Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Anybody know the story behind the fighter jet?

Interesting. First I thought something to do with Grumman’s LI history. But looks like a Russian Su-27/35 Flanker. Maybe he has a military relationship. Mayfield’s brother pilots an F-16.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would put him in either tonight or on Saturday. Don't want him to sit too long after his first game. Got to get him back on the horse so to speak.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think it may be time to see what Sorokin can do. Isles usually split goaltending assignments. Not happy with a couple of backbreaking goals let in by Varly against the Caps. If there is a time The Isles needed to ride a hot Goalie, it is now. Put him in Coach. See if he can heat up.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it may be time to see what Sorokin can do. Isles usually split goaltending assignments. Not happy with a couple of backbreaking goals let in by Varly against the Caps. If there is a time The Isles needed to ride a hot Goalie, it is now. Put him in Coach. See if he can heat up.
There are few posters here who are as eager as I am to see our young players in there come what may, but Sorokin's a different story. Goalies always are. His problems are complex and will take time to fix. First and foremost, he doesn't know where to position himself and his anticipation is terrible. Beyond that, he can't handle the puck and he's a rebound machine. Right now, in short, he is goalie capable of making the spectacular, purely reactionary, saves but has trouble making good, or even on occasion, routine ones. Having said all of that, my bias is still to put him in there but we don't know what is mental makeup is or if he has the grit to fight his way through what will undoubtedly be some tough nights. Getting beat too often would not be good for his psyche. Compounding the problem is the fact that I think Bport would be a depressing, black hole for him under current conditions. (Insert general Bridgeport, CT snipes here.) Just not sure he'd get much out of the AHL the way it is shaping up. In a way, it's a '19-'20 Dobson-esque problem. There is nowhere to put him that is going to help him other than with the big club and he's not really ready for that.

Reactions: TMI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There are few posters here who are as eager as I am to see our young players in there come what may, but Sorokin's a different story. Goalies always are. His problems are complex and will take time to fix. First and foremost, he doesn't know where to position himself and his anticipation is terrible. Beyond that, he can't handle the puck and he's a rebound machine. Right now, in short, he is goalie capable of making the spectacular, purely reactionary, saves but has trouble making good, or even on occasion, routine ones. Having said all of that, my bias is still to put him in there but we don't know what is mental makeup is or if he has the grit to fight his way through what will undoubtedly be some very tough nights. Getting beat too often would not be good for his psyche. Compounding the problem is the fact that I think Bport would be a depressing, black hole for him under current conditions. (Insert general Bridgeport, CT snipes here.) Just not sure he'd get much out of the AHL the way it is shaping up. In a way, it's a '19-'20 Dobson-esque problem. There is nowhere to put him that is going to help him other than with the big club and he's not really ready for that.
I am not down on him. I mentioned in an earlier post that it took Hasek 2 seasons to become the Goalie he became. He's obviously a talent, that Korn and Greco will have to mold to the NHL game. I already noticed players going high on him. He is going to have to be aware of this. The butterfly is great for covering pucks low, but it is susceptible to the upper part of the net. I am going to give him half the pt earned in the Philly game. He made a save that we have seen on his KHL highlights. Side by side pad save to get the game to OT. Let's be patient here, they do require more time. If he does not have a big year, the bright side is he will probably sign a moderate bridge contract after this season.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am not down on him. I mentioned in an earlier post that it took Hasek 2 seasons to become the Goalie he became. He's obviously a talent, that Korn and Greco will have to mold to the NHL game. I already noticed players going high on him. He is going to have to be aware of this. The butterfly is great for covering pucks low, but it is susceptible to the upper part of the net. I am going to give him half the pt earned in the Philly game. He made a save that we have seen on his KHL highlights. Side by side pad save to get the game to OT. Let's be patient here, they do require more time. If he does not have a big year, the bright side is he will probably sign a moderate bridge contract after this season.
I'm not down on him either. Not at all. Unlike many, I didn't think he was just going to come over here and dominate the way he had in the KHL. If he's going to get there, it's going to take time. Unfortunately, given current circumstances sending him down to Bport seems kind of useless and that's where, IMO, he would need to be for a while if the hockey world, and world in general, were operating normally.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm not down on him either. Not at all. Unlike many, I didn't think he was just going to come over here and dominate the way he had in the KHL. If he's going to get there, it's going to take time. Unfortunately, given current circumstances sending him down to Bport seems kind of useless and that's where, IMO, he would need to be for a while if the hockey world were operating normally.
Only way he gets better is to play Ilya, I would play Varly 55% of the remaining games, and play Sorokin 45% of the time. Just the same as if Griess was in the net. Only way to get better is more exp. Long range picture here.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Only way he gets better is to play Ilya, I would play Varly 55% of the remaining games, and play Sorokin 45% of the time. Just the same as if Griess was in the net. Only way to get better is more exp. Long range picture here.
Except Greiss was a proven 1A goalie. Sorokin, is well, a work in progress or shall I say Eric Fichaud-like while the team is trying to compete.

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except Greiss was a proven 1A goalie. Sorokin, is well, a work in progress or shall I say Eric Fichaud-like while the team is trying to compete.
Isles have been waiting patiently for Sorokin, Greiss was fine in his tenure with the Isles. He never complained and accepted his role. A true professional last year given he knew the writing was on the wall. Sorokin may become every bit as good as Greiss, infact his ceiling is higher. There are no guarantees in hockey, but he does have the pedigree to take the puck and run with it.

Reactions: buud

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Isles have been waiting patiently for Sorokin, Greiss was fine in his tenure with the Isles. He never complained and accepted his role. A true professional last year given he knew the writing was on the wall. Sorokin may become every bit as good as Greiss, infact his ceiling is higher. There are no guarantees in hockey, but he does have the pedigree to take the puck and run with it.
They have been waiting patiently but he’s been in a completely different league and needs time to acclimate to the NA style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad