Player Discussion Ilya Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I think people are going to be surprised how well he does here. He scored 16 goals in 60 games last year on the kings who have low offense and low shot totals. Montreal on the other hand does very well 5 on 5, high shot totals and a much improved power play. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t score 15 goals and 25 points down the last half of the season
His shot is still lethal but his skating was/is bad.

I think I he said he was training in Miami and lost some weight, that could help for speed.

If his skating is better(and good enough), the Habs fans will love him and he will pull a Kovalev.

We will see very quickly if he is up too speed.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Here's my seemingly unpopular opinion : I'm excited to see Kovalchuk in a Habs jersey

Attachments

• IMG-20200104-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20200104-WA0001.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Tyson

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010

I think I he said he was training in Miami and lost some weight, that could help for speed.

If his skating is better(and good enough), the Habs fans will love him and he will pull a Kovalev.

I hear ya his skating wasn’t the greatest in LA but everyone is slow on la haha. I’m expecting the habs speed to help carry him a bit. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
- Extended Markov and Emelin
- Traded for Gonchar and Nesterov
- Signed Radulov and Kovalchuk as UFAs
- Drafted Scherbak, Sergachev, Romanov, and Khisamutdinov,

Gonchar retired.
Nesterov decided to go back to the KHL
Emelin was taken in the Expansion Draft
Scherbak was lost to waivers
Sergachev was used in a trade
Romanov is still with the Canadiens, who are doing what they can to try to convince him to sign.
Kovalchuk just signed.

Only Markov and Radulov can be used as an example of ugliness.

But the narrative that MB doesn't like Russians is a false and weak as an argument.

The narrative is we lost 5 russians at the end of one season and he traded our only two left the season following. Trade and waiving guys is still removing them from the team.
2016-2017 Nesterov, Emelin(should have been protected over Jordie fircken benn and signing schlemko over Nate), Sergachev, Markov, Radulov All gone in 2 weeks. Sherbak and Chuck the year following with No russians in our lineup since...till soon? 5 of them gone in such a small time sounds liek a purge if you would ask anyone. Compare it against any other nationality?

And not one of us understand the reason for this signing.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Kovy, KK, Poehling will be dynamite.
Really, you expect that it will be dynamite? Poehling has no points in 15 games and KK is trying to grow into his body and Kovalchuk.......Jesus I can't even believe that he is a hab. If another team made this type of desperation move there would be at least a half dozen people here that would proclaim that "at least Bergie isn't as dumb as GM X". I can bet money that you would read that here!

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Briere
Semin
Hemsky
Kovalchuk

Am I missing anyone from the low risk low reward has-been trash heap?

He wasn't good enough to crack the Kings who are one of the few teams more desperate for forwards than us

And for anyone thinking this will get Cousins and Weal off the Top PP and Top 6 you're dreaming, KK/Poehling are the ones that will lose offensive time not CJs BFFs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So André Savard confirmed the offer the Habs made to the Thrashers for Ilya Kovalchuk, or rather, the #1 pick.

- Habs 1st round pick (#7)
- Marcel Hossa
- Ron Hainsey
- Jeff Hackett or Mathieu Garon

The Thrashers insisted on José Théodore...Andre Savard refused.

And the rest is history.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Briere
Semin
Hemsky
Kovalchuk

Am I missing anyone from the low risk low reward has-been trash heap?

He wasn't good enough to crack the Kings who are one of the few teams more desperate for forwards than us

And for anyone thinking this will get Cousins and Weal off the Top PP and Top 6 you're dreaming, KK/Poehling are the ones that will lose offensive time not CJs BFFs
You could include Parenteau but he was never really that good.
But for he's trash this is he's best one yet lol we might have a used can that can be recycled for 5 cents.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

...and as others have pointed out already, that's not necessarily a good thing. That's a better look at a 15th pick. The WC race is a very tough one as things stand today, and there's no way this Kovalevesque stunt from Kovy has the Habs fighting for a divisional spot.

Best case? Great entertainment for 3 months. Not prepared to say adding a Kovalesque run from Kovalchuk gets us in the PO.

Worst case? A difference of 5 to 10 spots at an awesome draft class, and the event is held in the Habs' backyard. Disgusting.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad