Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I remember seeing Kovalchuk as a Devil in my first ever caps game back in 2010. I think this is awesome. Can’t wait to see him in a caps sweater. So this means we don’t have a second or third in this upcoming draft?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Would have preferred someone with a little more pace to their game, but a 3rd line winger with enough offensive ability to fill in higher in the lineup was exactly what I asked for. Let’s see if he can maintain his MTL level of play and if he can acclimate to the locker room.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I remember seeing Kovalchuk as a Devil in my first ever caps game back in 2010. I think this is awesome. Can’t wait to see him in a caps sweater. So this means we don’t have a second or third in this upcoming draft?

We'll still have Arizona's 3rd if we don't win the Cup. No 2nd or 3rd if we do win. Small price to pay if we do win it.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I like our mix of young talent with old grizzled vets. The two most successful teams in Caps history, the 1998 and 2018 teams, had that same mix, IIRC.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ok....Kovy on the PP....other than Ovy’s office, where is he proficient? I’d love to see him bump Vrana....

Vrana or Kuzy play a role meant for a left shooting player. The Caps use right shots in the slot, and where Carlson and Ov play. Kovalchuk cant do what needs to be done where Wilson and Oshie play. I am confident we wont see much of him on the pp

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Vrana or Kuzy play a role meant for a left shooting player. The Caps use right shots in the slot, and where Carlson and Ov play. Kovalchuk cant do what needs to be done where Wilson and Oshie play. I am confident we wont see much of him on the pp

then I’m confident they will remain inconsistent and ineffective. I’m hoping they’re more creative than you’re imagining.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I think he's the backup to Ovechkin. Which isn't a lot of time usually but I think he'll get some time there just so we're not going into the playoffs with no experience.

Especially with the PP sucking... they can't keep doing the same things!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ovie, Kovy, Carly, Backy, Osh-babe

Put Oshie behind the net/down low from side to side.
Backstrom in his usual office.
Then use Ovie, Carlson, and Kovy in a triangle that can rotate/switch at the top so the PK can't cheat to Ovie all day.

Reactions: Bananas

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think he's the backup to Ovechkin. Which isn't a lot of time usually but I think he'll get some time there just so we're not going into the playoffs with no experience.

Especially with the PP sucking... they can't keep doing the same things!

The 1 3 1 set up is the primary set up in the entire league. New wrinkles, sure. But if the Caps are taking Ovechkin off the ice or putting him somewhere that his elite shot is not in the plan, you have lost already.

Ovechkin's pp shifts now extend past the end of the power play if the Caps have possession. I don't see Kovy getting is sort of legit pp time unless its something like a double minor or a major penalty pp.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Ovie, Kovy, Carly, Backy, Osh-babe

Put Oshie behind the net/down low from side to side.
Backstrom in his usual office.
Then use Ovie, Carlson, and Kovy in a triangle that can rotate/switch at the top so the PK can't cheat to Ovie all day.

That is super slow, I worry they won't be able to enter the zone.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The 1 3 1 set up is the primary set up in the entire league. New wrinkles, sure. But if the Caps are taking Ovechkin off the ice or putting him somewhere that his elite shot is not in the plan, you have lost already.

Ovechkin's pp shifts now extend past the end of the power play if the Caps have possession. I don't see Kovy getting is sort of legit pp time unless its something like a double minor or a major penalty pp.

I feel like you don't read the post you respond to.

I said he may get time to gather experience for the Playoffs, for those situations you just described.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I feel like you don't read the post you respond to.

I said he may get time to gather experience for the Playoffs, for those situations you just described.

I understood. I am saying they are not going to do that.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
I think Eller gets knocked out of the 2PP for Kovy, especially now that we play Kuz on the 2nd unit. Ovi will still get his 1:40+ on the PP.

1PP: Oshie-Backy-Vrana-Ovi-Carly
2PP: Wilson-Kuz-Kovy-Ovi-Orlov

Oshie and Wilson remain in the bumper positions. On the 2nd unit Ovi and Kovy can cover from the front of the net to the left point. They can alternate and float all along the left side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad