Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Fun fact: Todd played with Ilya his rookie year in Atlanta almost 20 years ago. They developed a friendship and have known each other since. Vet and a rookie.

Now, Todd will coach Ilya.

Time flies, man.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Looking at some analytics.... Kovy’s shot suppression rate was the BEST amongst all Montreal forwards during his time there. Awesome.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
It's funny, when Montreal signed him they went out of their way to show their contempt for him. League min AND two way contract, press conferences about how they needed bodies because of all their injuries. You could just tell Julien couldn't wait to run him out of the nhl for good. In a couple of weeks he totally wins over Julien, Bergevin, every soul in Montreal, so much that Bergevin pretty much trades him on his terms instead of rying to snag a 2nd from some desperate team that misses out on Kreider tomorrow. And now he again has to convert a bunch of skeptics on his new team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Does nothing for this team except disrupt a tight clubhouse. I guarantee Kovy didn't want to leave MTL as he appeared to love it there.

They gave up nothing but I am not a fan.
Are you kidding? Coming to play with Ovechkin with a legit chance to win a Cup? He would leave Montreal thrice for that. He is also a great teammate to have. A couple of PP goals in the playoffs are worth more than a third when you want to win now.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Same rumor has been going around about Ovechkin his entire life.

I've never once heard that. And since there is so much video of young Ovechkin I can't see how it would even be possible not to confirm his age considering his mother is pretty famous in Russia and his birth would have been documented heavily there.

As to the move, don't think for one second I don't want to be wrong, I am a Caps fan above everything. I really really hope it works and Kovulchuk brings something to the team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This came out of no where. It seems kinda steep for a guy with 19 points this year, but whatever.

I wonder where/how he slots in? I'd kinda like a Kovy/Kuzya 3rd line to see how that rolls.

More like 22 in 39 GP. That makes him 9th in P/GP on the Caps. Obviously 8th among forwards. And all that disregarding how he was treated in LA and what minutes and assignments he got there.

Reactions: koalabear9301

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It's funny, when Montreal signed him they went out of their way to show their contempt for him. League min AND two way contract, press conferences about how they needed bodies because of all their injuries. You could just tell Julien couldn't wait to run him out of the nhl for good. In a couple of weeks he totally wins over Julien, Bergevin, every soul in Montreal, so much that Bergevin pretty much trades him on his terms instead of rying to snag a 2nd from some desperate team that misses out on Kreider tomorrow. And now he again has to convert a bunch of skeptics on his new team.

Oh the drama...

Aging offensive player not known for motor & disciplined two-way play joins a team with lots of offensive talent and in need of motor & disciplined two-way play. Some fans question the fit. What exactly is shocking here? lol

Kovy is one of my favorite players, let's hope he does fantastic, but let's also acknowledge at least some aspects of reality here.

Reactions: Heath and Raikkonen

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

He isn’t bad defensively at all. If anything he’s above average and shouldn’t bring down the Eller line in that regard at all.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Fun fact: Todd played with Ilya his rookie year in Atlanta almost 20 years ago. They developed a friendship and have known each other since. Vet and a rookie.

Now, Todd will coach Ilya.

Time flies, man.

This is actually first time I even thought to check on Reirden's player career.

Todd actually fought PJ Stock once. After looking at him behind our bench for couple years, mind blown.

Maybe this will also work as a stress relief video for some of the guys/girls in our forum.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I like it. One of the few that was calling for Kovalchuk, although that was when he didn't cost a draft pick. Honestly, this is the best place he could have landed, on the third line with Eller and Hagelin. His lack of speed is made up for by Hagelin and Eller. And they can cover defensively as well. The 3rd line badly needed a finisher, something that we were hoping out of Panik. And Kovalchuk doesn't have to play major minutes here, so hopefully that keeps him fresh.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Another thing: I know Ovie plays all 2 minutes of each PP. And thats all and good while hes chasing Gretzky. But I do not want him out there all 2 minutes during the playoffs. Would rather let him rest and conserve energy for a full hard fought series for however many rounds. Give the left point spot on PP2 unit to Kovy.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I will never understand those on here upset over losing meaningless draft picks. The cup era in Washington is now. When Ovi is gone in 4 5 years this team will go down the tubes to middle of the league mediocrity or worse as it was before. Is Kovy here to save the team from the current funk? no. He is added scoring depth for a 3rd line that provides nothing most of the time and maybe he gets some PP time to help solve that problem. A 3rd round pick that is maybe a 10-20% chance of even making the roster one day 5 years from now means little.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People who say we could've had him for free when he was waived, did we have the cap space at the time to ink a reasonable deal? I don't recall. Have not had time to keep up with all the details this year. Thanks.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
People who say we could've had him for free when he was waived, did we have the cap space at the time to ink a reasonable deal? I don't recall. Have not had time to keep up with all the details this year. Thanks.

We could have signed him to a reasonable deal at that time, the rumors coming out when he left LA was that he was looking to play for a contender, willing to take less money (already making $$ from 2 other teams).

But, we would probably not have been able to sign him for league minimum at 50% retained. So there probably wouldn't be space for Dillon unless we made another move.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We could have signed him to a reasonable deal at that time, the rumors coming out when he left LA was that he was looking to play for a contender, willing to take less money (already making $$ from 2 other teams).

But, we would probably not have been able to sign him for league minimum at 50% retained. So there probably wouldn't be space for Dillon unless we made another move.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Glad that he had extended tryout/showcase with MTL to prove he still had something to offer,
much more sensible now than 25 games ago when we were 10 pts above everyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad