Value of: Ilya Sorokin

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
That would actually explain it; though I thought his rights expired shortly after his KHL deal, in which case would he still have to sign an ELC when he came over? Or would he be able to sign whatever contract he wants on top of signing with whichever team he wants?
No isles still hold his rights. It's just that he only has to Sign a 1 year ELC and he can play in the NHL with performance bonuses. If he got sent down he'd only get 75k.
In this case it IS all about the money. The isles see It as a better development league for him too, Since the level of play is better. The Isles Hold his rights Till hes 27.

Other teams just want to poach him but he comes to camp in may every year so Garth Snow is all over this.

Reactions: IODCPiper

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Why wouldn't they move him? After trying to get him to come over he responded by signing a KHL contract that expires the same year that the Islanders' rights to him expire. That says a lot about his intentions to come over for the islanders. Throw in that the Islanders have other interesting goalie prospects, and why wouldn't they get something for him before he can sign as a UFA wherever he wants?
NHL Goaltenders have little value as is then reading your post this guy has next to no value.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No isles still hold his rights. It's just that he only has to Sign a 1 year ELC and he can play in the NHL with performance bonuses. If he got sent down he'd only get 75k.
In this case it IS all about the money. The isles see It as a better development league for him too, Since the level of play is better. The Isles Hold his rights Till hes 27.

Other teams just want to poach him but he comes to camp in may every year so Garth Snow is all over this.
That would finally explain the 3 year extension. Though I swear that I remember reading in the russian press that Ilya would get to pick his NHL destination after this contract :-/

In either case hopefully Soderstrom establishes himself with the Isles first, so we can convince ya to part ways with Sorokin down the line lol
NHL Goaltenders have little value as is then reading your post this guy has next to no value.

It seems I may have been mistaken in that and the Isles could have his rights for another couple of years past this contract.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
That would finally explain the 3 year extension. Though I swear that I remember reading in the russian press that Ilya would get to pick his NHL destination after this contract :-/

In either case hopefully Soderstrom establishes himself with the Isles first, so we can convince ya to part ways with Sorokin down the line lol

It seems I may have been mistaken in that and the Isles could have his rights for another couple of years past this contract.
After listening to Garth talk about him on the radio, I think you better sign Scarlett Johanssen first of you want to get Garth to trade him

Reactions: cgf

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Why wouldn't they move him? After trying to get him to come over he responded by signing a KHL contract that expires the same year that the Islanders' rights to him expire. That says a lot about his intentions to come over for the islanders. Throw in that the Islanders have other interesting goalie prospects, and why wouldn't they get something for him before he can sign as a UFA wherever he wants?

Wasn't that more of a $$$ thing, him re-signing?

Former KHL Goalie of the Year winner, whose currently playing lights out for one of the top teams in the league. I'm betting he's making more coin than whatever kind of ELC contract he'll get.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After listening to Garth talk about him on the radio, I think you better sign Scarlett Johanssen first of you want to get Garth to trade him
lol touché.

Admittedly a big part of my lust for Sorokin comes from his relationship with Varly and wanting to see the russian contingent on this team continue grow as we try to woo Shvyryov over as well.
Wasn't that more of a $$$ thing, him re-signing?

Former KHL Goalie of the Year winner, whose currently playing lights out for one of the top teams in the league. I'm betting he's making more coin than whatever kind of ELC contract he'll get.
That would explain him staying in russia for now, but it still wouldn't explain why he signed in russia for 3 years. Although the explanation posted on this page about him being able to sign a 1 year ELC after this contract instead of a multi-year ELC, while NYI apparently retains his rights for longer than I thought, does.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
lol touché.

Admittedly a big part of my lust for Sorokin comes from his relationship with Varly and wanting to see the russian contingent on this team continue grow as we try to woo Shvyryov over as well.
That's the word my friend Lust. There seems to be a lot of that going around, ilja for money, Garth for Ilja, and everyone else for Scarlett...

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Much like what ends up happening in Eastside Hockey Manager, Sorokin ends up becoming a Franchise goalie.

I’ve often tried to research or look into the idea of him coming over but there is no evidence showing that he’ll buy out his contract or even cross the pond to play.

Does he make the islanders better immediately? Of course he does. But if I were the Isles GM I would hold onto his rights until he publicly stated he doesn’t want to come to New York.

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
Somebody in this thread said that Sorokin stated that he wanted to play in the NHL at 25. Obviously a lot can happen until then, but wouldn't this suggest that he's very likely to come to the NHL at some point in his career? It just seems from reading this thread, that people are pretty uncertain that he ever comes to the NHL. I imagine he's almost a lock to come over at some point and play in the NHL - regardless of if it's with the Isles or not. I suppose this is a little off-topic but I'm basically wondering the likelihood of him coming over and playing in the NHL at all. I'm guessing at the least he will make an attempt.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Much like what ends up happening in Eastside Hockey Manager, Sorokin ends up becoming a Franchise goalie.

I’ve often tried to research or look into the idea of him coming over but there is no evidence showing that he’ll buy out his contract or even cross the pond to play.

Does he make the islanders better immediately? Of course he does. But if I were the Isles GM I would hold onto his rights until he publicly stated he doesn’t want to come to New York.
Sure there is. Why come to the may mini camp if he has no interest being an islander? He can't come to training camp because the KHL season has started by then but he does come to the early camp. To me that does show interest.

I mean why travel thousands of miles to come to a camp where rookies come to train and meet coaches and scrimmage, If you have no desire to play for a team? To me thats his way of saying Hey I'll be here soon enough

How can anyone blame him for playing at home, for 1.2 million Dollars When the alternative is playing in Bridgeport Connecticut for 75 thousand?. This whole scenario is solely a creation of fans who want the isles to trade him. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
lol touché.

That would explain him staying in russia for now, but it still wouldn't explain why he signed in russia for 3 years. Although the explanation posted on this page about him being able to sign a 1 year ELC after this contract instead of a multi-year ELC, while NYI apparently retains his rights for longer than I thought, does.

Maybe 3 yrs was a compromise. Or maybe when the contract was presented to him with the lure of an Olympic roster spot, he was thrilled enough to get the roster spot that 3 yrs did not seem excessively long.

Either way, 2 more seasons after this one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe 3 yrs was a compromise. Or maybe when the contract was presented to him with the lure of an Olympic roster spot, he was thrilled enough to get the roster spot that 3 yrs did not seem excessively long.

Either way, 2 more seasons after this one.

That doesn't make any sense but it's fine, there's an explanation that does so need to continue digging.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Sure there is. Why come to the may mini camp if he has no interest being an islander? He can't come to training camp because the KHL season has started by then but he does come to the early camp. To me that does show interest.

I mean why travel thousands of miles to come to a camp where rookies come to train and meet coaches and scrimmage, If you have no desire to play for a team? To me thats his way of saying Hey I'll be here soon enough

How can anyone blame him for playing at home, for 1.2 million Dollars When the alternative is playing in Bridgeport Connecticut for 75 thousand?. This whole scenario is solely a creation of fans who want the isles to trade him. Nothing more, nothing less.

I like Sorokin. I’ve always kept tabs on him, and he’s getting better and better.

I’m sure he’ll come along and tear it up here. It just takes time

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So you're saying the Islanders are planning on rolling with Halak and Greiss or the next two years? 2 years is still a long way off, a lot of things can change. I find it hard to believe that the Isles aren't looking for an upgrade in net. They have contingency plans on Soderstrom and Sorokin so they won't overpay for a goalie, but I don't think they want to gamble their chance at a cup by putting all their hopes into a prospect.

They are looking. Rumors are they are looking at Robin Lehner. Halak's been great as of late, i'm sure they are looking for a 1b or solid backup. That being said, I still don't see the rush to trade a bluechip prospect who has shown a desire to play in NA. Signing goalies is never difficult....get good ones may be. They'll always be a stop gap though.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Hold his rights Till hes 27.
I'm thought that the "27 years old" rule was that a player is officially too old to be an RFA once it's the July 1st where they are 27 years old.

Basically, you sign him to an ELC before 2 years (N American drafted) or 4 years (Euro drafted) or when they finish college (N American drafted playing college hockey) to keep the rights. This is the part we need clarfication on.

Then, you just keep qualifying the player every time they are RFA to hold their rights. As long as they don't become Group II / III / IV / V / VI UFA, the player will still be Restricted (rights owned) until they are 27 years old on July 1st.

Do you have any info or source showing that the Islanders own his prospect rights until 27 years old?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He'll most likely arrive in his last ELC year or second last. To me, he doesn't mind coming over IF he is guaranteed an NHL role.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I'm thought that the "27 years old" rule was that a player is officially too old to be an RFA once it's the July 1st where they are 27 years old.

Basically, you sign him to an ELC before 2 years (N American drafted) or 4 years (Euro drafted) or when they finish college (N American drafted playing college hockey) to keep the rights. This is the part we need clarfication on.

Then, you just keep qualifying the player every time they are RFA to hold their rights. As long as they don't become Group II / III / IV / V / VI UFA, the player will still be Restricted (rights owned) until they are 27 years old on July 1st.

Do you have any info or source showing that the Islanders own his prospect rights until 27 years old?
this has nothing to do with the draft lance this has to do with the lack of a transfer agreement

"There is no transfer agreement with the KHL, so the Islanders retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin until 30 June 2023. That would be the first time he is eligible for UFA. "

if there was a transfer agreement then yes it would be four year for a euro, or the summer of 2018, Since there is no transfer agreement in place between NHL and KHL, the Islanders basically retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin indefinately. The UFA age does not apply here. Sorokin is classified as a 'defected player' and thus CBA article 10.2 (b) and League By-Law Section 15 are the applicable rules here. Those are complicated rules but essentially it comes down to Islanders owning the rights to Sorokin indefinately. Commissioner Bettman would need to rule him as a free agent if certain conditions are met and for Islanders to lose his rights at any point. Lets just say that's highly unlikely to happen, therefore Islanders retain his rights

this applies to all drafted players from a European league with no transfer agreement (Russia, Switzerland...) with the NHL. Once those players sign their ELC's (/first NHL-contracts), then they fall into RFA/UFA-system in regards to how long teams hold their rights, but prior to that teams hold their rights basically indefinitely.

Corey pronman tweeted the details in a series of tweets a while ago.

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
this has nothing to do with the draft lance this has to do with the lack of a transfer agreement

"There is no transfer agreement with the KHL, so the Islanders retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin until 30 June 2023. That would be the first time he is eligible for UFA. "

if there was a transfer agreement then yes it would be four year for a euro, or the summer of 2018, Since there is no transfer agreement in place between NHL and KHL, the Islanders basically retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin indefinately. The UFA age does not apply here. Sorokin is classified as a 'defected player' and thus CBA article 10.2 (b) and League By-Law Section 15 are the applicable rules here. Those are complicated rules but essentially it comes down to Islanders owning the rights to Sorokin indefinately. Commissioner Bettman would need to rule him as a free agent if certain conditions are met and for Islanders to lose his rights at any point. Lets just say that's highly unlikely to happen, therefore Islanders retain his rights

this applies to all drafted players from a European league with no transfer agreement (Russia, Switzerland...) with the NHL. Once those players sign their ELC's (/first NHL-contracts), then they fall into RFA/UFA-system in regards to how long teams hold their rights, but prior to that teams hold their rights basically indefinitely.

Corey pronman tweeted the details in a series of tweets a while ago.
Awesome, thanks!

Just to be clear... this situation applies to him because he was DRAFTED FROM a league with no transfer agreement correct? And it's not because he's PLAYING IN a league with no transfer agreement.

So if was playing in Swedish Elite League, then drafted, then moved to KHL the next year, the Islanders would have lost his rights by now already.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Awesome, thanks!

Just to be clear... this situation applies to him because he was DRAFTED FROM a league with no transfer agreement correct? And it's not because he's PLAYING IN a league with no transfer agreement.

So if was playing in Swedish Elite League, then drafted, then moved to KHL the next year, the Islanders would have lost his rights by now already.
According to pronman it refers to any league without a transfer agrrement

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It would be bad business for a team to offer more than a 2nd based on the following items;

1. Goalies in general do not hold a ton of value, prospects even less so.
2. He's never played in NA and won't for the foreseeable future.
3. Teams rarely overpay with assets today for a prospect who MAY help them in the future. The GM would have to be pretty comfortable in his job for that to happen.

The islanders should keep him because he looks great in his KHL career or if they move him, it will likely be as part of a package.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It would be bad business for a team to offer more than a 2nd based on the following items;

1. Goalies in general do not hold a ton of value, prospects even less so.
2. He's never played in NA and won't for the foreseeable future.
3. Teams rarely overpay with assets today for a prospect who MAY help them in the future. The GM would have to be pretty comfortable in his job for that to happen.

The islanders should keep him because he looks great in his KHL career or if they move him, it will likely be as part of a package.

Those are factors that'll keep some buyers away. But they don't entirely negate his talent. Just like Varly's groin didn't negate his talent when we sent Washington our 1st for him. If the Islanders were open to selling him, then they'd just wait until a team was sold on his talent enough to move forward despite those factors...or he was included in a package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad