Proposal: Ilya Kovalchuk to Boston.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
They could have just signed him. No team is giving Montreal a thing for him.

Totally disagree. The big selling point could be that Montreal retains 50%. They have the ownership $. All of a sudden at 350k pro-rated, he's a cap-stretched team's top 9 answer. I know what you're thinking, "wow 350k!" but the cap crunch is very real for a lot of teams this year.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What would Boston be willing to give up for him.

5 Points in 6 games.

I know its a short sample but he has been playing really well and honestly I think he would fit in perfectly with Boston and RW is their only area of weakness. 2nd?3rd?4th?5th? Bergevin would most likely ask for a pick.

I personally would want him to return something like:

Mtl: Kovalchuk, 2020 4th(High 4th) or 2020 5th(High 5th)

Boston: 2020 2nd(Low second)

Idk if I'm out of line

boston would have to waive someone now... or send kuhlman down. smart money says they will be giving kuhlman/blidh/and potentially federic and senyshyn looks leading up to the deadline

right now they seem pretty happy with Bjork joining krejci/debrusk to round out the top 6... and then this group of 4 prospects are going to get a chance to join coyle/Heinen on a 3rd line

boston could have had kovalchuk for free if they had wanted to try him out... but they arent really desperate for scoring or for pp help.

try again at the deadline if none of the kids step up in the next month

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lol if you look at Kovalchuk's first 5 games in LA, he puts up 6pts in 5 games and the Kings purposely reduce his ice time and basically screw the guy over. He produces and the Kings are purposely reducing his ice time more and more until they finally get the result they wanted, hoping he'd leave. That's a pathetic display by a GM like Blake if anything.

He came to the Habs and has earned those minutes, hell he's earned a ton of respect for the contract he took just to stay in the NHL when everyone was joking about the fact that he was going to take off back to Russia and get tons of money back there again. What irks you more, a guy that has produced like an elite winger that left and came back to give it another go but the team he chose was the worst possible choice for him and he's supposedly done and not capable of good numbers anymore?

Because he is, he's proving it was never him that was the problem, most people that weren't so busy sitting on their sofa's waiting for the I told you so's about Kovalchuk, knew there was a ton more to Kovalchuk's game. He doesn't look "slow" like people wanted to believe and he's every bit as talented as one would assume at his age and at this point in this career.

I think Bergevin is a tool, but he did good on this one.

Outside of the second game of the season he was consistently used around the 15 min mark. Infact his best game for production was also the game with the least amount if TOI. I know this doesn't suit your narrative though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Outside of the second game of the season he was consistently used around the 15 min mark. I know this doesn't suit your narrative though.
That he's still playing well? Get over it.

It bothers you and the naysayers that hate that he's doing well, so much because you lot all tripped over yourselves when he was bought out to say he was garbage and here he is, in Montreal, doing well. Stings a little huh.

Reactions: Steeler23

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
His value in trade will be based on what he did/does between when the habs signed him and the trade deadline. Anything before that is irrelevant. Teams that were wary when he was available will only give a crap how he will perform from the deadline into the playoffs. Value Is all about perception.

Reactions: Steeler23

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Have to trade him no matter what. If kovy is near a ppg at the deadline a lot of teams will call. Hes extremely cheap and the teams agianst the cap will call. Washington and Boston were already interested. I think Colorado, florida, and TB would be good options too.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Have to trade him no matter what. If kovy is near a ppg at the deadline a lot of teams will call. Hes extremely cheap and the teams agianst the cap will call. Washington and Boston were already interested. I think Colorado, florida, and TB would be good options too.
Why should Montreal help a rival like Boston win a Cup?
If Boston really wants Kovy, they'll have to pay up... BIG TIME.

Honestly, as a Hab fan, I'd much rather keep Kovy. He's exciting to watch and I'm so happy he's on my team (one of my childhood favourites). If we were to trade him, I'd want a LOT for him. I don't give a shit how he played with the Kings - he clearly is top-line material here in Montreal and it shows. We're not letting go of top-line material, regardless of age, for a stupid, worthless 3rd round pick. Get over yourselves.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I dont care who hes traded too. The best offer wins. I like watching kovy but the Habs are going no where this year and probably next. Kovy is 36 and wants a Stanley cup which hes not getting in Montreal. Hes not going to resign in Montreal in my opinion so you have to get the best offer you can. Kovy was asked about resigning in the scum last night and dodged the question.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Honestly, as a Hab fan, I'd much rather keep Kovy. He's exciting to watch and I'm so happy he's on my team (one of my childhood favourites). If we were to trade him, I'd want a LOT for him. I don't give a **** how he played with the Kings - he clearly is top-line material here in Montreal and it shows. We're not letting go of top-line material, regardless of age, for a stupid, worthless 3rd round pick. Get over yourselves.

I think Bergevin would respect his wishes if he wants to go to a top ranked team for a big playoff run or not.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
even with the uptick teams could have had him for under 1m not to long ago. they arent going to turn around and pay big for him. you will get something but not something worth bragging about.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

Honestly, as a Hab fan, I'd much rather keep Kovy. He's exciting to watch and I'm so happy he's on my team (one of my childhood favourites). If we were to trade him, I'd want a LOT for him. I don't give a **** how he played with the Kings - he clearly is top-line material here in Montreal and it shows. We're not letting go of top-line material, regardless of age, for a stupid, worthless 3rd round pick. Get over yourselves.

It's been seven games dude.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If the Bruins wanted Kovy, they would have had him for $700K. They don't want him.

You think NHL scouts see him in Montreal and say, 'oh wow, we were completely wrong about him, sorry Mr general manager'? Can we give up our 2nd round pick to get him now?

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If the Bruins wanted Kovy, they would have had him for $700K. They don't want him.

You think NHL scouts see him in Montreal and say, 'oh wow, we were completely wrong about him, sorry Mr general manager'? Can we give up our 2nd round pick to get him now?

He had other offers. He went to the place that offered him the most ice time due to the habs having a ton of wingers injured, not the most money. So no, he probably wasn’t interested in the Bruins at 700k. He just trying to reestablish himself for future contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad