Value of: Ilya Sorokin

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lots of goaltender threads around here where his name has been mentioned, but I want to devote one specifically to him. A top goaltender prospect who doesn't look to be coming over from Russia in the near future. Makes sense for the Islanders to simply hold onto him. If however they were open to trading him, what would they be looking for? If the Isles are in a playoff spot as we approach the deadline could he be a trade chip to improve the team for this season?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I doubt they move him.

They have too many holes to move a top prospect and likely are not playoff bound anyway.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles show zero interest in moving Sorokin.
According to Freidman they are shopping Nelson. With their glut of blueline prospects and extra 2018 picks, they do not need to put their blue chip goalie prospect on the trade table.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honestly, I don't see a good reason for the Isles to even consider moving his rights right now. A Russian goaltender with little interest in coming over in the near future is just too risky to offer full value for and I don't see a reason for the Islanders to sell him off unless he's made it clear he won't sign there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Honestly, I don't see a good reason for the Isles to even consider moving his rights right now. A Russian goaltender with little interest in coming over in the near-future is just too risky to offer full value for and I don't see a reason for the Islanders to sell him off unless he's made it clear he won't sign there.
That certainly makes sense. I guess my reasoning for making this thread was more about the Isles using him as a trade chip to improve right now with the whole Tavares fiasco.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
like the other thread about the #4 goalie in the LAK system. How can you put a value on a goalie in the KHL who has never set foot in NA? Also--he is signed through the 2020/2021 season in the KHL--

So he will have more value to the NYI than any sane nhl team would be willing to give up for him

Reactions: Brock Radunske

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I doubt they move him.

They have too many holes to move a top prospect and likely are not playoff bound anyway.

Why wouldn't they move him? After trying to get him to come over he responded by signing a KHL contract that expires the same year that the Islanders' rights to him expire. That says a lot about his intentions to come over for the islanders. Throw in that the Islanders have other interesting goalie prospects, and why wouldn't they get something for him before he can sign as a UFA wherever he wants?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why wouldn't they move him? After trying to get him to come over he responded by signing a KHL contract that expires around the same time the Islanders' rights to him expire. That says a lot about his intentions to come over for the islanders. Throw in that the Islanders have other interesting goalie prospects, and why wouldn't they get something for him before he can sign as a UFA wherever he wants?

If you see his upside as good enough to warrant taking a chance that he'll come over when he's 25/26 I'd say it's fairly easy to value him over a late 2nd round pick or whatever you could get for him right now. Once shovels are in the ground for a new arena the Islanders will be an infinitely more enticing option than they were just a few weeks ago. If I were a Russian prospect whose rights were owned by a franchise with a questionable future, I'd be significantly more likely to stick close to home until that situation played itself out. Now that the Islanders future seems significantly more secure I'd have to imagine he'd be more interested in coming over at some point...mind you I'm not an Islanders fan so I can't say I've followed the situation closely.

That certainly makes sense. I guess my reasoning for making this thread was more about the Isles using him as a trade chip to improve right now with the whole Tavares fiasco.

Fair enough, but I still wouldn't consider it just because I think his potential dwarfs his trade value at this point in time. As a Penguins fan I don't see Filip Gustavsson as a realistic trade asset at this point in time simply because he hasn't played in North America yet, even if a goalie prospect would be the easiest thing in the world for the Penguins to trade at this point in time.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you see his upside as good enough to warrant taking a chance that he'll come over when he's 25/26 I'd say it's fairly easy to value him over a late 2nd round pick or whatever you could get for him right now. Once shovels are in the ground for a new arena the Islanders will be an infinitely more enticing option than they were just a few weeks ago. If I were a Russian prospect whose rights were owned by a franchise with a questionable future, I'd be significantly more likely to stick close to home until that situation played itself out. Now that the Islanders future seems significantly more secure I'd have to imagine he'd be more interested in coming over at some point...mind you I'm not an Islanders fan so I can't say I've followed the situation closely.

Fair point. With the Tavares situation unfolding during the course of this contract as well, that does make some sense. Guess we'll find out if those were Sorokin's reservations or if he just didn't want to play for the Islanders.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't think he even has value in the traditional sense.

There is just way too much of a gap between his potential value to the Isles organisation and what he could fetch in a trade right now. Thats basically the situation for most top end goalie prospects but with Sorokin having signed that longterm deal, it only makes the difference even that much bigger.

Only way I see him getting traded is as a sweetener type of asset or secondary piece in a blockbuster deal that the Isles really want to pull off. Otherwise it is not going to happen..

Maybe in an OEL type of deal if Snow is really willing to swing for the fences right now...

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Think if was in package deal could land Isles a possible decent player. Something like Howard.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Think if was in package deal could land Isles a possible decent goalie. Maybe something like Greiss, Sorokin, and pick for Howard (salary retained).

Kento (the OP) has actually proposed something similar, only for Varlamov instead of Howard.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Think if was in package deal could land Isles a possible decent goalie. Maybe something like Greiss, Sorokin, and pick for Howard (salary retained).
I don't think any team retains on a player if they're taking on Greiss' contact at the same time.

As an Avalanche fan I would trade Varlamov (50% retained) + Andrighetto for Sorokin + Halak + 2nd. I have proposed that a few times around here and I feel it's fair. However Varlamov is hurt for the next few weeks it appears.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Kento (the OP) has actually proposed something similar, only for Varlamov instead of Howard.
Yeah, the problem is Varlamov is injured(2 weeks or so). Maybe deal could happen closer to trade deadline. Think that is fair and Isles need a goalie badly. Halak been ok but Griess took a turn backwards this season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Why wouldn't they move him? After trying to get him to come over he responded by signing a KHL contract that expires the same year that the Islanders' rights to him expire. That says a lot about his intentions to come over for the islanders. Throw in that the Islanders have other interesting goalie prospects, and why wouldn't they get something for him before he can sign as a UFA wherever he wants?

Sorokin was in Colorado on a boat fishing with Varlamov when his extension was authorized I believe. Also, there was some "power of agent" involved in that extension, so I'm not sure if Sorokin intentionally signed that deal with his NHL rights in mind. It was likely that he set parameters for a contract he would willing to sign, and his agent (trying to maximize for their own good) negotiated the biggest and longest deal possible.

I think Sorokin would be willing to buy out the remainder of his contract to come play for the Islanders, however not in the AHL. With Halak and Greiss under contract for this season, Sorokin was not coming over this season regardless.

Also, the Islanders only really have one other goalie prospect by the name of Linus Soderstrom. He signed with NYI this past season, and was loaned out to his SHL team, but also recently had surgery. In addition, he has Aspergers and ADHD so there are a few question marks there while Sorokin has been excelling in the KHL and could be on the Olympic team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You ignore that the isles have other trade chips they could use.
There has been zero indication that the isles want to move Sorokin. In a thread on this board,someone posted a link to his comments about wanting to come over to the nhl when he is 25. So the interest in playing in the nhl is there.

it was mentioned in the press ,that Sorokins extension was because of his wish to be on the Russian Olympic team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't think any team retains on a player if they're taking on Greiss' contact at the same time.

As an Avalanche fan I would trade Varlamov (50% retained) + Andrighetto for Sorokin + Halak + 2nd. I have proposed that a few times around here and I feel it's fair. However Varlamov is hurt for the next few weeks it appears.
No thanks.
Not interested in moving Sorokin.Friedman reported just days ago in a podcast, that the isles are scouting Lehner.
He would be a stopgap until Sorokin comes over.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think Sorokin would be willing to buy out the remainder of his contract to come play for the Islanders, however not in the AHL. With Halak and Greiss under contract for this season, Sorokin was not coming over this season regardless.

Agreed. Snow has to bite the bullet and figure out if it's worthwhile to offer a goalie with 0 NHL experience a stable NHL gig because that seems like the only way to come over from Russia. He'd rather be a superstar in the KHL than a prospect in Bridgeport.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You ignore that the isles have other trade chips they could use.
There has been zero indication that the isles want to move Sorokin. In a thread on this board,someone posted a link to his comments about wanting to come over to the nhl when he is 25. So the interest in playing in the nhl is there.

it was mentioned in the press ,that Sorokins extension was because of his wish to be on the Russian Olympic team.
I didn't ignore that the Islanders have other trade chips. I was simply curious if Sorokin could be one of them. Sorry if I offended you.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I didn't ignore that the Islander have other trade chips. I was simply curious if Sorokin could be one of them. Sorry if I offended you.
You have not offended me.
You simply ignore what the press says the nyi are actually doing ( scouting Lehner) and you ignore that with too many blueline prospects to keep+ extra picks, the isles would not have to move a blue chip goalie prospect.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. Snow has to bite the bullet and figure out if it's worthwhile to offer a goalie with 0 NHL experience a stable NHL gig because that seems like the only way to come over from Russia. He'd rather be a superstar in the KHL than a prospect in Bridgeport.
There is that transition of learning the angles.of a narrower rink for a goalie.

Could see an agreement where the isles say year 1 of ELC is in the AHL and in year 2 if he is not in the NHL he can return to the khl.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sorokin is the isles best shot as of right now at a franchise goaltender. He’s signed in the KHL for another couple of years and it’s not a guarantee that he’s coming over so his trade value I don’t think would be too high.

Better to just hang onto him with the chance that he comes over eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad