Proposal: Ilya Kovalchuk to Boston.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
They could have just signed him. No team is giving Montreal a thing for him.

Bingo!!
A second or a third??? Ha .......Delusional Hab fan.
The Habs are not getting anything for someone that was basically free. Let's get real.
Lock this up.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I'd refuse if I was Kovalchuk

These top teams were disrespectful to his talent level and skill to not sign him to a minimum contract. Let Boston fail in the playoffs like they usually do to teach them a lesson.

:facepalm:

EDIT: Jesus, you're a Devils fan. And you talk about fail??? It's not 2003 anymore... I have a soft spot for the Devils because of Hischier, but you should be right around the last one to talk about other team's fail. Start by getting to the playoffs a touch more often, eh?

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

These top teams were disrespectful to his talent level and skill to not sign him to a minimum contract. Let Boston fail in the playoffs like they usually do to teach them a lesson.
But he wants a crack at the cup

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
This has been bounced around in threads not linked to any team. Just general discussion. Consensus seemed to be no more than a third unless you manage to get teams into a bidding war.

His value prior to signing with Montreal is meaningless. He's shown a commitment and attention to details at both ends of the ice while in Montreal. Things didn't work in LA. They work in Montreal. They can work elsewhere.

If he'd been with Montreal the last couple of years, was producing at a rate similar to what he is now, and the team was still out, teams would offer a fair bit. Regardless of his age, guys with his skills that hit the trade market fetch a return. It's only diminished because he's been with Montreal for a couple of weeks.

From a Montreal perspective, the prudent thing to do is trade him at the deadline. Depending on what Caufield chooses to do after this season, I'd consider bringing Ilya back on a one year deal. He's fit in well, likes the group, has gone above and beyond (taking the whole team out to dinner), and I think he'd be a good offensive mentor for some of our young players.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

At least Boston makes the playoffs :laugh:

Boston isn't giving up anything for Kovalchuk. They could have had him for free.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Funny to see all the "He won't get anything at the deadline, he was free a couple of weeks ago" comments. I think the past showed us a LOT of times that we're often off on players value on this board.

Brian freaking Boyle was worth a 2nd round pick at last years deadline. Kovalchuk is playing some good hockey lately and guess what, teams have scouts watching NHL games and they obviously noticed that. Plus he has 5 points in 6 games. And 14 points in 23 games this season even if the Kings misused him (he possibly deserved it, I don't know). That's a 50 points/season pace. I think he holds some value. A little value at the very least.

And stop with the "Nobody wanted him". You don't know how many offers he received.

Thanks for reading.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I don't know why the hell a playoff team didn't take a chance on him when he could've been had for free? It was obvious he still had offensive ability as he produced even in his terrible situations in LA, now he's going to put up respectable numbers playing higher up in a depleted lineup, story old as time, and some GM will pay an asset for him. Having said that I doubt he gets a 2nd, still doesn't make a lick of sense to me it was no risk, medium reward and no one bit.

Boston does seem like a good fit. So many people worry about his foot speed but he'd likely be tested as a winger for Kreici, whose best line combo featured Lucic so he just might fit.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

His main goal is winning a Stanley Cup. That won't be happening in Montreal.

I'd love to see him to go a Pittsburgh/Boston

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Boston and Montreal don't exactly trade with each other very often. I'd think any other team in the league has a better shot at a trade.

Sam Dynamite

Apr 23, 2019

Only problem is that you can't refuse a trade lol

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Why Boston?
because Boston was rumored to be one of the last teams in on him when he signed in LA, they were rumored to be interested in trading for him at last year's deadline (but LA would not retain enough...good job Blake), and they still could use another RW.

As a King's fan I am glad he is getting the chance to play his game. I hope his improved play continues but if Habs fan expect to turn him into anything more than a 5th rounder they should not get their hopes up.

What would be ironic is that one of the front runner for Toffoli is Boston. If they do deal for Kovalchuk it would likely mean they are out on Toffoli.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
because Boston was rumored to be one of the last teams in on him when he signed in LA, they were rumored to be interested in trading for him at last year's deadline (but LA would not retain enough...good job Blake), and they still could use another RW.

As a King's fan I am glad he is getting the chance to play his game. I hope his improved play continues but if Habs fan expect to turn him into anything more than a 5th rounder they should not get their hopes up.

What would be ironic is that one of the front runner for Toffoli is Boston. If they do deal for Kovalchuk it would likely mean they are out on Toffoli.

I guess, but they didn't sign him. My guess is that if Kovalchuk continues to rehabilitate his reputation, a number of teams would be interest in him as an expected low price tag + low cap hit injury insurance. So If Montreal decides to trade Kovalchuk, why would they single out their arch-rivals as the team to do business with? Low price means lots of team to do business with.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Funny to see all the "He won't get anything at the deadline, he was free a couple of weeks ago" comments. I think the past showed us a LOT of times that we're often off on players value on this board.

Brian freaking Boyle was worth a 2nd round pick at last years deadline. Kovalchuk is playing some good hockey lately and guess what, teams have scouts watching NHL games and they obviously noticed that. Plus he has 5 points in 6 games. And 14 points in 23 games this season even if the Kings misused him (he possibly deserved it, I don't know). That's a 50 points/season pace. I think he holds some value. A little value at the very least.

And stop with the "Nobody wanted him". You don't know how many offers he received.

Thanks for reading.

I’m not aware of any examples in recent memory of a guy signing as a UFA in January 3rd (or say mid season) and being traded for significant assets such as a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline of the same season.

Can anyone think of similar situations?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I guess, but they didn't sign him. My guess is that if Kovalchuk continues to rehabilitate his reputation, a number of teams would be interest in him as an expected low price tag + low cap hit injury insurance. So If Montreal decides to trade Kovalchuk, why would they single out their arch-rivals as the team to do business with? Low price means lots of team to do business with.

I'm looking at this as Boston reaching out, not Montreal.

They didn't sign him because LA offered an extra year, more money and a NMC. Blarg

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I’ve seen a few threads asking about Kovalchuk’s trade value now and it seems a lot of Habs fans are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Idk I'm looking at the Rick Nash return and a 2nd round pick doesn't seem too high for Kovalchuk

OP even adds a 4th/5th pick on Montreal's side. Not unrealistic at all imo.

Reactions: CDN24

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I'm looking at this as Boston reaching out, not Montreal.

They didn't sign him because LA offered an extra year, more money and a NMC. Blarg

1) They could have got him for free, I doubt they have more interest than any other team.

2) Its a thread started by a Habs fan soliciting offers from the Bruins. I just don't see Boston offering more than any other team and, all things being equal, Montreal would probably take the same or similar offer from a team in a different division/conference than from Boston.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
This has been bounced around in threads not linked to any team. Just general discussion. Consensus seemed to be no more than a third unless you manage to get teams into a bidding war.

His value prior to signing with Montreal is meaningless. He's shown a commitment and attention to details at both ends of the ice while in Montreal. Things didn't work in LA. They work in Montreal. They can work elsewhere.

If he'd been with Montreal the last couple of years, was producing at a rate similar to what he is now, and the team was still out, teams would offer a fair bit. Regardless of his age, guys with his skills that hit the trade market fetch a return. It's only diminished because he's been with Montreal for a couple of weeks.

From a Montreal perspective, the prudent thing to do is trade him at the deadline. Depending on what Caufield chooses to do after this season, I'd consider bringing Ilya back on a one year deal. He's fit in well, likes the group, has gone above and beyond (taking the whole team out to dinner), and I think he'd be a good offensive mentor for some of our young players.

Honestly, he could score 20 points next season and be out of shape, I would bring him back for the sole reason you pointed in the bolded. I believe that the Habs have lacked a true elite forward who can teach some elite-level tricks to the kids so they can actually elevate their plays.

It's not Danault, Tatar, Drouin that are going to show them that type of skillset.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Idk I'm looking at the Rick Nash return and a 2nd round pick doesn't seem too high for Kovalchuk

OP even adds a 4th/5th pick on Montreal's side. Not unrealistic at all imo.
Even the massively overrated and ancient Rick Nash could at least play defense competently.

Thankfully, Clode doesn't have any hair left.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
1) They could have got him for free, I doubt they have more interest than any other team.

2) Its a thread started by a Habs fan soliciting offers from the Bruins. I just don't see Boston offering more than any other team and, all things being equal, Montreal would probably take the same or similar offer from a team in a different division/conference than from Boston.

fair but what makes you think that any other teams would be interested for point 2 to happen?

and as for point 1, after seeing him being productive maybe interest reignites.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
fair but what makes you think that any other teams would be interested for point 2 to happen?

and as for point 1, after seeing him being productive maybe interest reignites.

For the same reason Boston would be? Like, I'm pretty sure Boston isn't the only playoff contending team in the NHL that would look at a productive Kovalchuk and think "hey, maybe we should look to acquire the cheap, productive veteran winger with a league minimum contract?"

Reactions: abo9

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Honestly, he could score 20 points next season and be out of shape, I would bring him back for the sole reason you pointed in the bolded. I believe that the Habs have lacked a true elite forward who can teach some elite-level tricks to the kids so they can actually elevate their plays.

It's not Danault, Tatar, Drouin that are going to show them that type of skillset.

Agreed. He seems to have fit in well as a sort of father figure and embraced it. Commuting with Mete every day has given Victor a chance to pick his brain about a lot of things. Having him around for a year would be really good I think.

Reactions: abo9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad