Proposal: Ilya Kovalchuk to Boston.

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
What would Boston be willing to give up for him.

5 Points in 6 games.

I know its a short sample but he has been playing really well and honestly I think he would fit in perfectly with Boston and RW is their only area of weakness. 2nd?3rd?4th?5th? Bergevin would most likely ask for a pick.

I personally would want him to return something like:

Mtl: Kovalchuk, 2020 4th(High 4th) or 2020 5th(High 5th)

Boston: 2020 2nd(Low second)

Idk if I'm out of line

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's gonna need a bigger sample size, but if he stays anywhere CLOSE to a ppg, in MTL, where scoring is always a problem, he'll pull a 2nd. Somebody will give it up for him.

I think a lot of buyers are keeping an eye on him. He'll be somebody's plan-B at the TDL. Or plan-C.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I'd refuse if I was Kovalchuk

These top teams were disrespectful to his talent level and skill to not sign him to a minimum contract. Let Boston fail in the playoffs like they usually do to teach them a lesson.

Reactions: HabsQC

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The Habs just signed this guy off the street when anyone else could have made the same offer and didn’t. He’s having a nice streak in Montreal while benefitting from significant ice time but that doesn’t mean much as he likely wouldn’t get the same deployment elsewhere.

I’ve seen a few threads asking about Kovalchuk’s trade value now and it seems a lot of Habs fans are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Not sure Boston would be interested, but from any team, a comparable I would suggest would be the return Ottawa got in 2011 for Alex Kovalev who was in hid late 30’s but could still chip in offensively. A conditional 7th which could become a 6th based on performance.

Alexei Kovalev trades - NHL Trade Tracker

Maybe Bergevin can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get as high as a 4th, but any more than that would be extremely unlikely in my view.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
The Habs just signed this guy off the street when anyone else could have made the same offer and didn’t. He’s having a nice streak in Montreal while benefitting from significant ice time but that doesn’t mean much as he likely wouldn’t get the same deployment elsewhere.

I’ve seen a few threads asking about Kovalchuk’s trade value now and it seems a lot of Habs fans are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Not sure Boston would be interested, but from any team, a comparable I would suggest would be the return Ottawa got in 2011 for Alex Kovalev who was in hid late 30’s but could still chip in offensively. A conditional 7th which could become a 6th based on performance.

Maybe Bergevin can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get as high as a 4th, but any more than that would be extremely unlikely in my view.

Any team off the street could have signed Panarin too, do you think he wasn't worth anything after showing what he could do with Chicago because of that?

These teams didn't sign Kovalchuk because they had no idea if the problem was with Kovalchuk or LA. Now watching his performance in Montreal much of the situational uncertainty is removed. That extra information has value. Is John Marino still only worth a 6th round pick after showing what he can do?

No reason he's not worth a 2nd or 3rd if his play warrants it especially with carrying the smallest cap hit possible.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wouldn’t mind he isles going after him. Islanders need a guy who can shoot the puck in the worst way.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Any team off the street could have signed Panarin too, do you think he wasn't worth anything after showing what he could do with Chicago because of that?

These teams didn't sign Kovalchuk because they had no idea if the problem was with Kovalchuk or LA. Now watching his performance in Montreal much of the situational uncertainty is removed. That extra information has value. Is John Marino still only worth a 6th round pick after showing what he can do?

No reason he's not worth a 2nd or 3rd if his play warrants it especially with carrying the smallest cap hit possible.

1) Panarin was a highly sought after free agent when he signed in Chicago.

2) Panarin was available to sign in Chicago because he had gone undrafted. His production in Russia drew significant interest.

3) Panarin’s subsequent domination in the NHL cemented a significant value.

4) Panarin was at no point of his NHL career benched by his team and told he wouldn’t play any more leading to Panarin’s contract literally being terminated mid season forcing him to accept to throw away millions of dollars of salary in the process if he wanted to move on to another team.

You can’t be serious with this comparison.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Lol if you look at Kovalchuk's first 5 games in LA, he puts up 6pts in 5 games and the Kings purposely reduce his ice time and basically screw the guy over. He produces and the Kings are purposely reducing his ice time more and more until they finally get the result they wanted, hoping he'd leave. That's a pathetic display by a GM like Blake if anything.

He came to the Habs and has earned those minutes, hell he's earned a ton of respect for the contract he took just to stay in the NHL when everyone was joking about the fact that he was going to take off back to Russia and get tons of money back there again. What irks you more, a guy that has produced like an elite winger that left and came back to give it another go but the team he chose was the worst possible choice for him and he's supposedly done and not capable of good numbers anymore?

Because he is, he's proving it was never him that was the problem, most people that weren't so busy sitting on their sofa's waiting for the I told you so's about Kovalchuk, knew there was a ton more to Kovalchuk's game. He doesn't look "slow" like people wanted to believe and he's every bit as talented as one would assume at his age and at this point in this career.

I think Bergevin is a tool, but he did good on this one.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd refuse if I was Kovalchuk

These top teams were disrespectful to his talent level and skill to not sign him to a minimum contract. Let Boston fail in the playoffs like they usually do to teach them a lesson.
Is there any proof that nobody else offered him a contract?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Lol if you look at Kovalchuk's first 5 games in LA, he puts up 6pts in 5 games and the Kings purposely reduce his ice time and basically screw the guy over. He produces and the Kings are purposely reducing his ice time more and more until they finally get the result they wanted, hoping he'd leave. That's a pathetic display by a GM like Blake if anything.

He came to the Habs and has earned those minutes, hell he's earned a ton of respect for the contract he took just to stay in the NHL when everyone was joking about the fact that he was going to take off back to Russia and get tons of money back there again. What irks you more, a guy that has produced like an elite winger that left and came back to give it another go but the team he chose was the worst possible choice for him and he's supposedly done and not capable of good numbers anymore?

Because he is, he's proving it was never him that was the problem, most people that weren't so busy sitting on their sofa's waiting for the I told you so's about Kovalchuk, knew there was a ton more to Kovalchuk's game. He doesn't look "slow" like people wanted to believe and he's every bit as talented as one would assume at his age and at this point in this career.

I agree it was a good move by Bergevin, no risk with a potential reward for a team that was absolutely desperate for help on the wing and PP due to injuries and trying to halt a losing streak. Kovalchuk got a shot and is proving that he can still produce if given top six minutes and PP time.

That doesn’t mean Kovalchuk’s trade value will all of a sudden change from nil (nobody picked him up on waivers and then after his contract was terminated he was UFA for two weeks before being signed) to a second round pick in seven weeks. I’m just commenting on his trade value. If I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat some crow, I guess we’ll see in the next five weeks.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree it was a good move by Bergevin, no risk with a potential reward for a team that was absolutely desperate for help on the wing and PP due to injuries and trying to halt a losing streak. Kovalchuk got a shot and is proving that he can still produce if given top six minutes and PP time.

That doesn’t mean Kovalchuk’s trade value will all of a sudden change from nil (nobody picked him up on waivers and then after his contract was terminated he was UFA for two weeks before being signed) to a second round pick in seven weeks. I’m just commenting on his trade value. If I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat some crow, I guess we’ll see in the next five weeks.
In 7 weeks or so, there's about a little over a dozen games left for a lot of teams, 14-16 range, that's about 20~ games for teams to see if he's still a guy that can put up points and all indications has always pointed to yes. Kovalchuk's ppg wasn't the issue, it was his fit in LA and being used very little which in the Q&A he talks about.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Yep the gave him 19 million in a evil plot to screw him over

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yep the gave him 19 million in a evil plot to screw him over
Gave him 19m and then decided to use him in less minutes and never really utilized him properly, yeah...Kovalchuk failed THEM, apparently.

In the beginning of the season, he was playing a decent amount for the Kings, but as his minutes decreased so did his stats, he's a guy that, as he even states, needs to play more he trains for that. Meanwhile he's not really changed and has come over to the Habs and has thrived. Weird, his fault tho, right?

On a terrible Kings team, he was on pace for 43+ pts in both seasons, at 6.4m cap hit, that's him putting up those numbers on a terrible team. On a better team, you bet he'd be producing better and he is, albeit a struggling Habs team but he's producing, he was at a half ppg on a terrible LA team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhouse

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
In 7 weeks or so, there's about a little over a dozen games left for a lot of teams, 14-16 range, that's about 20~ games for teams to see if he's still a guy that can put up points and all indications has always pointed to yes. Kovalchuk's ppg wasn't the issue, it was his fit in LA and being used very little which in the Q&A he talks about.

Except he says I’m no good when I play 7 minutes a night, but he played 15 minutes a night. Problem was he was lazy and the other team scored many many goals against him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Except he says I’m no good when I play 7 minutes a night, but he played 15 minutes a night. Problem was he was lazy and the other team scored many many goals against him.
And many teams continue to score many many goals against the Kings, while Kovalchuk has been praised for his hard work on the Habs and he was on pace for 43pts in both seasons with the Kings.

Not sure why you're mad, he's doing well. If he continues to do well and the habs are out of a playoff spot, a team will most definitely look at Kovalchuk's cap hit and his production and trade for him.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
And many teams continue to score many many goals against the Kings, while Kovalchuk has been praised for his hard work on the Habs and he was on pace for 43pts in both seasons with the Kings.

Not sure why you're mad, he's doing well. If he continues to do well and the habs are out of a playoff spot, a team will most definitely look at Kovalchuk's cap hit and his production and trade for him.

I’m not mad, he showed up played poorly and had a crap attitude to go with it. He has played 6 good games for the habs, cool.
43 points and a -36.
Perhaps since he isn’t secure with a nice fat contract he is trying now, don’t know don’t care.
But the ‘screwed him over’ is false, you don’t think the other teams saw him play or looked at his game tapes once he lost his job in LA? No one wanted him because he suckkked, points are great and all but actually trying when the other team has the puck matters a lot. And before his heroic 5 points on the habs he didn’t try all that hard.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’m not mad, he showed up played poorly and had a crap attitude to go with it. He has played 6 good games for the habs, cool.
43 points and a -36.
Perhaps since he isn’t secure with a nice fat contract he is trying now, don’t know don’t care.
But the ‘screwed him over’ is false, you don’t think the other teams saw him play or looked at his game tapes once he lost his job in LA? No one wanted him because he suckkked, points are great and all but actually trying when the other team has the puck matters a lot. And before his heroic 5 points on the habs he didn’t try all that hard.
Cool, and in that same span, Doughty is a combined -44.

That Kovalchuk, still ruining Doughty's game even from the press box and now on the Habs!

Most of that LA team is a combined god awful in that stat.

In any case, he's doing well, you seem sour about it.

Reactions: angry pirate

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Cool, and in that same span, Doughty is a combined -44.

That Kovalchuk, still ruining Doughty's game even from the press box and now on the Habs!

Most of that LA team is a combined god awful in that stat.

In any case, he's doing well, you seem sour about it.

Nice and Doughty can go sit on the beach count his money and do nothing to help his team. I guess the kings are screwing him over to?
I ain’t sour I said I don’t care, but you said he got screwed over and that’s a lie so I called you on it.
I got a real brain buster for you, why do you think no one wanted him and the habs who are desperate for help offered him almost nothing to play? It ain’t cause he got screwed over

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nice and Doughty can go sit on the beach count his money and do nothing to help his team. I guess the kings are screwing him over to?
I ain’t sour I said I don’t care, but you said he got screwed over and that’s a lie so I called you on it.
I got a real brain buster for you, why do you think no one wanted him and the habs who are desperate for help offered him almost nothing to play? It ain’t cause he got screwed over
Lol, jesus christ you sound bitter.

He came to LA, they fired the coach and his usage and the plans for him changed and it showed, it is what it is, he did get screwed over, he came to the Kings because he thought he was coming to a team that had its shit together, they clearly didn't and still don't.

Also, if you think Kovalchuk has earned less than Doughty over his career, not including the unreported cash he made in Russia, you're kidding yourself even more. Kovalchuk isn't one to be worrying about money for the rest of his life, that's for sure.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lol, jesus christ you sound bitter.

He came to LA, they fired the coach and his usage and the plans for him changed and it showed, it is what it is, he did get screwed over, he came to the Kings because he thought he was coming to a team that had its **** together, they clearly didn't and still don't.

Also, if you think Kovalchuk has earned less than Doughty over his career, not including the unreported cash he made in Russia, you're kidding yourself even more. Kovalchuk isn't one to be worrying about money for the rest of his life, that's for sure.

Stop making excuses for the lazy bum. Enjoy drooling over his play, he like every other I’m here to retire player on the kings are the reason the coach got fired.
Now they are not up to his standards? Lol. lol

Lol

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They could have just signed him. No team is giving Montreal a thing for him.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
They could have just signed him. No team is giving Montreal a thing for him.
Kovalchuk's value is increasing. He might be worth something by the trade deadline. He also would not be rusty and if in good health, he's can still snipe once in a while.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad