Speculation: Ilya Samsonov non-tendered

Evergreen

This makes "insert amount of sense".

Sorry, you can't actually insert anything because it makes 0 sense unless there's something planned trade or contract wise. You don't let both your goalies go. Teams are getting dirt cheap.
Caps must be confident they can land Kuemper.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Why are Toronto fans so badly against getting a legit starter?

Nobody takes Samsonov over Cambpell

Campbell is not a legit starter.

He's 0-5 in elimination games, 4 of which his team was the better team. 0-3 in elimination games OT, in which his team outshot the competition a combined like 17-6.

Yes, he allowed 3 goals on 6 shots in OT during elimination games.

He had to take time off this season because he was mentally out of it in his first season as a starter. That's a starter to you?

He also played 70% of the year as the worst goalie in the NHL. Campbell's numbers look better because the Leafs had a good D in front of him. Campbell in Edmonton is going to make Koskinen look like Hasek in his prime.

What legit starters are on the market right now?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If I’m Edmonton or Toronto, this is the guy I’m signing. No worse than Campbell, but will cost less.
He was definitely worse than Campbell. He has all the athleticism and raw talent you could want but I'm not sure I've seen a less technically sound goaltender at the NHL level. He made routine saves look like highlight reels because his positioning was so bad.

I'm disappointed. He has the look of a top-end starter but he never put it together, or even came close. He's definitely worth a shot if you have a solid goaltending coach but if you're signing him to be your #1 next year, lots of luck.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
He was definitely worse than Campbell. He has all the athleticism and raw talent you could want but I'm not sure I've seen a less technically sound goaltender at the NHL level. He made routine saves look like highlight reels because his positioning was so bad.

I'm disappointed. He has the look of a top-end starter but he never put it together, or even came close. He's definitely worth a shot if you have a solid goaltending coach but if you're signing him to be your #1 next year, lots of luck.
Campbell started well, but he was the worst goalie in the entire NHL in the second half. He’s also older than Samsonov and has been mediocre for most of his career.

Neither are an ideal starter, but for a cash-strapped team, it just makes sense to target the younger, cheaper guy.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They may just try to see if they can sign him for less than his qualifying offer. I wonder if the Leafs will be in on him, considering they've been linked to every BAD goalie that may or may not be available (Murray, Gibson, Blackwood).

If they are just planning to let him walk then you'd have to believe they asked for something for him (maybe even from Tom Fitzgerald) but everybody said ''Nah bro, he sucks, look at his last two years and the year he played well he had to sit so you people could placate Holtby even though you fools knew you weren't bringing him back anyway''.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
If Georgiev had value, Samsonov 100% could’ve returned something. This makes me think the Caps and Samsonov come to an agreement on a contract just for less than his QO

Georgiev just returned 2 3rd round picks and a 5th, along with a 10 million dollar contract.

Samsonov is in the same boat as Georgiev, a full year younger, and it’s only his 3rd season in the league. Plus he’s a recent 1st round pick which does mean something, unlike Georgiev who was a UDFA

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Campbell is not a legit starter.

He's 0-5 in elimination games, 4 of which his team was the better team. 0-3 in elimination games OT, in which his team outshot the competition a combined like 17-6.

Yes, he allowed 3 goals on 6 shots in OT during elimination games.

He had to take time off this season because he was mentally out of it in his first season as a starter. That's a starter to you?

He also played 70% of the year as the worst goalie in the NHL. Campbell's numbers look better because the Leafs had a good D in front of him. Campbell in Edmonton is going to make Koskinen look like Hasek in his prime.

What legit starters are on the market right now?

Guess what, neither is Samsonov.
He’s just straight up garbage and worse than Cambpell.
Who drive himself into a corner when there’s only the ”worst” options left?

The Gm that somehow keeps getting praised at.

Please get either Murray or Samsonov so nobody needs to have any expectations for the Leafs

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Dubas
the-office-michael-scott.gif

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Guess what, neither is Samsonov.
He’s just straight up garbage and worse than Cambpell.
Who drive himself into a corner when there’s only the ”worst” options left?

The Gm that somehow keeps getting praised at.

Please get either Murray or Samsonov so nobody needs to have any expectations for the Leafs

They're both better than Campbell.

Did you miss the part where I said since the all-star break Campbell was the worst goalie in the NHL?

That includes goalies like Murray and Samsonov.

You've obviously not watched the Leafs much, Campbell was garbaage for 70% of the season but the Leafs had a great D in front of him clearing every rebound. Then he took like 2-3 weeks off because he needed a therapist because he's too hard on himself when he allows a bad goal every game and loses focus.

He's not an NHL starting goalie, he can't handle pressure.

Murray has won 2 Stanley Cups, Samsonov is 25 (5 years younger). What exactly makes Campbell better?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers goalie coach is dogshit. I think Samsonov will make some team very happy if they have the right system in place to finish off his development. Can't be us though.

Reactions: Morrison

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Wow, how the mighty have fallen. Feels like just yesterday he was put up there with his young Russian goalie counterparts, Shesterkin and Sorokin.
Isn't he 25 going on 26? Vasy is 27.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Samsonov is not going to Edmonton or Toronto. The only spot that makes sense for him is a low-pressure market that's not contending. Buffalo, Arizona, MTL (if Allen is moved)...that kind of place.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If Georgiev had value, Samsonov 100% could’ve returned something. This makes me think the Caps and Samsonov come to an agreement on a contract just for less than his QO

Georgiev just returned 2 3rd round picks and a 5th, along with a 10 million dollar contract.

Samsonov is in the same boat as Georgiev, a full year younger, and it’s only his 3rd season in the league. Plus he’s a recent 1st round pick which does mean something, unlike Georgiev who was a UDFA

Goalies are both very similar statistically. WSH is the superior team earlier in their careers, inflating Samsonov's numbers. Georgiev seemed to be regressing, performed well early and struggled as NYR became a better team.

Doubt he remains unsigned for long. Mentally lacks confidence, he has tremendous physical skills.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Isn't he 25 going on 26? Vasy is 27.
I guess more so “young” in terms of experience in the league. The three Russian S’s all came in around the same time and were often grouped together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad