Dreger: Ilya Sorokin To Chicago? (UPDATE: No trade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Based on the past few decades, Lou seems to think the goaltender position is somewhat important in the game of hockey. My guess is that Sorokin doesn't get moved and signs with the Isles.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
lou also hates giving out a + b bonuses
I believe Sorokin is only subject to an ELC for 1 year, so I question whether that's going to be a deal-breaker. And is it possible for him to sign the ELC after his KHL season ends but before July 1st, thereby burning the only ELC year? Anyway, it's not like we're talking about a multi-year ELC.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Let's put to bed about this & all the speculations going around with this thread.

The only fact here is that Sorokin is a proven star in KHL & based on his skills, age & accomplishments over there, he likely should not need that much AHL seasoning as he can always start early & practice in NHL size arenas before training camp start. Yes the 1st 10 games may rough but he will adapt & has success quickly.

Now if he wants to negotiate a real good contract with any team in NHL including the Isles, I think he has earned that as the more wealthy KHL team will gladly offer him plenty to stay there so he and his agent definitely has leverage.

As an Isles fan, I hope he and Lou will work it out and if not, Lou should insist on getting good assets back for him. Lou need a young superstar to sell out seats in Belmont in two years & I believe Sorokin will be that guy if willing.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The third scenario is that it could be someone in the KHL, with his KHL team or someone who profits more from Sorokin staying in the KHL, who is trying to poison the well.

In that case why would you move him at all then? Even better who would give anything up? I guess maybe some team says alright we will give you a 4th or 5th rounder if you just want to rid yourself of the problem but if that’s the deal the Isles might as well hold onto him

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lou gave out by bonuses to Dobson & Wally. Kids who have proven a lot less than Sorokin.

Also, press tweeted last TDL, that when Lou was pushing for Hoffman ,FL insisted on Sorokin.Isles passed.

So, disagree that the isles won't pay bonuses.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Is it not a little odd that something of this magnitude gets leaked and then covered up so quickly?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is it not a little odd that something of this magnitude gets leaked and then covered up so quickly?
It wasn't leaked. Some nobody in Russia reported "inside info" which was probably as good as Eklund's inside info. Dreger wanted to be cool so he was first to report it in NA even though in reality probably nothing was happening.

There was no NHL leak from the NA/NHL at all. You could say if anything was actually happening that would be THE odd thing - the fact that some guy in Russia manages to report it way faster than the dozens of "insiders" on the NHL side.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hard to surmise exactly what happened here, but I think Chicago had interest in Sorokin, Lou listened, as any GM should. For Lou to trade Sorokin's rights given that a good source in Erenko said he is coming over 99% would have been very high. Any player can be traded given 99 was once. But Lou probably said to Bowman if you want his rights, you have to make me a deal I can't say no to. Price is probably too high. Let's just use an example, if Lou said give me Kane, who is going to say yes? Bowman said no, and the phones dried up. The error here is Dreger jumped the gun, he has broken trades before. But this one he made a mistake. Being first is not always being the best, being correct is. But there may be some smoke here, but as I said, Sorokin would be expensive given Lou's valuing of Goalies. And Sorokin is a stud prospect and goalie.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Hard to surmise exactly what happened here, but I think Chicago had interest in Sorokin, Lou listened, as any GM should. For Lou to trade Sorokin's rights given that a good source in Erenko said he is coming over 99% would have been very high. Any player can be traded given 99 was once. But Lou probably said to Bowman if you want his rights, you have to make me a deal I can't say no to. Price is probably too high. Let's just use an example, if Lou said give me Kane, who is going to say yes? Bowman said no, and the phones dried up. The error here is Dreger jumped the gun, he has broken trades before. But this one he made a mistake. Being first is not always being the best, being correct is. But there may be some smoke here, but as I said, Sorokin would be expensive given Lou's valuing of Goalies. And Sorokin is a stud prospect and goalie.
This sounded like a lot closer to an imminent trade being done more than "Lou just listening"

Details of the trade exchange sound like were probably agreed upon but they were waiting for one other shoe to drop first

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This sounded like a lot closer to an imminent trade being done more than "Lou just listening"

Details of the trade exchange sound like were probably agreed upon but they were waiting for one other shoe to drop first
Only way to know if that shoe drops. It would be an intriguing deal. Lou does not deal out goalies often, part of me wants to know at what price would he accept.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

What was the supposed structure or players involved?

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Let's just say it was Kane, he'd have to waive his NMC. I guess that's possible but seems unlikely. And it's probably something you'd figure out earlier than the 11th hour and definitely before info leaks out that could leak names involved in a trade from your side.

But if it were going to be Kane, who you'd have for three more years after this one, then - in theory - you'd be comfortable trying to win a cup with Varly, who's also signed three more years.
In fact, the next 3 years really would be the window for the Isles with a guy like Kane. The rest of the core, outside of Barzy, Tito and some of the dmen, would all be best served by having their best shot before 2023-24 season. Even the young guys like Barzy, etc. would be best served with that window (at least on this team).

For Chicago, it'd mean rejiggering for a run starting in earnest in 2022-23. You'd see players shipped out and young talent brought in. Sorokin projects be a solid top net minder (if not necessarily top 5) for the next 10 years, with upside to be elite. On that 22-23 and forward timeline, this trade works out well for the Hawks, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad