Speculation: Ilya Samsonov non-tendered

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Oilers won that series because McDavid just elevated his game and took over the series completely. I don't think Smith out/Campbell in changes anything, maybe the Kings lose in 6 instead because Smith basically gifted LA a free win in game 1 by being stupid and coming way out of his net for no reason to gift them a 3rd period goal that was the difference.

Disagree. The series went 7 with McDavid 'taking over the series'.

Smith significantly outplayed Campbell. You're acting like Campbell didn't allow any sofites in his series. He allowed at least 1 per game. You don't get a sub-900 save % in the playoffs without allowing bad goals. Tampa went up 2-0 in Game 4, 5, and 6 and all 6 goals were bad. The Point OT goal in Game 6 was bad also.

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You saying they're all headcases on the internet doesn't mean they are.

And Rittich played four games with the Leafs, lol.

Ok. Campbell started the year as a top 3 starter for several months. Finished the year as a bottom 3 starter for several months. Is there some other conclusion than headcase that makes sense here?

Mrazek wildly fluctuates between being unbeatable and being a sieve. I don't think he had much of a good stretch for the Leafs but that was his MO for the other teams he was on. What possible reason could explain that other than it being a mental one?

Murray's career was defined by two fantastic playoff runs as a young tender and then becoming a marginal disappointment since. His time in Ottawa has been injury marred and when he's healthy he's again either terrific or terribad.

Rittich was still a Dubas acquisition, how many games he played is largely irrelevant to connecting him with what Dubas obviously looks for in a goalie.

Headcase in this context doesn't mean problem in the locker room or snapshow on the ice or anything like that. It means a goalie that lacks consistency. Which in my mind is like, the major thing a goalie needs, lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Disagree. The series went 7 with McDavid 'taking over the series'.

Smith significantly outplayed Campbell. You're acting like Campbell didn't allow any sofites in his series. He allowed at least 1 per game. You don't get a sub-900 save % in the playoffs without allowing bad goals. Tampa went up 2-0 in Game 4, 5, and 6 and all 6 goals were bad.

It went 7 because Smith spotted them a freebie win for no reason in the first game.

But it was good in the long run anyway, I think staring down another playoff exit like that ignited something inside of McDavid and awakened a beast inside of him.

Watching that game 6 and 7, he was not going to let the Oilers lose, simple as that, end of story.

Sometimes you just have to say "nope, I don't care, we're not losing this game/series" as a great player.

Also Campbell was playing freaking Tampa, a team much better than the Kings, the Kings missing Doughty and Arvidsson on top of that.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
If a team with a good goalie coach takes Sammy he will awesome in like two years. Sadly the Capitals goalie coach Scott Murray just kind of gets paid for the label of "goalie coach". Scott Murray just ruined two young promising goaltenders development and some how still has a job. I'm starting to think the dude has some dirt on Ted or someone important....how he still has a job is beyond me.

Congratulations to Sammy and VV for getting away from Scott Murray!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It went 7 because Smith spotted them a freebie win for no reason in the first game.

But it was good in the long run anyway, I think staring down another playoff exit like that ignited something inside of McDavid and awakened a beast inside of him.

Watching that game 6 and 7, he was not going to let the Oilers lose, simple as that, end of story.

Sometimes you just have to say "nope, I don't care, we're not losing this game/series" as a great player.

Yeah, but Smith outplayed Campbell significantly in the first round (look at goals saved versus expected) and it still went 7.

What's to say they don't lose in 6 with Campbell, or even 4?

Campbell was the worst goalie in the entire NHL for the majority of the season.
Campbell had to get a therapist because "he was too hard on himself" for allowing sofites every game.
Campbell was the worst starting goalie in the playoffs last season.

I don't blame the Leafs for walking away from him for anything over backup goalie. He isn't a proven starter, red flags all over the place.

He's a good goalie when he's in it mentally, but he seems to panic in pressure situations. 3 goals in 6 shots in OT elimination games (his team had 3X the shots for). 0-5 in elimination games, 3 against Montreal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Name is close enough to Sorokin and Shesterkin that this could work out HUGE.

Franchise goalie oppurtunity.

Caps fans, why’d you let him go?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, but Smith outplayed Campbell significantly in the first round (look at goals saved versus expected) and it still went 7.

What's to say they don't lose in 6 with Campbell, or even 4?

Connor McDavid says they don't lose. He became a man possessed in that series.

Calgary ran into that storm too, Smith was completely shitting the bed early in that series, and McDavid was still in the "nope, we ain't losing this" mode.

Colorado unfortunately, is just too good of a team to be beaten by 1 or 2 players, need to have actual goaltending against them, though even there, 3/4 games were basically 1 goal games that could've flipped the other way. Draisaitl playing on one leg and Nurse with a torn hip flexor basically caught up with them, McDavid can't cover for that much.

Reactions: ManByng

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Connor McDavid says they don't lose. He became a man possessed in that series.

Calgary ran into that storm too, Smith was completely shitting the bed early in that series, and McDavid was still in the "nope, we ain't losing this" mode.

Colorado unfortunately, is just too good of a team to be beaten by 1 or 2 players, need to have actual goaltending against, though even there, 3/4 games were basically 1 goal games that could've flipped the other way.

McDavid can say whatever he wants, if the other team scored 10 goals a game what is he supposed to do?

The Colorado series is proof that one player can't carry a team to win a game, let alone a series.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid can say whatever he wants, if the other team scored 10 goals a game what is he supposed to do?

The Colorado series is proof that one player can't win a game, let alone a series.

I don't think Campbell is letting in 10 versus LA, lol, especially an injury depleted LA team. I don't think Smith/Campbell really make a difference in the end result there. Whatever team Connor McDavid was on was winning that series, simple as that.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Samsonov was once the goalie of the future for Washington. Kinda odd that they gave up on him like this.

That said he was the second worst starter in the league last year behind Grubauer.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't think Campbell is letting in 10 versus LA, lol, especially an injury depleted LA team. I don't think Smith/Campbell really make a difference in the end result there. Whatever team Connor McDavid was on was winning that series, simple as that.

Campbell couldn't beat Montreal in 3 tries with the Leafs. The Leafs outshoot Montreal 13-3 in 2 OT's and lost 2 games. Yes, 2 OT losses with 3 shots against. I don't know how much better a team or player can play than that. Would McDavid limit the opposition to 0 shots a game?

Campbell seems to panic under pressure, compounded by the fact he needed time off for a therapist to calm him down this season because his play resembled an ECHL water boy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Campbell couldn't beat Montreal in 3 tries with the Leafs.

The Leafs outshoot Montreal 13-3 in 2 OT's and lost 2 games. Campbell seems to panic under pressure, compounded by the fact he needed time off for a therapist to calm him down this season because his play resembled an ECHL water boy.

The Leafs had their chances, they need their big gun players to step up in some of those games, later games, particularly like games 5/6/7 it seems like their big ticket players have a habit of vanishing.

Can't ask the goalie to finish out a series on his own shoulders like that, if that's the ask you're asking for a lot IMO. You want like a Hasek/Roy/Brodeur type goalie in that case, but like there's very few guys like that ever available.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The Leafs had their chances, they need their big gun players to step up in some of those games, later games, particularly like games 5/6/7 it seems like their big ticket players have a habit of vanishing.

Can't ask the goalie to finish out a series on his own shoulders like that, if that's the ask you're asking for a lot IMO. You want like a Hasek/Roy/Brodeur type goalie in that case, but like there's very few guys like that ever available.

What? You can't ask a goalie to stop more than 1 out of 3 shots in OT?

Then Campell's definitely your guy.

The biggest problem is that it's been widely accepted that one of the most important abilities of a good goaltender is the ability to shake off bad games/goals. Campbell has openly admitted he struggles with doing that and is 'too hard on himself' which causes him to spiral.

Not a great thing to hear from a goalie who wants to be a starting goaltender.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

You're not going to win a series if your top forwards basically don't show up for game 6/7 continually. You get what you get.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You're not going to win a series if your top forwards basically don't show up for game 6/7 continually. You get what you get.

I don't know what you're talking about. The Leafs top players had more points and goals than Tampa's top players in Game 6 and 7, but Tampa won. It goes against your whole argument.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't know what you're talking about. The Leafs top players had more points and goals than Tampa's top players in Game 6 and 7, but Tampa won. It goes against your whole argument.

Yeah but in that scenario, you're asking for a Vasilevsky tier goalie then.

And good luck getting one of those, and especially getting one of those at a cap hit below 8 million dollars.

Vasilevsky is a generational goalie, there's maybe 1-2 of those guys in the league maybe at any given time, maybe.

If you don't have a Vasilvesky tier goalie, yeah you don't have the luxury of your top players having mediocre close out games. Just how it goes.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

The biggest problem is that it's been widely accepted that one of the most important abilities of a good goaltender is the ability to shake off bad games/goals. Campbell has openly admitted he struggles with doing that and is 'too hard on himself' which causes him to spiral.

Not a great thing to hear from a goalie who wants to be a starting goaltender.
Not sure. Do you have video of the shots? There were only three of them. Were they breakaways? What was the defense doing?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah but in that scenario, you're asking for a Vasilevsky tier goalie then.

And good luck getting one of those, and especially getting one of those at a cap hit below 8 million dollars.

Vasilevsky is a generational goalie, there's maybe 1-2 of those guys in the league maybe at any given time, maybe.

Yeah, but Campbell has never been a successful starter in this league.

He's not worth more than 3M.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, but Campbell has never been a successful starter in this league.

He's not worth more than 3M.

I mean the Avs just signed Georgeiv for 3.4 million dollars who's had save percentages of .898 and .905 the last two years. You have pretty high expectations of what 3 million buys you in this league.

Reactions: teddygmr

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not sure. Do you have video of the shots? There were only three of them. Were they breakaways? What was the defense doing?

Well, considering the shootout save percentage is greater than 50% - I'd say it's bad.

Point's goal he lost the rebound and Moses opened his legs I think:

This was Montreal's second shot of the OT, I think the Leafs had 11 shots this OT. Widely accepted as a bad goal:

This was actually a tough save, 1st shot by Montreal of the OT. He didn't save it though, so he couldn't have done any worse, pretty neutral goal:

I mean the Avs just signed Georgeiv for 3.4 million dollars who's had save percentages of .898 and .905 the last two years. You have pretty high expectations of what 3 million buys you in this league.

He's 4 years younger than Campbell and has played 10 less games.

We're talking about a 30 year old goaltender who has never started in the NHL, unless you count last season but he was the worst goaltender in the NHL for more than half the season so not really a great track record and then the worst in the playoffs.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Who is Samsonov's Agent? Many Russian players are with Dan Milstein who has a great relationship with Kyle Dubas. Regardless, Dubas recently hired new Goalie coach Curtis Sanford after interviewing a dozen candidates and wants to duplicate the successes of developing young talented forwards like Trevor Moore, Ilya Mikheylev, Mason Marchment with Goalies. Leafs have invested in development facilities and staff and seem like a prime candidate to get Samsonov in their system.
Meanwhile, I imagine Dubas is on the phone with Dorian saying something to the effect of ...yes we still ahve interest in Murray but there is another young talented goalie that just came available....perhaps you can sweeten the pot in the deal we were discussing.....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, considering the shootout save percentage is greater than 50% - I'd say it's bad.

Point's goal he lost the rebound and Moses opened his legs I think:

This was Montreal's second shot of the OT, I think the Leafs had 11 shots this OT. Widely accepted as a bad goal:

This was actually a tough save, 1st shot by Montreal of the OT. He didn't save it though, so he couldn't have done any worse, pretty neutral goal:

He's 4 years younger than Campbell and has played 10 less games.

We're talking about a 30 year old goaltender who has never started in the NHL, unless you count last season but he was the worst goaltender in the NHL for more than half the season so not really a great track record.

I'll be honest what is Toronto's D doing on at least the first two goals there, no one is covering Point standing right in front of the net, the Kotkaniemi goal is what the f*** how are you turning the puck over in your own zone like that and just letting another player come straight down the slot for an uncontested shot basically.

I don't think those two are all on Campbell, maybe he could've bailed them out for the Kotkaniemi shot but that's a brutal own zone give away that gets immediately passed

The third one is an terrible turnover by Galchenyuk I think (?) that gives the Habs a on 2-on-0 ... you almost never see a 2-on-0 in an NHL regular season game, let alone a playoff over time.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'll be honest what is Toronto's D doing on at least the first two goals there, no one is covering Point standing right in front of the net, the Kotkaniemi goal is what the f*** how are you turning the puck over in your own zone like that and just letting another player come straight down the slot for an uncontested shot basically.

I don't think those two are all on Campbell.

The third one is an terrible turnover by Galchenyuk I think (?) that gives the Habs a on 2-on-0 ... you almost never see a 2-on-0 in an NHL regular season game, let alone a playoff over time.

The goalies job is to make a save though.

If the defence has to make the save, why do you need a goalie?

Most shots on goals come from mistake according to your logic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad