Value of: Ilya Sorokin

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
There is that transition of learning the angles.of a narrower rink for a goalie.

Could see an agreement where the isles say year 1 of ELC is in the AHL and in year 2 if he is not in the NHL he can return to the khl.

The money is apparently a factor. He's getting paid like a starting goaltender in the KHL, and knows what a massive paycut it would take to spend even one year in the AHL after signing his CBA-mandated ELC.

If he can establish himself as a #1 starter in the NHL there'd be an obvious bump in salary from what he's making, but now he gets to play in his home country, make real good money for a 22-year-old, and be the starter for Russia at the Olympics. Snow needs to put an NHL job on the table to get him over IMO.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jeez, it wasn't straight up. It was Hamonic, Barzal, Sorokin, 1st. Arthur Staple tweeted it.
So why did you simply say they wouldn't trade Sorokin for Duchene? He's one of the least valuable pieces of that proposal. Sorokin isn't the deal breaker of that ridiculous overpayment.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
So why did you simply say they wouldn't trade Sorokin for Duchene? He's one of the least valuable pieces of that proposal. Sorokin isn't the deal breaker of that ridiculous overpayment.

He's an extremely valuable piece if you believe he'll come to North America. I'm sure he was part of the reason Snow wouldn't move him. He's not a throw-in.

But you're right, I didn't phrase it properly.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He was drafted in 2014... as a prospect drafted playing Euro hockey, does that not make him a UFA in 2018 unless he signs his ELC?

Is he not basically a "rental prospect" that you either sign or lose?

I thought under the current CBA you had 2 years to sign CHL prospects, 4 years to sign Euro prospects and "until they finish college" to sign college prospects.

If he's signed until 2021 in the KHL, how will the Islanders (or any team that trades for him) keep his rights?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He was drafted in 2014... as a prospect drafted playing Euro hockey, does that not make him a UFA in 2018 unless he signs his ELC?

Is he not basically a "rental prospect" that you either sign or lose?

I thought under the current CBA you had 2 years to sign CHL prospects, 4 years to sign Euro prospects and "until they finish college" to sign college prospects.

If he's signed until 2021 in the KHL, how will the Islanders (or any team that trades for him) keep his rights?
I believe you are right, which is why the asking price is absurd. He's basically worth less than Avs paid for Soderberg, given he has no track record.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I believe you are right, which is why the asking price is absurd. He's basically worth less than Avs paid for Soderberg, given he has no track record.

I don't remember the exact reasoning but I'm almost certain that Sorokin's rights expire in 2021, a few months after his current KHL contract expires.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I don't remember the exact reasoning but I'm almost certain that Sorokin's rights expire in 2021, a few months after his current KHL contract expires.
Upon further investigation, there seems to be more to it.

Gusev was drafted in 2012 but his rights were traded from Tampa to Vegas in June 2017 (end of 5th year). As far as I can tell, Vegas still owns him (in his sixth year since being drafted).

I'm now assuming Sorokin falls under a similar situation.

I just don't know what stipulation in the rules it is that makes this possible. Maybe somebody knows and can provide context?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No Sorokin was not the least valuable piece.

Isles offered Hamonic+1st,then when Sakic said no,the isles went as high as Hamonic +1st +MDC.

Barzal and Sorokin were never offered, never available.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Not sure what his value is as he is a young goalie dominating in the KHL. He is one of the top goalie prospects but you never know with goalies. If I'm the islanders I hold on to Sorokin and hope he's the real deal when he comes over to the States.

Reactions: SI90

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not sure what his value is as he is a young goalie dominating in the KHL. He is one of the top goalie prospects but you never know with goalies. If I'm the islanders I hold on to Sorokin and hope he's the real deal when he comes over to the States.

That assumes he wants to come over and play for the Islanders. I appreciate the point that he may have been hesitent about committing to the Isles until he saw how the stadium & tavares situations played out. But he could've done that by signing a two year extension, which would've left the Islanders with one more year of his rights before he could just go straight to UFA...if I understand/remember the situation correctly. Instead he signed a three year deal that took him just a couple months shy of that point where his rights expire and he can pick his NHL destination.

I may be reading too much into it, and I do try to brace myself pre-emptively when it comes to exciting russian talents not being in a hurry to come to NA; at least after I had to start watching the KHL to get to enjoy Rads; but that contract seems to say a lot about Sorokin's NHL plans.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That assumes he wants to come over and play for the Islanders. I appreciate the point that he may have been hesitent about committing to the Isles until he saw how the stadium & tavares situations played out. But he could've done that by signing a two year extension, which would've left the Islanders with one more year of his rights before he could just go straight to UFA...if I understand/remember the situation correctly. Instead he signed a three year deal that took him just a couple months shy of that point where his rights expire and he can pick his NHL destination.

I may be reading too much into it, and I do try to brace myself pre-emptively when it comes to exciting russian talents not being in a hurry to come to NA; at least after I had to start watching the KHL to get to enjoy Rads; but that contract seems to say a lot about Sorokin's NHL plans.
Sorokin wanted today on the Russian Olympic team.
That was the big lure to get him signed.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That doesn't explain why he signed in russia for three years instead of just 1 or 2.

Press reports say his Russian rep signed him to the contract he was not even aware of, when he was in the US on a fishing trip.

Obviously, Sorokin later signed off on the new contract too. I have already pointed out the role an Olympic roster spot played. Maybe 3 yrs was a compromise.

Isles were patient with Petrov,Pulock and MDC (and none of them were potential franchise players). They can be patient with 22 yr old Sorokin, who in an interview posted on this page, talked about wanting to play in the nhl at 25.

Reactions: SI90

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Why wouldn't they move him? After trying to get him to come over he responded by signing a KHL contract that expires the same year that the Islanders' rights to him expire. That says a lot about his intentions to come over for the islanders. Throw in that the Islanders have other interesting goalie prospects, and why wouldn't they get something for him before he can sign as a UFA wherever he wants?

because he routinely comes to training camps, he just can make more money in the KHL right now 1.2million than he can in the AHL 75k, Garth Snow knows all about his feelings and has no desire to trade him. in the next 2 seasons both Halak and Greiss will be gone, and Sorokin has exactly 2 seasons on his KHL deal.

coincidence? I think not. I think hes just a smart kid, developing in the world second best league, and getting good money to do it.. I think the kid is just doing what id do in the same situation after all 1.2 million is greater than 75k

in 2 years fresh off a starring role in the olympics Isles who own his rights with no goalie under contract sign him to a 1 year ELC to start in the NHL and signed a big deal the year after, seems like a very bright kid to me

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
because he routinely comes to training camps, he just can make more money in the KHL right now 1.2million than he can in the AHL 75k, Garth Snow knows all about his feelings and has no desire to trade him. in the next 2 seasons both Halak and Greiss will be gone, and Sorokin has exactly 2 seasons on his KHL deal.

coincidence? I think not. I think hes just a smart kid, developing in the world second best league, and getting good money to do it.. I think the kid is just doing what id do in the same situation after all 1.2 million is greater than 75k

in 2 years fresh off a starring role in the olympics Isles who own his rights with no goalie under contract sign him to a 1 year ELC to start in the NHL and signed a big deal the year after, seems like a very bright kid to me

So you're saying the Islanders are planning on rolling with Halak and Greiss or the next two years? 2 years is still a long way off, a lot of things can change. I find it hard to believe that the Isles aren't looking for an upgrade in net. They have contingency plans on Soderstrom and Sorokin so they won't overpay for a goalie, but I don't think they want to gamble their chance at a cup by putting all their hopes into a prospect.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
So you're saying the Islanders are planning on rolling with Halak and Greiss or the next two years? 2 years is still a long way off, a lot of things can change. I find it hard to believe that the Isles aren't looking for an upgrade in net. They have contingency plans on Soderstrom and Sorokin so they won't overpay for a goalie, but I don't think they want to gamble their chance at a cup by putting all their hopes into a prospect.

no greiss is signed as is Soderstrom. I fully expect Soderstrom to get some time next year as well, maybe we get a one year stopgap too, I just think Garth has his sights set on Sorokin and doesnt want to block him from coming over.

listening to him on WFAN, he sure sounded like he knows how good this kid is and cant wait till he's starring for the Islanders. Ive never heard him gush like that over anyone, not even Tavares. Garth is very shall we say point blank in his way of speaking, brusk and pulls no punches. but when he talked about Sorokin it was like he was in love.

not typical Garth by any stretch

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Sorkin has little trade value, and a lot of potential.

It makes zero sense trading him.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
That doesn't explain why he signed in russia for three years instead of just 1 or 2.
I believe it's because if he comes over as a 24 year old, he's only subject to a 1 year ELC instead of 3 (or 2 as a 22/23 year old). It's all about the Rubles.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I believe it's because if he comes over as a 24 year old, he's only subject to a 1 year ELC instead of 3 (or 2 as a 22/23 year old). It's all about the Rubles.

That would actually explain it; though I thought his rights expired shortly after his KHL deal, in which case would he still have to sign an ELC when he came over? Or would he be able to sign whatever contract he wants on top of signing with whichever team he wants?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad