I understand the 'hatred' in sports.

What I do not get is anyone trying to convince those who say that they hate you and your team (in very vivid language) to change their minds

Not only is it tilting at windmills to try and get a rational response from someone who is wearing a Crosby in a baby carriage avatar, but seriously, he is a grown man using a Crosby in a baby carriage avatar. Or calling him Crysby, or saying the Pens just started or 2005 or something similar. Just laugh at him. There really is no other appropriate response.

Yup.

And then I'm immediately reminded of this....

idiosssscracy_1.jpg

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
How can anyone hate Columbus? They're fun to watch and as far as the city and their fans are concerned...who cares?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Because it's sports?

As for Columbus fans, I don't have a problem with them. It is everybody who has hitched onto their bandwagon that I can't stand. All they've done is complain about officiating - which hasn't been that bad - and just been plain insufferable[

You don't think we have/had a large bandwagon fan base? Our board was downright maddening to read during the games for about 3 years. Every call was ********, and the anger towards the refs was borderline criminal. Thankfully alot of those posters don't come here very often anymore.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Because we have Crosby and we must defend him

Crosby has an Abercrombie & Fitch model waiting at home for him:

IMG00004-20100512-2022-480x515.jpg

Along with somewhere north of $100 million.

I doubt that Flyer fans saying he sucks all the time makes him do more than laugh at them. Nothing I can say to 'defend' him competes with what he does on the ice, or for that matter this.

(Mod Edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Gallagher

Guess who's back.
Apr 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
Columbus fans are alright. **** the Bruins and Flyers fans, though. They can all get bent.

Flyers fans for obvious hatred reasons. Filthydelphia sucks.

Bruins fans have an inflated sense of self worth and major superiority complexes. I'm sick of every damn discussion on the main boards being turned into "Lulz Bruins are the best, look at our team, with all this clean hardworking players, such as Lucic, or Marchand, who aren't at all dirty, ******* ***** like those crybabies on the Pens, Crosby and Malkin."

Last edited:

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
The basic idea is that, as humans, we naturally form strong group (or tribal) identities. We tend to see people in our group in the best possible light, and outsiders (possible enemies) in the worst possible light. In short, it's just our animal brains doing animal brain stuff that helped to keep us alive in a state of nature.

For more, read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalism#Tribalism_and_evolution

"In complex societies, this tribalistic impulse can also be channelled into more frivolous avenues, manifesting itself in sports rivalries and other such "fan" affiliations."

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
You don't think we have/had a large bandwagon fan base? Our board was downright maddening to read during the games for about 3 years. Every call was ********, and the anger towards the refs was borderline criminal. Thankfully alot of those posters don't come here very often anymore.

I believe he is referencing fans of other teams that want to see the Jackets win because they hate the pens and share no special affinity for the Jackets. I could be wrong in my interpretation of that post. I myself have no problems with those who wish to root vicariously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad