Speculation: Ilya Kovalchuk

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
I couldn't find an all-inclusive Kovalchuk thread so I figured I'd start one.

If there already is, mods feel free to merge this in.

That being said, with their most recent move, does anyone think SJ's most recent move is to allow them to make a big push for Kovalchuk, salary-wise?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Given Kovys age I don’t know why they wouldn’t just keep Hoffman who’s also a good goal scorer and much younger.

I get he has outside baggage but so did Kane. Also let’s not forget Kovy screwed the Devils.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Feel like San Jose wants to make any free agent push they can, starting with Tavares but if Kovy is a reasonable option you have to think they consider it.

One thing is for sure, Doug Wilson seems like a savvy GM right now and I'm sure he's not making these moves to offer a ludicrous albatross of a contract.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You have to think SJ is one of the front-runners now, given their newfound cap space. They must think so, too, otherwise they would've just retained Hoffman.

I think the Sharks gun for Tavares, with Kovalchuk being a fine consolation prize.

Reactions: minisharkpanther

Pastawithsauce

May 10, 2017
I think SJ was freeing money up for a fatty Tavares offer. Then I’d see them throwing money at JVR if JT doesn’t pan out.

I have this weird feeling that Kovy is coming to Boston. He may turn Krejci into a 50 assist threat again.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
The Blues GM has stated over the weekend that they where interested in him and for the right price and years, I take him. As long he can play as well he has been in the KHL. He would be a good fit as a bridge player. That would allow our top prospects to develop more and making sure they are not given to much so early. It sounds like the Blues want to make Thomas a third line Center first before pushing him to the top two. Gain the NHL experience which is smart.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Dallas because of Radulov.

I think he should go to Tampa because he'll have his best shot of winning a cup there, that or the Jets but I do understand he wants to live somewhere exciting.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think he is already a lock to sign with the Bruins :sarcasm:

The guy is coming back at a chance to win the cup not join middle of the pack teams like the Islanders, Stars, Rangers are at the moment

SJ also has a good shot but Boston is closer to Russia

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

The guy is coming back at a chance to win the cup not join middle of the pack teams like the Islanders, Stars, Rangers are at the moment

Technically, San Jose is closer to Russia. But, Boston is closer to Moscow. Don't forget the back-door route! ;)

Reactions: wintersej

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008

is it really much closer when flights go over the Pole?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad