Speculation: Ilya Samsonov non-tendered

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Here you go Leaf fans… we don’t have to hear anymore low ball offers for good goalies… go sign this dude to a long term contract lol

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Vanicek was much better and hes not even that good.

This guy was supposed to be one of the big 3 with Shesterkin and Sorokin. 1st round pick too.

Reactions: yzerman

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They're both better than Campbell.

Did you miss the part where I said since the all-star break Campbell was the worst goalie in the NHL?

That includes goalies like Murray and Samsonov.

You've obviously not watched the Leafs much, Campbell was garbaage for 70% of the season but the Leafs had a great D in front of him clearing every rebound. Then he took like 2-3 weeks off because he needed a therapist because he's too hard on himself when he allows a bad goal every game and loses focus.

He's not an NHL starting goalie, he can't handle pressure.

Murray has won 2 Stanley Cups, Samsonov is 25 (5 years younger). What exactly makes Campbell better?

I’ve watched enough of the Leafs.
Cambpell had a garbage strech but the guys you are after have been for years.

One is a cap dump and the other isn’t getting a qualifier from his team.
Do you stop to think about what you’re writing?

Leafs in their win now window would rely on either cap dump or a goalie who’s not good enough to get a qualifier.

Great job.
Please do it, signed every eastern teams fan.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I don't like this, I'm afraid it will come back to bite the Caps big time later. I feel like he still has the talent that if he ever gets his head on straight under a good goalie coach can still be good. Even if they didn't think his performance warranted his expected arbitration value, surely he has some value in a trade somewhere.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I’ve watched enough of the Leafs.
Cambpell had a garbage strech but the guys you are after have been for years.

One is a cap dump and the other isn’t getting a qualifier from his team.
Do you stop to think about what you’re writing?

Leafs in their win now window would rely on either cap dump or a goalie who’s not good enough to get a qualifier.

Great job.
Please do it, signed every eastern teams fan.

You're right, Campbell's record in elimination games is great. :laugh:

Edmonton gets eliminated in the 1st round last year with Campbell in net.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I don't like this, I'm afraid it will come back to bite the Caps big time later. I feel like he still has the talent that if he ever gets his head on straight under a good goalie coach can still be good. Even if they didn't think his performance warranted his expected arbitration value, surely he has some value in a trade somewhere.
Seems hasty. Even if Kuemper is done deal and you dont want a $3 million backup, you'd think he'd have trade value.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If Georgiev had value, Samsonov 100% could’ve returned something. This makes me think the Caps and Samsonov come to an agreement on a contract just for less than his QO

Georgiev just returned 2 3rd round picks and a 5th, along with a 10 million dollar contract.

Samsonov is in the same boat as Georgiev, a full year younger, and it’s only his 3rd season in the league. Plus he’s a recent 1st round pick which does mean something, unlike Georgiev who was a UDFA
This!

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Anderson was the COVID goalie for the Caps for a spell. If he's got good things to say about Ilya.......Buffalo should be all over this.

Run a Samsonov/Anderson tandem with UPL the #1 in Buffalo who will/should see 20 starts in Buffalo regardless.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Georgiev had value, Samsonov 100% could’ve returned something. This makes me think the Caps and Samsonov come to an agreement on a contract just for less than his QO

Georgiev just returned 2 3rd round picks and a 5th, along with a 10 million dollar contract.

Samsonov is in the same boat as Georgiev, a full year younger, and it’s only his 3rd season in the league. Plus he’s a recent 1st round pick which does mean something, unlike Georgiev who was a UDFA

In the same vein, what reason would Samsonov have to leave money on the a table? He just saw Georgiev get a $10 mil contract, why would he take something significantly less?

I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signs and takes less, but I personally think it's wishful thinking. To me, this signals that Kuemper is all but guaranteed heading to Washington.

I think Toronto or Buffalo just found their goalie (or watch New Jersey swoop in and run a Samsonov/Vanecek tandem :laugh:).

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Campbell, talented headcase that is streaky
Mrazek, talented headcase that is streaky
Rittich, semi-talented headcase that is streaky
in on Matt Murray, another talented and expensive headcase that is streaky

wow that was easy.
You saying they're all headcases on the internet doesn't mean they are.

And Rittich played four games with the Leafs, lol.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
In the same vein, what reason would Samsonov have to leave money on the a table? He just saw Georgiev get a $10 mil contract, why would he take something significantly less?

I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signs and takes less, but I personally think it's wishful thinking. To me, this signals that Kuemper is all but guaranteed heading to Washington.

I think Toronto or Buffalo just found their goalie (or watch New Jersey swoop in and run a Samsonov/Vanecek tandem :laugh:).
If there are teams willing to sign Samsonov for 3 x 3, as a Capitals fan I'll wish Sammy the best of luck with his new team. :popcorn:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If there are teams willing to sign Samsonov for 3 x 3, as a Capitals fan I'll wish Sammy the best of luck with his new team. :popcorn:
If your options are Matt Murray, Craig Anderson, or Ilya Samsonov... I know which one i'm choosing. FWIW as an Avs fan, I would rather gamble with Georgiev/Samsonov over Kuemper.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Remember when everyone thought this guy was better than Shesterkin and Sorokin when they were all in the KHL because he was drafted 1st round and was one year younger?

My ranking for the past 3-4 years has been Shesterkin, Sorokin, Samsonov. Nothing has changed, although Samsonov has proven he isn’t close to the first two. First in the KHL and now in the NHL

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're right, Campbell's record in elimination games is great. :laugh:

Edmonton gets eliminated in the 1st round last year with Campbell in net.

Oilers won that series because McDavid just elevated his game and took over the series completely. I don't think Smith out/Campbell in changes anything, maybe the Kings lose in 6 instead because Smith basically gifted LA a free win in game 1 by being stupid and coming way out of his net for no reason to gift them a 3rd period goal that was the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad