Speculation: Ilya Kovalchuk

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
My prediction is anyone who signs him for more than 1 year, maybe 2 will seriously regret it if they plan on being a competitive team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Teams better then Dallas and LA, San Jose possibly Washington obviously Tampa Nashville they're definitely closer to winning then either Dallas or LA that's for sure.

How is San Jose any more of a contender than Dallas or LA? They finished with two more points in the standings than the Kings, and had 3 more wins during the regular season than Dallas. You don't think Kovalchuk improves those teams' chances?

And nobody here was calling the Caps a Cup contender last summer, and now they have lost their head coach.

If he wants to win a Cup, he'll go sign with Pittsburgh.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
How is San Jose any more of a contender than Dallas or LA? They finished with two more points in the standings than the Kings, and had 3 more wins during the regular season than Dallas. You don't think Kovalchuk improves those teams' chances?

And nobody here was calling the Caps a Cup contender last summer, and now they have lost their head coach.

If he wants to win a Cup, he'll go sign with Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh would definitely be an option for sure, I could see him going to Pitt. Dallas and LA have chocked the last two years just doubt he has any interest in either.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Pittsburgh would definitely be an option for sure, I could see him going to Pitt. Dallas and LA have chocked the last two years just doubt he has any interest in either.

Was LA considered a Cup contender prior to 2012? The Penguins went through a seven year drought after winning the Cup in 2009, and a team with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang were always considered Cup contenders. The Blackhawks were considered contenders in 2016 and look at how they went out.

Like others pointed out, who expected Vegas to be as good as they were? How they perform next season is just as big of a mystery, as is who will be competing for the Cup next season. Kovalchuk is likely going to a team that is good, can make the playoffs, and where he has some decent linemates he can play with who give him a chance to win, and the team's in contention for his services match that criteria.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I mentioned it in the other Kovy thread but 100% guarantee he ends up somewhere close to NY or Hollywood. Why?

She runs the show and wants to be near the glitz and glamour, live the real celeb life.

And I mean who could blame Ilya. I'd sign with any team to make her happy.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh wont sign Kovalchuk. Sullivan would literally rip his head off his body the first time he floats at the top of his own blue line instead of back checking

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I mentioned it in the other Kovy thread but 100% guarantee he ends up somewhere close to NY or Hollywood. Why?

She runs the show and wants to be near the glitz and glamour, live the real celeb life.

And I mean who could blame Ilya. I'd sign with any team to make her happy.

Ok like you know these people on a personal level

Not all wives run the show btw

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Ok like you know these people on a personal level

Not all wives run the show btw

I do social analysis for a living. People put way too much personal information and indicators on their socials. She'll 100% steer the Kovalchuk family to a locale close to the glitz and glamour of high society where she can do her modelling.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
LA just barely snuck into the post season as an 8th seed in 2012... and emerged as the first 8th seed in NHL history to win the Cup.

They were also only the 2nd team to steam roll the first, second, and third seeds from the playoffs.

How many of you called LA as the dark horse to even beat Vancouver in the first round?

Last I checked, SJ and Boston didn't get a prize for runner up any more than LA or Anaheim this year. Only one team wins the cup every year. End of story.

After witnessing Vegas' run this past year and the shortsighted comments here, apparently it's not a foregone conclusion that NHL fans, especially the brilliant armchair GM posters that we have here on HF, can comprehend the amount of parity in this league.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Yeah why would he come to Dallas. More money and no state income taxes? Who wants that that's horrible? Oh and he'd have to play with one of his best friends Radulov? God can you imagine getting more money and playing with people you like while on a team ready to contend? Horrible isn't it?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I do social analysis for a living. People put way too much personal information and indicators on their socials. She'll 100% steer the Kovalchuk family to a locale close to the glitz and glamour of high society where she can do her modelling.

IF she is really running the show, why did Kovalchuk leave the US in the first place? He was already situated near New York... so she could model etc as you are stating

At the end of the day he is after a cup. Every expert states this is the primary reason why he wants to comeback ... and I believe them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad