Player Discussion Ilya Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Is he slower than Cousins? I don't think so.

I don't think so either.

Will he commit to covering the opposition as much as Cousins in his own zone? I don't think so. That's why he won't be on our 1st line IMO, Julien won't want a floater getting that much TOI.

However, playing his off wing with 3rd line TOI and Kotka as his C, we might see some neat top shelf rips - absolute rips, from Kovy. Weberesque shot while playing forward, and with better ability at picking corners.

Worst floater in the D zone though. Julien might have a stroke.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I just don't want to see him with KK and Weal. There will be nobody to get pucks down low. Weal has not won a board battle since minor midget and KK usually ends up on his butt in any battle.

Reactions: HabsFather

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I just don't want to see him with KK and Weal. There will be nobody to get pucks down low. Weal has not won a board battle since minor midget and KK usually ends up on his butt in any battle.

I bet CJ goes with this on Monday:

Tatar - Danault - Cousins
Poehling - Domi - Suzuki
Kovalchuk - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Vejdemo - Thompson - Weal

Reactions: Chr1s97

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Really, you expect that it will be dynamite? Poehling has no points in 15 games and KK is trying to grow into his body and Kovalchuk.......Jesus I can't even believe that he is a hab. If another team made this type of desperation move there would be at least a half dozen people here that would proclaim that "at least Bergie isn't as dumb as GM X". I can bet money that you would read that here!
How is it dumb? There is literally zero f***ing risk. I’m sure you said that when we traded for Domi, Danault, Weber, signed Radulov, etc. Worst case scenario it ends like Semin.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
How is it dumb? There is literally zero ****ing risk. I’m sure you said that when we traded for Domi, Danault, Weber, signed Radulov, etc. Worst case scenario it ends like Semin.

I would argue that's the best case scenario. Bye Kovy at the end of the year, and hello high 1st round pick. Semin did a lot more bad than good to this team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
How is it dumb? There is literally zero ****ing risk. I’m sure you said that when we traded for Domi, Danault, Weber, signed Radulov, etc. Worst case scenario it ends like Semin.

Well I don't entirely agree. In a year when you probably want to lose badly, getting him, while fun, might make you better...but not good enought to make the playoffs. So another 14th pick that might not amount to a whole lot. I think that this is something that could happen. Frankly, at this point, I have no idea why, I'm excited to see what he could do. But for me, it has to be either 2 things...he is incredible, makes us a playoff team and maybe beyond....or he falls on his face does nothing that won't jeopardize our position in the draft. Everything else is not that good....

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Briere
Semin
Hemsky
Kovalchuk

Am I missing anyone from the low risk low reward has-been trash heap?

He wasn't good enough to crack the Kings who are one of the few teams more desperate for forwards than us

And for anyone thinking this will get Cousins and Weal off the Top PP and Top 6 you're dreaming, KK/Poehling are the ones that will lose offensive time not CJs BFFs
Streit
Douglas (beep beep beep) murray
Gonchar
Weaver
Gibert

All from the "our Defense is terrible, here is a bandaid over 30" collection

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
So André Savard confirmed the offer the Habs made to the Thrashers for Ilya Kovalchuk, or rather, the #1 pick.

- Habs 1st round pick (#7)
- Marcel Hossa
- Ron Hainsey
- Jeff Hackett or Mathieu Garon

The Thrashers insisted on José Théodore...Andre Savard refused.

And the rest is history.
Dude, I would have driven Theodore to the airport myself, heck throw Hackett /Garon on top anyway for good mesure. In retrospect that was 100% a good deal for us.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Was Kovy playing LW or RW with the Kings? I only remember him playing LW in the past and never watched him this year

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Yvon Pedneault reacted to the Kovalchuk signing; I generally don't like at his articles but this struck me as refreshing. I would hope more mainstream media can echo those thoughts. The Habs were once "sentenced to win", but winning hasn't been important for a long, long time.

À l’époque où il cumulait les fonctions de directeur général du Canadien, Serge Savard répétait souvent: «Nous sommes condamnés à gagner.» Il s’agissait des propos d’un ex-capitaine, d’un ex-membre d’une formidable équipe dans les années 70. Savard voulait poursuivre la tradition et il a rempli son mandat avant que Ronald Corey commette une grave erreur en mettant un terme à son association avec celui qui dirigeait les opérations hockey. Depuis, cette équation ne tient plus. Le Canadien est une organisation qui ne se démarque plus, bien au contraire. Chaque saison, elle ferme les livres en laissant les consommateurs sur leur appétit. Depuis trop longtemps, on se contente de colmater les brèches avec des joueurs rejetés par les autres organisations de la ligue. Au niveau du recrutement, combien de joueurs sélectionnés entre 2012 et 2018 ont fait l’équipe et ont connu les succès escomptés? En 2020, le repêchage se déroulera au Centre Bell. Si jamais l’organisation réalise après la date limite des transactions, ou même à la pause du match des étoiles que les probabilités que l’objectif de l’entreprise soit atteint sont plutôt minces, devrait-on penser en fonction du derby Alexis Lafrenière?

Je suis persuadé que les amateurs comprendraient.

During his time as Canadiens GM, Serge Savard often said "We're sentenced to win" (condemned to win?). Those were the words of an ex-captain, and a former member of the glorious team from the 1970's. Savard wanted to keep the tradition alive and he fulfilled his mandate until such time that Ronald Corey made a grave mistake by cutting ties with his hockey operations director. Since then, this formula hasn't been upheld in Habs management. They don't tend to stand out as an organization; on the contrary. Each season, they close the books while leaving fans wanting more. For too long, they've been patching holes on the roster with players rejected by other organizations. With respect to drafting, how many players between 2012 and 2018 made the team and met expectations? In 2020, the draft is in Montreal. If the organization realizes after the TDL (or even during the All-Star break) that chances to attain corporate objectives are low, should they shift their efforts to the Lafrenière derby instead?

I'm convinced the fans would understand.

Signer Kovalchuk pour s’acheter du temps

:cheers: , Yvon.

Reactions: Gains and Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
So André Savard confirmed the offer the Habs made to the Thrashers for Ilya Kovalchuk, or rather, the #1 pick.

- Habs 1st round pick (#7)
- Marcel Hossa
- Ron Hainsey
- Jeff Hackett or Mathieu Garon

The Thrashers insisted on José Théodore...Andre Savard refused.

And the rest is history.
In a way that couldn't wok out.
Montreal needed to keep Theodore and have Kovalchuk to be a threat.
Atlanta needed either Theodore or Kovalchuk to really upgrade their team.
LOL who was picked 7th... Mike Komisarek.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Yvon Pedneault reacted to the Kovalchuk signing; I generally don't like at his articles but this struck me as refreshing. I would hope more mainstream media can echo those thoughts. The Habs were once "sentenced to win", but winning hasn't been important for a long, long time.

À l’époque où il cumulait les fonctions de directeur général du Canadien, Serge Savard répétait souvent: «Nous sommes condamnés à gagner.» Il s’agissait des propos d’un ex-capitaine, d’un ex-membre d’une formidable équipe dans les années 70. Savard voulait poursuivre la tradition et il a rempli son mandat avant que Ronald Corey commette une grave erreur en mettant un terme à son association avec celui qui dirigeait les opérations hockey. Depuis, cette équation ne tient plus. Le Canadien est une organisation qui ne se démarque plus, bien au contraire. Chaque saison, elle ferme les livres en laissant les consommateurs sur leur appétit. Depuis trop longtemps, on se contente de colmater les brèches avec des joueurs rejetés par les autres organisations de la ligue. Au niveau du recrutement, combien de joueurs sélectionnés entre 2012 et 2018 ont fait l’équipe et ont connu les succès escomptés? En 2020, le repêchage se déroulera au Centre Bell. Si jamais l’organisation réalise après la date limite des transactions, ou même à la pause du match des étoiles que les probabilités que l’objectif de l’entreprise soit atteint sont plutôt minces, devrait-on penser en fonction du derby Alexis Lafrenière?

Je suis persuadé que les amateurs comprendraient.

During his time as Canadiens GM, Serge Savard often said "We're sentenced to win" (condemned to win?). Those were the words of an ex-captain, and a former member of the glorious team from the 1970's. Savard wanted to keep the tradition alive and he fulfilled his mandate until such time that Ronald Corey made a grave mistake by cutting ties with his hockey operations director. Since then, this formula hasn't been upheld in Habs management. They don't tend to stand out as an organization; on the contrary. Each season, they close the books while leaving fans wanting more. For too long, they've been patching holes on the roster with players rejected by other organizations. With respect to drafting, how many players between 2012 and 2018 made the team and met expectations? In 2020, the draft is in Montreal. If the organization realizes after the TDL (or even during the All-Star break) that chances to attain corporate objectives are low, should they shift their efforts to the Lafrenière derby instead?

I'm convinced the fans would understand.

Signer Kovalchuk pour s’acheter du temps

:cheers: , Yvon.
When I'd frequently see Yvon Pedneault with Pierre Houde, I thought he had good insights.
Eventually tanking for Lafrenière is not a bad idea. Still, I don't see Bergevin "taking that risk".
These days, tanking is not really condemned as you're not sure of getting the 1st overall anyway.
If you don't get Lafrenière, that's where the problem starts. Unless the other team is willing to trade, before or at the draft, with the Habs offering a package. Something including one of best current Habs, prospects and/or picks.
Let's say the Habs pick #4, it might be easier to try and get higher... but apparently Lafrenière is no ordinary player...

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
When I'd frequently see Yvon Pedneault with Pierre Houde, I thought he had good insights.
Eventually tanking for Lafrenière is not a bad idea. Still, I don't see Bergevin "taking that risk".
These days, tanking is not really condemned as you're not sure of getting the 1st overall anyway.
If you don't get Lafrenière, that's where the problem starts. Unless the other team is willing to trade, before or at the draft, with the Habs offering a package. Something including one of best current Habs, prospects and/or picks.
Let's say the Habs pick #4, it might be easier to try and get higher... but apparently Lafrenière is no ordinary player...

I liked Pedneault on air because he was real. He was genuinely pissed off during long losing streaks. I think he's right on the money here.

You're right, Laf will indeed be exceptional. But don't think for one second Ottawa & Detroit don't know that themselves.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In a way that couldn't wok out.
Montreal needed to keep Theodore and have Kovalchuk to be a threat.
Atlanta needed either Theodore or Kovalchuk to really upgrade their team.
LOL who was picked 7th... Mike Komisarek.
If it wasn't this organization's obsession with having a star goaltender.

We would have had Kovalchuk.

Reactions: MasterD and jaffy27

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
If it wasn't this organization's obsession with having a star goaltender.

We would have had Kovalchuk.
Even if Kovalchuk is now near the end, he had much more staying power than Theodore!

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Briere
Semin
Hemsky
Kovalchuk

Am I missing anyone from the low risk low reward has-been trash heap?

He wasn't good enough to crack the Kings who are one of the few teams more desperate for forwards than us

And for anyone thinking this will get Cousins and Weal off the Top PP and Top 6 you're dreaming, KK/Poehling are the ones that will lose offensive time not CJs BFFs
Streit
Douglas (beep beep beep) murray
Gonchar
Weaver
Gibert

All from the "our Defense is terrible, here is a bandaid over 30" collection

We're injury depleted. Not sure how anyone can poo poo signing a guy who will cost us 70k in the minors if he can no longer play...

Plus the Scandella trade looks like highway robbery.

I don't like MB. But that doesn't mean I'll blindly lump these moves with past bad moves.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I bet CJ goes with this on Monday:

Tatar - Danault - Cousins
Poehling - Domi - Suzuki
Kovalchuk - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Vejdemo - Thompson - Weal

Those are my lines exactly.

How great would it be if Kovy knocks Weal back to the 4th line and iff the PP???

But, why do you see CJ taking lehkonen off the 2nd line and putting Poehling on it? It's what he should do. Lehkonen would provide a strong defensive presence to counter balance Kovalchuk. But I just don't see CJ doing it. CJ wants Lehkonen on the 2nd line imo.

I would also like to see:

Poehling Domi Lehkonen (similar to lehk Domi shaw that had success last year)

Kovalchuk KK Suzuki ( Suzuki provides good D but can also set up Kovy)

But again i don't see CJ trying this.

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
Dude, I would have driven Theodore to the airport myself, heck throw Hackett /Garon on top anyway for good mesure. In retrospect that was 100% a good deal for us.

So easy to say 20 years later. At the moment of that draft, Hossa was a solid prospect, a 1rst rounder (16th overall 200p), who just had a 90 pts in 58 games in OHL with 34 goals and an already dominant brother in the NHL. And Ron Hainsey was also a solid prospect being selected 13th overall in 2000 and who finished his second NCAA season with more than a PPG.

So basically for the first overall you would have give 3 first rounders (one of them being 7th overall) + a solid goaltender or prospect goaltender.
Any GM in his right mind would have refuse to give so much high potential prospects for the first overall.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Yes, Bergevin should have a meeting with all the players and tell them they aren't good enough for Montreal, so they should do all they can to lose to please the fans who wants a 18.5% chance at Lafrenière. I'm sure every players and staff members will understand and think it's a great idea to waste a year of their life so a 17 yo come and save them. Especially guys like Domi, Cousins, Thompson, Mete and Scandella who needs to sign a new contract, they will be happy to oblige.

That's the kind of thing every great GMs do, everyone know it.
Or, you know, he could not ask anything special from thetplayers, just not get Scandella, not get Kovalchuk, Trade some vets (Petry and/or Weber and/or Price) for high picks/blue Chip prospects and go from there...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad