Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk signs with Habs (1-year, 2-way deal, 700k AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Why are you talking about the PK, you think Kovalchuk is going to be utilized on the PK?
When he plays with no one in the box we have 4 defensive players on the ice becuase he isn't going to be playing defense.

But it's nice to see that you don't take umbrage with the assertion that he is awful defensively.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's hilarious to see "Kovalchuk" pencilled into our lines. I'd go to a game just to see him in a Habs jersey, which was probably a big reason they signed him.

All we need to make this season complete is to reach out to Jaromir Jagr...
And Marian Hossa!! Low risk, why not!!

Reactions: Lshap

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like poeling but i dont think giving him 4th line minutes is helping him. He needs to go to Laval and light it up get more ice time and confidence.. its does not help Poeling s development to be playing with Jordan Weal. It seems detrimental. He's a Wealy bad player.

I have Poehling in the top 9, ahead of Lehkonen and Byron on the top 9. At least I want to give him the next 10 games to try to solidify such a spot. We need his big body in the top 9. And he may already have more offense than Lehk and Byron. We'll see.

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
It's hilarious to see "Kovalchuk" pencilled into our lines. I'd go to a game just to see him in a Habs jersey, which was probably a big reason they signed him.

All we need to make this season complete is to reach out to Jaromir Jagr...
I was going to like your post up until you mentioned Jagr. Kovalchuk still has wheels. People forget at one point he was one of the fastest players in the league, he's lost a step but not his shot.
He doesn't need to be as fast as our boys he just needs to be fast enough to get set and where he scores from, point, slot, goal mouth etc he can score from with his release is all about opportunity and our kids will give him that in spades.
All ilya needs to do is what hes always done just shoot.

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
I have Poehling in the top 9, ahead of Lehkonen and Byron on the top 9. At least I want to give him the next 10 games to try to solidify such a spot. We need his big body in the top 9. And he may already have more offense than Lehk and Byron. We'll see.
I have him there too but i don't want him getting acclimated to playing wing. I want him playing Centre minutes. I don't want to ruin him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I was going to like your post up until you mentioned Jagr. Kovalchuk still has wheels. People forget at one point he was one of the fastest players in the league, he's lost a step but not his shot.
He doesn't need to be as fast as our boys he just needs to be fast enough to get set and where he scores from, point, slot, goal mouth etc he can score from with his release is all about opportunity and our kids will give him that in spades.
All ilya needs to do is what hes always done just shoot.
Seriously, I am excited to see Kovalchuk. How can any fan NOT be? It's just so totally out of left field and such a blatant Hail-Mary pass that I can't help laughing. It's all good whether he's a total bust or scores 20. I am definitely entertained.

Did I earn my "Like"?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Kovalchuk used to be great. Even Kovalev ould be a bi mprovement over garbage like Hudon. Please wake up to that realization \ Fortunately, the last few drafts will change the face of the team for the better. Ubfortunately, I dom't expect to be around to witness the next Stanley Cup parade, But you will see Dmen who are five times as good a Mete.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The board has been negative since I joined here in 07’........pinning the doom on the last 3-4yrs is a farce

Or maybe it's your perception that is skewed. I've seen this board being overly positive too.

You have to consider your own tendencies too. Maybe you unconsciously tend to get triggered more easily and fixate on those who are negative, which will always be present, no matter how positive the majority is. Also have to consider human psychology as we are much more likely to remember negative events than positive ones because of survival. We're talking five folds here. In other words, it takes five positive comments to equal the impact of one negative comment.

I won't deny the board has been overly negative, especially in the last 4 years, but to say it's been just that over the last 13 years is simply exageration.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He may be the worst defensive player in the league and hasn't shown any inclination that he is willing to buy into any system other than " go out there and do whatever you like".

Our PK is awful we can't keep the puck out of our net and you want to ice a guy who treats defensive responsibilities like they are Ebola?

If he scores 15 ( crazy generous) and his unwillingness to give a damn defensively leads to 20 goals against, how is that an asset?

I’d be angry too if I honestly thought Kovalchuk would be used on the PK. However, that’s completely absurd.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What is best case here?

He gels perfectly and scores 25 goals with us?

Then what? This team can use help scoring but it's not why they are losing. Still unlikely to make the playoffs. Scandella is not the solution either.

Why are they losing then if they need more goals than the other team.. ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have him there too but i don't want him getting acclimated to playing wing. I want him playing Centre minutes. I don't want to ruin him.

I don't think he's ready for center in the nhl. It's way too early, but I wonder if he has the puck skills to be a center in the NHL. He may be better suited as a power forward winger, who goas hard to the net, with speed, but who doesn't have to hang on to the puck as much.

I get the dilemna of eanting him to have more time with the puck in the A. I'm just happy he's getting comfortable with the speed of the NHL game. I think he could score a lot more goals like his recent disallowed goal if he played with top 9 players.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Who is that guy on the left.? He said he played with Kovalchuk in Atlanta.
81323253_1003149256738680_6419519104289341440_n.png

Bill Lindsay.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For me there's a huge difference between the 5th and 15th pick….at least this year and for this team.
If we finished between 10 and 15 i can already tell you who our pick is going to be, this will be a very very annoying draft.

We're not going to tank. The only hope of drafting high is the injured take a long time to get back and/or there are more injuries. Mb will not be changing philosophy over night.

So if you really want that top 5 pick, you better hope Gallagher has a really severe concussion amd post concussion symptoms, for example. Cause hoping MB will change philosophy is hopeless.

Or you can just accept that we'll be competing until we're basically all but mathematically out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad