Speculation: Ilya Kovalchuk

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Heard that tarasenko hosted kovy at his house over the weekend last weekend. Blues could be dark horse.

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
I'd be cautious about teams overpaying for a 35 year old who hasn't played in the NHL in 6 years. KHL stats are very misleading, it is the KHL after all, especially the team he played for (SKA).

Reactions: simon IC

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Looks like Boston's in the mix.

The Bruins filled their need for a top-six winger this past season at the trade deadline when they acquired Rick Nash. Nash, however, sustained a concussion shortly after the trade and time in Boston did not go as Sweeney or the winger had hoped. Nash is slated to hit the open market on July 1 and Sweeney confirmed that signing Kovalchuk would spell the end of Nash's time with the Bruins.
“We continue to talk to Rick, and he’s going to continue to take some time to make the decision that he wants to make,” Sweeney said. “Time is on his side. He gets to make that [decision] into looking at that. Obviously, we close the door [on Nash talks] if we we're fortunate enough to sign Ilya, but you’re kind of jockeying simultaneously. He will have options [in free agency] as well.

If I'm Nash, I'm already looking for work elsewhere. Nobody wants to be a consolation prize. :laugh:

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Saw Kovy was training with Malkin. Obviously this could just be because they're Russian buddies.

But maybe they trade Phil Kessel and sign Kovy?

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
You were probably running around last summer saying Vegas and Washington weren’t contenders. This years playoff should have shown NHL fans that there are way more teams that could win a cup than the 3-5 teams that are “favored “.

Well it's not the fans who are deciding where Ilya goes. It's him. And I highly doubt he wants to go to a team that isn't a Stanley Cup contender even if there's a small chance that they could defy the odds and win it.

I'll change my picture to Chiarelli if he goes to a team that didn't make the playoffs this past year.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kovalchuk last played in the NHL when the Kings were a contender. In fact, his last NHL playoff game ended in watching them skate the Cup around the ice. I wonder if he realizes how far they've fallen since then. This could end up with an amusing situation where both parties think that it's still 2012.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Disappointed Dallas isn't after him.

Well realistically no one was reporting Radulov to DAL either, until just before it happened. So not surprised that it's quiet on that front.
Or maybe it's because Nill realized he can have Panarin instead :sarcasm:

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I think San Jose is making room for an Erik Karlsson trade personally

I don't think that is the case but I could see that making more sense out of the Hoffman deal. Ottawa giving up Hoffman for so little and taking back Boedker clearing cap space in San Jose while San Jose flips him to acquire more of the currency in draft picks that they lacked before to send back to Ottawa in a later Karlsson trade.

Again, I don't think this is what will happen, but it would be interesting and make some sense if the Hoffman trade was to help set up a Karlsson trade.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I could have sworn a few posters in here were all but certain Ilya was going to thee 'Ultimate Contender' ala Boston Bruins. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad