Speculation: Ilya Kovalchuk

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
After Voynov, I don't think the Kings will roster another Russian player. Plus they don't have the salary cap room as they still need to sign some players.

LA has plenty of cap room. The cap's not staying at $75m and the only spots they need to fill are in the press box.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
IF she is really running the show, why did Kovalchuk leave the US in the first place? He was already situated near New York... so she could model etc as you are stating

At the end of the day he is after a cup. Every expert states this is the primary reason why he wants to comeback ... and I believe them

He left the US for his family. Family (his wife is part of that) means a lot to him, and is a big driving force in his decision making process.

If you think that all he cares about is a cup, you're out to lunch. If that was the case he'd sign for league minimum with Washington. It's probably a factor, and a great thing to say to instil faith and show teams you're about winning, but it's not the only factor.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Kovalchuk wants to win a Cup but I think he also wants to be a major factor in a cup run. so I think he signs with a team that is lacking a top six winger but is still close to being a contender . LA and Dallas make the most sense as they will have the cap without having to make any major deals .

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He left the US for his family. Family (his wife is part of that) means a lot to him, and is a big driving force in his decision making process.

If you think that all he cares about is a cup, you're out to lunch. If that was the case he'd sign for league minimum with Washington. It's probably a factor, and a great thing to say to instil faith and show teams you're about winning, but it's not the only factor.

why would he sign the minimum? when he can obtain both.

there is zero guarantee Capitals repeat next season, regardless of what an intoxicated TJ Oshie thinks

Kovalchuk going back to Russia had to do because his wife is part of it? Do you know these people personally? Or are you guessing like no tomorrow

At his age, I doubt he returns to the NHL for lifestyle or because his kids misses their friends. I'm not saying he is going to completely dismiss what his wife wants....but can't see it at the expense of his career going nowhere

We will see who is right. I say, SJ or Boston for a chance to win a cup ... you think he wil join a middle of the pack/rebuild teams like NYR or LA mainly because of his wife

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Kovalchuk wants to win a Cup but I think he also wants to be a major factor in a cup run. so I think he signs with a team that is lacking a top six winger but is still close to being a contender . LA and Dallas make the most sense as they will have the cap without having to make any major deals .

You started out well but then..

LA and Dallas make the most sense? lol

They are not only a Kovalchuk away. They need much more than that

Bruins and SJ make the most sense

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
You started out well but then..

I think bruins and San Jose are right there as contenders as it is . I think those teams are less likely to want to throw the same money at him . Dallas has nichushkin returning from the khl as well and they were doing good up until lehtonen had to play every game down the final stretch . LA just needs a sniper to play with Kopitar and they could easily be at the top of the West . It’s only my speculation that he wants to have a key role rather than possibly being pushed down the lineup by younger players though . Have to add in the fact that he’s very good buddies with radulov who I’m sure hasn’t tried to steer him away from dallas .

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
why would he sign the minimum? when he can obtain both.

there is zero guarantee Capitals repeat next season, regardless of what an intoxicated TJ Oshie thinks

Kovalchuk going back to Russia had to do because his wife is part of it? Do you know these people personally? Or are you guessing like no tomorrow

At his age, I doubt he returns to the NHL for lifestyle or because his kids misses their friends. I'm not saying he is going to completely dismiss what his wife wants....but can't see it at the expense of his career going nowhere

We will see who is right. I say, SJ or Boston for a chance to win a cup ... you think he wil join a middle of the pack/rebuild teams like NYR or LA mainly because of his wife

Every single article about Kovy's retirement had quotes from him or articles saying he was going back to Russia for his family.

He literally moved his kids to Russia and took less money than what was on his table, and you think making strides in his NHL career is what he wants? lol

Umm first of all, it's probably because you're arguing with everyone, I said California and close to New York, meaning I also think San Jose is a prime spot. I think LA, even Anaheim (GASP, are those California teams too?!) are options to given their proximity to the glitz and glamour. As well as NYR, NYI, and NJD.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I say, SJ or Boston for a chance to win a cup ... you think he wil join a middle of the pack/rebuild teams like NYR or LA mainly because of his wife

I think he is already a lock to sign with the Bruins :sarcasm:

The guy is coming back at a chance to win the cup not join middle of the pack teams like the Islanders, Stars, Rangers are at the moment

why would Kovalchuk join a middle of the pack team like LA?

Jesus, give it a rest. We are only 3 pages deep here.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I think bruins and San Jose are right there as contenders as it is . I think those teams are less likely to want to throw the same money at him . Dallas has nichushkin returning from the khl as well and they were doing good up until lehtonen had to play every game down the final stretch . LA just needs a sniper to play with Kopitar and they could easily be at the top of the West . It’s only my speculation that he wants to have a key role rather than possibly being pushed down the lineup by younger players though . Have to add in the fact that he’s very good buddies with radulov who I’m sure hasn’t tried to steer him away from dallas .

Bruins need a guy to play with DK on the wing. They'll be willing to pay just no idea how much... I have no idea what's thing to happen but it's a unique situation

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
After Voynov, I don't think the Kings will roster another Russian player. Plus they don't have the salary cap room as they still need to sign some players.

One Russian player beats his wife so LA management is done with Russia forever ? That makes so much sense lolll

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I just don't think he's an impact signing. He will put up some points due to playing on top lines/powerplays. What he brings in offence, you must sacrifice in other areas. I will probably change my tune if he signed for under 4 million, but anything over is dicey.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Kovalchuck to San Jose is a 2nd option if they can't land Tavares,with that being said he's going to Boston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad