Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Only way he gets better is to play Ilya, I would play Varly 55% of the remaining games, and play Sorokin 45% of the time. Just the same as if Griess was in the net. Only way to get better is more exp. Long range picture here.

Dobson, Bellows, and Wahlstrom too. I'm tempted to say Ho-Sang too and I can't stand him. Not winning the Stanley cup this year and we're a little worse than last year with Boychuk and Toews gone. While losing to Tampa in six sounds good we didn't win a game unless both of the big guys were out. Our offense which is bad at worst and inconsistent at best is taking this team no where. They've been carried by the goalies for too long.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
So after reading a number of comments about Sorokin in different threads recently... I'm here to stick up for him as I did for Pelech just a few years ago.

He's going to be fine. Anywhere from a franchise to an above average starting goalie. But a definite NHL starter. Personally, I think he will be closer to stardom than just pedestrian.

And you critics are all chuckleheads! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
He’s 6-0-0 in his last 6 starts, giving up 9 goals in those 6 games, his goals against in that stretch is under 1.50 and his save percentage is .934. That’s similar to his stats in Russia, which the pundits said he’d never be able to do in the NHL.

So after a tough stretch to start his season, where he gave up 11 goals in his first 3 starts, he’s given up only 9 in his next 6 games.

Strange thing is, he’s not even playing his best. Even with his win streak and great stats the last 6 games, I’d say at least a third of those goals weren’t great goals against. So imagine when he’s completely on his game, he’s gonna be scary to play against.

We need to get him signed long term ASAP. Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s the guy someone tries to sign to an offer sheet.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Thought the first goal he should have stopped second he was screened but a stoppable goal. After that he made a few big saves to give us a chance for 2 points.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
He’s 6-0-0 in his last 6 starts, giving up 9 goals in those 6 games, his goals against in that stretch is under 1.50 and his save percentage is .934. That’s similar to his stats in Russia, which the pundits said he’d never be able to do in the NHL.

So after a tough stretch to start his season, where he gave up 11 goals in his first 3 starts, he’s given up only 9 in his next 6 games.

Strange thing is, he’s not even playing his best. Even with his win streak and great stats the last 6 games, I’d say at least a third of those goals weren’t great goals against. So imagine when he’s completely on his game, he’s gonna be scary to play against.

We need to get him signed long term ASAP. Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s the guy someone tries to sign to an offer sheet.
Pretty sure he's priority #1 this offseason next to pelech btw

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Isles priority appears to be Pelech, corner stone of Isles D, leaving enough space for future signing of Barzal, Dobson, Wahlstrom because their young talents are hard to replace, and then Beau and then Sorokin. Goalies can have up and down seasons. Hope he will stay though.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Isles priority appears to be Pelech, corner stone of Isles D, leaving enough space for future signing of Barzal, Dobson, Wahlstrom because their young talents are hard to replace, and then Beau and then Sorokin. Goalies can have up and down seasons. Hope he will stay though.
He's staying lol. would be stupid to let go of him

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
I was told he stinks
Yeah! It was pretty clear after his first 3 games, while dealing with a new country, a new culture, a new language, new teammates, new rink size and new style of play, when he didn't play like a superstar, that he was a complete bust! Wasted draft pick.. wasted roster spot.. wasted salary in a cap world. I can't believe some people actually had hopes we were acquiring a capable NHL goaltender. :rolleyes:

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
From what I can gather, half are loving hating him and half are hating loving him and half want to have his baby.. or something? :huh:

Reactions: Lek and Not4u

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I was told he stinks

I mean, if we’re going to just remove the major stinkers of COURSE his stats are going to look insane. If we remove the shutouts as well and go with the last 5, he has a .917 save percentage over that time. Not the best, not the worst.

There are some pretty bad goals over that span, but there are also some insane saves. I’m banking on his angles and rebound control getting better and better as he gets more experience, and if they do it seems like we’re going to have an elite goalie on our hands to go along with our elite defensive system - that’s a combination that wins championships. It will take some patience though, and I don’t see him taking the full time reigns until after next season given Trotz’s preference for seasoned netminders

Reactions: Not4u

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I mean, if we’re going to just remove the major stinkers of COURSE his stats are going to look insane. If we remove the shutouts as well and go with the last 5, he has a .917 save percentage over that time. Not the best, not the worst.

There are some pretty bad goals over that span, but there are also some insane saves. I’m banking on his angles and rebound control getting better and better as he gets more experience, and if they do it seems like we’re going to have an elite goalie on our hands to go along with our elite defensive system - that’s a combination that wins championships. It will take some patience though, and I don’t see him taking the full time reigns until after next season given Trotz’s preference for seasoned netminders
Leave all the games in and he is still 7-2-1 with a .915 sv% and a GAA of 2.08. That's excellent for a rookie playing his first 10 games in NA.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
He so far show some good games but yes he really need to improve on that rebound control, an area that can be exposed. Once he get hold of that and try to see better or react faster when being screened in front, I think he can be a true dependable starter in this league. I think he is one or two years away from being elite.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for those numbers, Seph. Those are good numbers for a rookie backup ... who's not really a rookie. Love the kid. Very good chance he'll be better than average when he can figure out where things are. Too often, he's just not sure how to improve his sight-lines. Could be the various barriers mentioned above contributing to this. As he gets comfortable, he'll wow you. The weak goals he's letting in are fixable. Hear me now, believe me later.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Can someone smarter than me post his overall numbers minus his first game when he found out he was starting 5min before puck drop?
Just curious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad