Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk signs with Habs (1-year, 2-way deal, 700k AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Lol not everyone wants what YOU want...

If we make the playoffs on the strength of the additions and the injured players coming back, it could be quite the atmosphere around here..

but no.. A lot of you are addicted to complaining
Many are like Obelix where they fell in a soup of complaining as a child and it has become part of their DNA......have you not noticed that no matter what the trade, waiver pickup, press conference, AHL call up, draft pick, hiring, for some, not all, its met with sarcasm, anger, ridicule (mainly the biceps and clothing), and bitterness every single time, like all of them.......some of it is deserved, but when you lose your mind over a 700k pick up....one should re-evaluate their own health and maybe start picking up other hobbies to balance things out.

When your AHL team, and NHL team is decimated with injuries, you will make moves, because if you don’t, then you’ll just be blamed for sitting there and doing nothing, which we’ve already seen before.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Some people want to draft Lafreniere so badly that they think there is a good chance. The truth is that we have a better chance at advancing to the second round of the playoffs than of drafting in the top 3.

2020 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon has our current odds at 5.0% for drafting 1st overall and 16.0% for drafting top 3.
NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck 2020 Playoff & Cup Odds has our current odds at 32.2% for making the playoffs and 16.8% for advancing to the second round.

Most people seem to understand that the playoffs are slipping away and a first round exit is likely even if we make it. But it seems many people don't understand or refuse to acknowledge that drafting Lafreniere or Byfield is an irrational pipe dream.

We could try to improve our draft position by trading away Petry, Tatar, and other veterans for picks and prospects. A realistic scenario is that we end up with the 5th pick, while in a few years the developed picks and prospects amount to less than the outgoing vets.

Instead we could try to improve our chances at the playoffs by making low cost moves like acquiring Scandella and Kovalchuk. A realistic scenario is that we miss the playoffs and end up with the 15th pick.

For me, the difference between the 5th and 15th pick isn't significant enough to justify tanking and may not make us better in the long run anyway. I'd rather fight to the end, and I'm sure this is what the players also want.
The only way we draft top 3 is by sheer luck as the bottom teams like Detroit and Jersey are going nowhere, they are just that bad and will own the highest odds no matter what.
I’d love to see Lafreniere in a Habs jersey though, it would be ver cool

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Some people want to draft Lafreniere so badly that they think there is a good chance. The truth is that we have a better chance at advancing to the second round of the playoffs than of drafting in the top 3.

2020 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon has our current odds at 5.0% for drafting 1st overall and 16.0% for drafting top 3.
NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck 2020 Playoff & Cup Odds has our current odds at 32.2% for making the playoffs and 16.8% for advancing to the second round.

Most people seem to understand that the playoffs are slipping away and a first round exit is likely even if we make it. But it seems many people don't understand or refuse to acknowledge that drafting Lafreniere or Byfield is an irrational pipe dream.

We could try to improve our draft position by trading away Petry, Tatar, and other veterans for picks and prospects. A realistic scenario is that we end up with the 5th pick, while in a few years the developed picks and prospects amount to less than the outgoing vets.

Instead we could try to improve our chances at the playoffs by making low cost moves like acquiring Scandella and Kovalchuk. A realistic scenario is that we miss the playoffs and end up with the 15th pick.

For me, the difference between the 5th and 15th pick isn't significant enough to justify tanking and may not make us better in the long run anyway. I'd rather fight to the end, and I'm sure this is what the players also want.

If we manage to make the playoffs, I don't think a first round exit is likely - as it will mean we had a really good final push when healthy. Remember we were a top 10 team when healthy at the beginning of the year.

With the emergence of Poehling, Suzuki, and kk starting to come on, we could be one very deep, dangerous team. And if kovy becomes a 20 goal scorer...

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Suzuki Kovalchuk
Poehling Domi Byron
Lehkonen kk Armia
Thompson

Really hard to see where Byron fits. I would like to move him.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

For me there's a huge difference between the 5th and 15th pick….at least this year and for this team.
If we finished between 10 and 15 i can already tell you who our pick is going to be, this will be a very very annoying draft.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
How exactly is it possible to over-rate Radulov? He ran the Habs 1st line for a whole year. When we lost him, Max Casperetty showed his true colors the next year and the habs were terrible. Radulov was not a point-per-game player. But he was the best player on our team. He was not a top-20 Point Per Game player, but people also forget he was 4-1 in shootouts that year and 7 pts in 6 playoff games. His 54-point total under-represented his value to the team it didn't over-represent it. I don't think anyone was saying Radulov was as good as Barkov or Malkin. People rated him exactly how he was...
The one year he was here ( emphasis on one) he wasn't better than patches, which you kind of infer when you compare Max's following year.

The number of people who overestimate his contribution in that one year astounds me. He scored fewer goals than Paul Byron.

People see the good on radulov, and ignore the glowing bad parts of his game. Not only see, but exaggerate as you have done.

And we didn't "lose " him. He ditched us after the stink washed off of him.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
For me there's a huge difference between the 5th and 15th pick….at least this year and for this team.
If we finished between 10 and 15 i can already tell you who our pick is going to be, this will be a very very annoying draft.
Of course if we didn't have to touch the roster I'd rather have the 5th than the 15th pick. But in order to get to 5th we need to move good players out, so the net effect may not be positive.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Of course if we didn't have to touch the roster I'd rather have the 5th than the 15th pick. But in order to get to 5th we need to move good players out, so the net effect may not be positive.

Right now we would pick around 8....no need to move good players.
But it's not about that this year.

If we pick top 10 this year, we might have a chance of picking the best player available without too many noises.
If we pick lower than that they'll have to go with one of Lapierre, Bourque, Baron, Perreault, Poirier…...the draft is in Montreal and Habs are more in the business to please Fans and Medias than actually building a winning team.

I thought last year TVAsport was more than annoying with their Lavoie (and they all looked like a bunch of idiot in the end), this year it will be a nightmare.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Man, I'm excited, just for the laughs. We will never catch Detroit, they are a special kind of bad, but I think we will finish 13-14th in the conference. I can see Jersey passing us. I see San Jose in the West passing us and I wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks and Kings do as well. I can see us picking anywhere from 4th to 8th. We are bad. I don't mind this move, I don't think it moves the needle for us at all in a positive or negative direction, but it should be good for laughs.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Who is that guy on the left.? He said he played with Kovalchuk in Atlanta.
81323253_1003149256738680_6419519104289341440_n.png

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
love the expectations from a 36 yr old 'sniper' with a history of laziness and reluctancy to hit the defensive zone. 'Well if he has 3 goals in L.A he should be good for 25 on this powerhouse team in Montreal'
History of laziness??......I’ve only heard the opposite, great teammate

Ya, that scoring machine of a team LA, just steam rolling teams with their offense....lol

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Man, I'm excited, just for the laughs. We will never catch Detroit, they are a special kind of bad, but I think we will finish 13-14th in the conference. I can see Jersey passing us. I see San Jose in the West passing us and I wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks and Kings do as well. I can see us picking anywhere from 4th to 8th. We are bad. I don't mind this move, I don't think it moves the needle for us at all in a positive or negative direction, but it should be good for laughs.
No way we picking 4th to 8th.....our injured players will come back and this will in turn make us better

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Board was quite different during the Gainey era, even early Bergevin time.
There will always be at least 2 opinions on a matter, strong discussions about certain players, drafting, or coaching, etc.
But this now is very different and it has nothing to do with being ''addicted to complaining''.
The team is going to miss the POs 4/5 times, this board didn't exists back when Houle did that but I'm sure it would be a similar sense to now, would you have said back there was an addiction to complaining?

It's amazing to me how some posters still criticize others for their negativity when the Habs are very likely to miss the POs for the 4TH TIME IN 5 YEARS!

This team is a mess, it needs to be changed, there's no cohesion within the roster, it's just bad.
The board has been negative since I joined here in 07’........pinning the doom on the last 3-4yrs is a farce

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
No way we picking 4th to 8th.....our injured players will come back and this will in turn make us better

I don't see it, this team will be closer to Detroit then it will be to the top of the division. This team is really bad, without Drouin/Gallagher/Armia, I wouldn't be surprised if we have another 8-9 game slide.

Reactions: jaffy27

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
If we manage to make the playoffs, I don't think a first round exit is likely - as it will mean we had a really good final push when healthy. Remember we were a top 10 team when healthy at the beginning of the year.

With the emergence of Poehling, Suzuki, and kk starting to come on, we could be one very deep, dangerous team. And if kovy becomes a 20 goal scorer...

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Suzuki Kovalchuk
Poehling Domi Byron
Lehkonen kk Armia
Thompson

Really hard to see where Byron fits. I would like to move him.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Domi Suzuki
Drouin Kk Armia
I hope would be ideal top 3 lines..we cannot give Suzuki more minutes than Domes.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I don't see it, this team will be closer to Detroit then it will be to the top of the division. This team is really bad, without Drouin/Gallagher/Armia, I wouldn't be surprised if we have another 8-9 game slide.
I think best case scenario is 8th overall pick but who knows with this team

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
History of laziness??......I’ve only heard the opposite, great teammate

Ya, that scoring machine of a team LA, just steam rolling teams with their offense....lol
He may be the worst defensive player in the league and hasn't shown any inclination that he is willing to buy into any system other than " go out there and do whatever you like".

Our PK is awful we can't keep the puck out of our net and you want to ice a guy who treats defensive responsibilities like they are Ebola?

If he scores 15 ( crazy generous) and his unwillingness to give a damn defensively leads to 20 goals against, how is that an asset?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Domi Suzuki
Drouin Kk Armia
I hope would be ideal top 3 lines..we cannot give Suzuki more minutes than Domes.

Only problem would be, if we ever get healthy and Kovalchuk earns a spot in the lineup, if we keep Thompson in, one of Byron, Lehkonen, or Poehling has to come out. I fon't want that. And I don't want Poehling at C yet in the NHL. So my 4 c's are Danault, Domi, Suzuki, and KK.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Only problem would be, if we ever get healthy and Kovalchuk earns a spot in the lineup, if we keep Thompson in, one of Byron, Lehkonen, or Poehling has to come out. I fon't want that. And I don't want Poehling at C yet in the NHL. So my 4 c's are Danault, Domi, Suzuki, and KK.
If domi is gonna end up on the wing eventually, why not make the switch now?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He may be the worst defensive player in the league and hasn't shown any inclination that he is willing to buy into any system other than " go out there and do whatever you like".

Our PK is awful we can't keep the puck out of our net and you want to ice a guy who treats defensive responsibilities like they are Ebola?

If he scores 15 ( crazy generous) and his unwillingness to give a damn defensively leads to 20 goals against, how is that an asset?

Why are you talking about the PK, you think Kovalchuk is going to be utilized on the PK?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If domi is gonna end up on the wing eventually, why not make the switch now?
Ok, but who do you take out of the lineup in favor of Thompson as your 4c?

I don't want to take any one out. So we need 4c's. Danault, Domi, Suzuki, and Kk are the only candidates for me.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
There goes the notion that nobody wanted him because he was so bad.

interest isn’t the same as willing to sign. Sure, teams kicked the tires - he’s a big name - but no contenders thought he would help. No teams, including bottom-feeding injury-plagued Montreal, thought we was worth the gamble of a one-way contract.

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
I like poeling but i dont think giving him 4th line minutes is helping him. He needs to go to Laval and light it up get more ice time and confidence.. its does not help Poeling s development to be playing with Jordan Weal. It seems detrimental. He's a Wealy bad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad