Waived: Ilya Samsonov - Recalled by the Leafs 1/10/24

Mar 26, 2010
The timing is also really weird because the vibes seem to good, and they've got a lot of momentum going into a very tough stretch. If Samsonov kills the room, stinks in the net, his Leaf career will be over, over.
Samsonov has been a poison pill for the team all season. He brings down the morale, just a really negative Vibe. I feel like the team has to walk around on eggshells around him. A real energy vampire.

imo he should not be anywhere near the team in the locker room or on the ice with them. It’s not healthy.

Reactions: arso40

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
For whatever it might be worth, he should clearly be returning as the backup to Jones at this point. Don't know if that might be helpful in alleviating any feelings of pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Never heard of mental health issues being solved in ten days. Hopefully they found some techniques he can start working with, but I don’t know if an NHL goal crease is the place you go to work out mental issues. Not making a joke here.
OTOH, that’s his job, and you just want to get back to work and feel normal again, and be around the team. If he can do the job.

They must have a good reason for bringing him back, but I’m shocked he didn’t start a Marlies game at least, even a period. Did he even practice? Can he stop a shot? What’s the vibe like around him? We don’t need his medical details, just the on-ice product.

Wish him the best, which would also be good for the Leafs. His postgames were hilarious before he got so down, need that guy again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marlies play Friday. Maybe they want to get Hildeby some game action in since it’s been a couple of weeks, and then they’ll recall him start vs Detroitnin Sunday on the second half of the B2B .. Sammy backs up in the meantime.

That’s the most sensible thing to me

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Maybe Hideby hasn’t been great at practice? Isn’t Hildeby playing in the AHL All Star game on the 5th too? Probably should be around the team that got him there and get a few games in so he doesn’t sit rusting on an NHL bench. Sammy cleared waivers so they have some time to move him up and down for a while. Jones has taken the #1 job so Sammy will probably only get back to back situations.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Recalled for what ? Guys been dog shit all year long, Jones better be starting every game that isn't a back to back.

Should've left his ass in the minors. Guys been so bad with a losers attitude, get that shit away from the team. He may end up being the reason why we don't have home ice in the playoffs.

But we have back to backs before Woll is back. I'm sure this is more about letting a young goalie play in the AHL, vs getting Sammy back in an NHL net...I hope.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
This dumb move seems very Keefe.
I think it was more about getting Hildeby some playing time. Samsonov will be the backup, but will be put on waivers again or whatever they can do, and Hildeby will be brought back up and will play in the 2nd game of the b2b against Detroit on Sunday.

But we have back to backs before Woll is back. I'm sure this is more about letting a young goalie play in the AHL, vs getting Sammy back in an NHL net...I hope.
My thoughts exactly!

Reactions: OddyOh

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Never heard of mental health issues being solved in ten days. Hopefully they found some techniques he can start working with, but I don’t know if an NHL goal crease is the place you go to work out mental issues. Not making a joke here.
OTOH, that’s his job, and you just want to get back to work and feel normal again, and be around the team. If he can do the job.

They must have a good reason for bringing him back, but I’m shocked he didn’t start a Marlies game at least, even a period. Did he even practice? Can he stop a shot? What’s the vibe like around him? We don’t need his medical details, just the on-ice product.

Wish him the best, which would also be good for the Leafs. His postgames were hilarious before he got so down, need that guy again.
I believe they didn't play him in the AHL because of what happened to Jack Campbell when Edmonton sent him down. This is about getting Hildeby some practice time and a game, and then he comes back up to play against Detroit in the 2nd game of the b2b on Sunday.

Reactions: OddyOh

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This is just plain disturbing
I think they don't want Samsonov to get lit up by an AHL team and have him lose any confidence that he still has. Jack Cambell was sent to the minors with the Oilers and got killed by AHL teams and has never been back and I think that this is what the Leafs are trying to prevent.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
For whatever it might be worth, he should clearly be returning as the backup to Jones at this point. Don't know if that might be helpful in alleviating any feelings of pressure.
If he does come back to play for the Leafs, it won't be anytime soon. This was to get Hildeby some practice and games so he would be ready to come back up and play against Detroit on Sunday.

Reactions: Buds17 and OddyOh

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Samsonov has been a poison pill for the team all season. He brings down the morale, just a really negative Vibe. I feel like the team has to walk around on eggshells around him. A real energy vampire.

imo he should not be anywhere near the team in the locker room or on the ice with them. It’s not healthy.
This move was all about getting Hildeby some practice and games, and then coming back up to play Detroit on Sunday.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think it was more about getting Hildeby some playing time. Samsonov will be the backup, but will be put on waivers again or whatever they can do, and Hildeby will be brought back up and will play in the 2nd game of the b2b against Detroit on Sunday.

My thoughts exactly!
Sammy can play some AHL games when he’s ready.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Even if he doesn't play, his sulking presence is the last thing I want around this team. If he does play, that would be a fireable offense.

Either way, it was just awful to call our best goalie prospect up and choose not to play him against terrible teams. Now they have to bring Samsonov back into the mix because Hildeby was missing too much playing time

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marlies play Friday. Maybe they want to get Hildeby some game action in since it’s been a couple of weeks, and then they’ll recall him start vs Detroitnin Sunday on the second half of the B2B .. Sammy backs up in the meantime.

That’s the most sensible thing to me
That’s actually what Keefe alluded to yesterday.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

We don't really know what the issue is, it may not have been that serious. If they figured he couldn't handle it, he wouldn't have been brought back up.
There seems to be a lot of speculation, which is fair but sometimes you have to give the professionals close to the situation the benefit of doubt that they know what they are doing.

If he wasn't ready, zero chance he's recalled.

Reactions: bax and OddyOh

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think they don't want Samsonov to get lit up by an AHL team and have him lose any confidence that he still has. Jack Cambell was sent to the minors with the Oilers and got killed by AHL teams and has never been back and I think that this is what the Leafs are trying to prevent.
The fact Campbell got killed by minor leaguers just confirmed it was the right decision

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This move was all about getting Hildeby some practice and games, and then coming back up to play Detroit on Sunday.
Part of it perhaps but they would have brought someone else up to backup (the tall Italian kid) and let Samsonov have more time.

The fact Campbell got killed by minor leaguers just confirmed it was the right decision
Can't imagine the plan was ever to let him play for the Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad