Proposal: Ilya Kovalchuk to Boston.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I hope Montreal re-signs him.

1. Montreal has a lot of young forwards who could learn a couple of things from him.
2. He apparently has a great attitude.
3. He adds some size to a lineup that sorely lacks some.
4. Having him would make North America that much more attractive to Romanov.
5. Let's be honest. Russians generally thrive in Montreal. And so far the fit is great.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If the Bruins wanted Kovy, they would have had him for $700K. They don't want him.

You think NHL scouts see him in Montreal and say, 'oh wow, we were completely wrong about him, sorry Mr general manager'? Can we give up our 2nd round pick to get him now?

Happens a lot actually. Players sign for cheap in summer and boost their value through their play in the season. Heck there are situations where Bergevin waived Condon and he gets traded for a 5th rounder by team that claimed him like couple weeks later.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Some people here are quite innocent or just plain ignorant.

It's not because nobody signed him weeks ago for 700k means that they wouldn't want him now.

It's like you never watch hockey before to understand that some players can do better with a new team, a new start, in a new role.

In term of production, yes the sample is still small but if any of you, or the GMs or whatever, watched him play with the Habs, it's quite obvious that Kovalchuk is still good enough to help any teams that needs depth on the wing. His speed is not a problem, he's still a big, right shooter that can score like any middle 6 wingers. And its not like he's getting his stats boosted by his wingers, he's playing with Danault and Tatar right now, 2 good players but not superstars and yet he still manages to be a PPG player after 7 games.

It's like when Radulov came back from the KHL, Montreal gave him a chance, he played great with us and got himself a multi-year contract with Dallas. If Kovalchuk continues to play like this, and I think he will, teams will no doubt inquire for him at trade deadline. I actually think that was his strategy. Do his best until the TDL and eventually get traded to a contender so he can get a chance to win the cup.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was worth basically nothing. If he keeps this up, then maybe Mtl can get a 5th or 6th round pick from someone desperate.

False narrative. What he was worth prior to signing with the Habs means less than what kind of production he puts up with the 22 games he will play for the Habs from when we signed him till deadline. You would love to acquire him for a 5th or 6th but think about supply and demand. If Kovalchuk puts up 18-22 pts or more in 22 games, there is going to be some eyebrows raised and lots of teams interested... especially how easy he is to fit in with the cap he has.

I bet that you won't bet he will get a 5th or 6th and that is it. Words are cheap

Reactions: sharks9

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He had other offers. He went to the place that offered him the most ice time due to the habs having a ton of wingers injured, not the most money. So no, he probably wasn’t interested in the Bruins at 700k. He just trying to reestablish himself for future contracts.

Yeah, show the reports that say that because there are plenty of them out there that outright said the Bruins weren't interested at all.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
He had other offers. He went to the place that offered him the most ice time due to the habs having a ton of wingers injured, not the most money. So no, he probably wasn’t interested in the Bruins at 700k. He just trying to reestablish himself for future contracts.
can you share a link showing he had multiple offers? the only links i know of speak of teams not interested.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No team is going to give anything of value for the guy. If they wanted him, they would have signed him for free. If a team wants him, Montreal will basically do Kovy a favor and send him there. I expect the return to be a 7th, not unlike Kovalev in 2011.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Boston fans - 7th rounder, and a small bag of pucks....not a big bag

Habs fans - 2nd rounder and a prospect

Everyone else - Montreal sucks, wont get anything for him because its Montreal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doubt he pulls a 2nd. Maybe a 3rd or 4th and reclamation type prospect.

Kovalchuk going to prove you wrong and I bet you there will be multiple 2nd round picks on the table from several teams at the deadline. Bruins have to pay more vs others :nod:. Sorry but you would do it to us if the situation was reversed.

Supply and Demand always sets the price. Not much top 6 talent available and Kovalchuk playing better and better with the Habs and we will be getting healthy. Stars are lining up. Don't be jealous that his value was shit before we signed him and he produced with the Habs cause we are playing him in the right role.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No team is going to give anything of value for the guy. If they wanted him, they would have signed him for free. If a team wants him, Montreal will basically do Kovy a favor and send him there. I expect the return to be a 7th, not unlike Kovalev in 2011.

You are ignoring context. Values change with time and trends.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Still has wicked everything, he’s even fast, yes he’s actually a fast player.

Fast?....:laugh:

No, he's not fast. His experience gives him the ability to be in the right spot at the right time on the ice which makes him look fast, but you make him sound like he's Paul Byron or something. Lets get real here...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

No, he's not fast. His experience gives him the ability to be in the right spot at the right time on the ice which makes him look fast, but you make him sound like he's Paul Byron or something. Lets get real here...

I don't think you have watched one single game he has played with the Habs yet. He's been very good and his skating is not elite but certainly looks good out there.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I hope Montreal re-signs him.

1. Montreal has a lot of young forwards who could learn a couple of things from him.
2. He apparently has a great attitude.
3. He adds some size to a lineup that sorely lacks some.
4. Having him would make North America that much more attractive to Romanov.
5. Let's be honest. Russians generally thrive in Montreal. And so far the fit is great.

We said all those things with Radulov....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, I watched them all. He's not that fast, but his hockey IQ is quite high.

He's far from being slow and ineffective in terms of skating ability though. I think the word fast is relative to how he looked with the Kings. But that was more about being uninspired to play

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He was worth basically nothing. If he keeps this up, then maybe Mtl can get a 5th or 6th round pick from someone desperate.
If he keeps this up it basically means he's a top-6 right handed rental forward at the deadline. Please explain to me, how other GM's previous error in judgement would lower his price at that point?

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We said all those things with Radulov....

We wanted to sign Radulov. Bergevin tried for months (Dec of 2016 - Jul of 2017). Radulov was shopping our offers and circled back to the Habs after the Stars said yes to a contract and then asked Bergevin to offer more to offset taxes. That's when Bergevin got frustrated with both Markov and Radulov and the quotes came out... "you want loyalty, buy a dog" and "expect the unexpected"

Turns out that Radulov at $1M more AAV for 5 years would of still been a good contract. Would he have shopped that offer back to the Stars? :dunno:

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
He's far from being slow and ineffective in terms of skating ability though. I think the word fast is relative to how he looked with the Kings. But that was more about being uninspired to play

Where did I say he was slow? I just think that the poster I quoted is exaggerating Kovalchuk's speed. He looks fast because of his positioning. He knows where to find lanes and create chances.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where did I say he was slow? I just think that the poster I quoted is exaggerating Kovalchuk's speed. He looks fast because of his positioning. He knows where to find lanes and create chances.

Nah... you are moving it too much to the pessimistic side where he is surviving on skill and IQ too much. His skating is very good and saying he is fast is not overly wrong based on what I have seen in the last 7 games. Elite level? NO

Whatever, we probably see it close

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

We’re a fast team and his speed is just fine with us. If I was to rate his speed I would put him in the moderately fast category, Byron would be in the Turbo speed category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad