Player Discussion Ilya Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I mean...sure? Don't hate the move but hope this doesn't mean we won't be selling this year
No but it might be enough to ensure we get a crappier pick than we actually need,typical bargain bin,no risk no reward pathetic move.:boredom:

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Pros :

9 pts in 17 games this year.
Pacing at a 0.53 PPG since the star of last season.
He's probably still better than half our team tbh.
Could teach Drouin and the other kids some elite stuff.
The guy above can get a Kovalchuk Habs jersey.
2-way contract
Looks like he wants to compete.

I can't wait to see his first game :popcorn:

Cons :
He's 36 YO Kovalchuk.
Takes time from the young guys when everyone is back.
Could not fit with the team.
Could be a bad locker room influence on the young guys (I highly doubt so).

Did I miss something ?

Reactions: Redux91

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I love people calling out this move a "panik" move by Bergevin, while they panic about a league minimum contract.

He won't take away from young players to develop, he will take time from Cousins and/or Weal. Suzuki won't lose ice-time and we don't have another RW to develop in the pro right now.

Give him the spot with Danault and Tatar, play him on PP1, have him produce and trade him to a contender at the deadline or when Gallagher and Armia are back.

It's clearly a win-win for Bergevin AND Kovalchuk. Bergevin needed to fix the hole, and he didn't have to give up anything of value for a player like Toffoli. And Kovalchuk bet on himself, on a team with a lot of injury to prove he can help a team and hopefully a contender wants him.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Kovalchuk got great character...Nate Thompson and Scott Mellamby both vouched for him saying he’s a good human being.

Also he was the one responsible for squashing the beef between Malkin and Ovechkin during the 09 Montreal All-star game.

Bonus: Markov is laughing for the first time ever :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I think he will play kk
Danault is on the shutdown line, so I dont see kovalchuk playing there
Domi is with suzuki

Tatar - Danault - cousins
Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Poehling - KK - Kovalchuk

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I'm psyched, great marketing move. Will be fun on the PP. How are his hands, are they still slick? I couldn't care less if Kovalchuk can skate or not; maybe you can trade him for a pick at the deadline if it works out?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I'm psyched, great marketing move. Will be fun on the PP. How are his hands, are they still slick? I couldn't care less if Kovalchuk can skate or not; maybe you can trade him for a pick at the deadline if it works out?

People keep saying that he can be flipped at the deadline for a free asset, but who is going to give anything for him if they could have had him for free and he remained unsigned? I guess he could elevate his game in MTL and garner some interest, but it looks like Semin 2.0 to me.

Reactions: FF de Mars

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Keep your expectations proportional to compensation.

I still like this experiment regardless of how it turns out.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Bergevin on Kovy:

Bergevin on Kovalchuk: 'He has to buy in...he knows it's his last chance'

Good game

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
If we're talking about kids playing minutes, it's really only Suzuki and Kotkaniemi - Poehling should still be in the AHL and none of Evans, Vejdemo, Hudon, etc. deserve more than a cup of coffee. Both of Suzuki (C/RW) and Kotkaniemi (C) have solid positions on the team and neither are being threatened by Kovalchuk (LW) whether the rest of the team is healthy or not.

This is nothing but a bonus for the young players. Getting to play with a former elite NHLer with loads of experience? Getting to play with Kovalchuk instead of Weal or Cousins on the PP? Allowing young players to develop in the AHL once everyone is back? This is an easy win for the roster whether or not it actually translates into any wins for the team.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
People keep saying that he can be flipped at the deadline for a free asset, but who is going to give anything for him if they could have had him for free and he remained unsigned? I guess he could elevate his game in MTL and garner some interest, but it looks like Semin 2.0 to me.

You'll be surprised how much decisions are taken from instant present cheese rushes; moreover it might be great for a contender, if Kovalchuk proves he belongs you bury him in depth; as 4 rounds of playoffs are exhausting and subject to injury plagues.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

1 big reason is that he takes a roster spot, and teams dont have a roster available for a guy like him right now. At the tdl, there isnt the 23 player roster limit anymore, so more teams will be interested

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad