Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk signs with Habs (1-year, 2-way deal, 700k AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yep resign Scandella to block Romanov sounds about right
If that would happen, Mete would be the odd man out, shipped out for help up front.

I’d like a

Chiarot-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Scandella-Fleury

assuming all kinds of things of course lol

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
What is best case here?

He gels perfectly and scores 25 goals with us?

Then what? This team can use help scoring but it's not why they are losing. Still unlikely to make the playoffs. Scandella is not the solution either.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
What is best case here?

He gels perfectly and scores 25 goals with us?

Then what? This team can use help scoring but it's not why they are losing. Still unlikely to make the playoffs. Scandella is not the solution either.

Play well enough to become valuable to contending teams, but hopefully not good enough to help us dig ourselves out of this hole.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Who the **** cares about how much salary habs pay? No risk because of that? Idiotic tweet. The risk is no lottery pick. Even if remote.

Lol not everyone wants what YOU want...

If we make the playoffs on the strength of the additions and the injured players coming back, it could be quite the atmosphere around here..

but no.. A lot of you are addicted to complaining

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
love the expectations from a 36 yr old 'sniper' with a history of laziness and reluctancy to hit the defensive zone. 'Well if he has 3 goals in L.A he should be good for 25 on this powerhouse team in Montreal'

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lol not everyone wants what YOU want...

If we make the playoffs on the strength of the additions and the injured players coming back, it could be quite the atmosphere around here..

but no.. A lot of you are addicted to complaining
Board was quite different during the Gainey era, even early Bergevin time.
There will always be at least 2 opinions on a matter, strong discussions about certain players, drafting, or coaching, etc.
But this now is very different and it has nothing to do with being ''addicted to complaining''.
The team is going to miss the POs 4/5 times, this board didn't exists back when Houle did that but I'm sure it would be a similar sense to now, would you have said back there was an addiction to complaining?

It's amazing to me how some posters still criticize others for their negativity when the Habs are very likely to miss the POs for the 4TH TIME IN 5 YEARS!

This team is a mess, it needs to be changed, there's no cohesion within the roster, it's just bad.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
love the expectations from a 36 yr old 'sniper' with a history of laziness and reluctancy to hit the defensive zone. 'Well if he has 3 goals in L.A he should be good for 25 on this powerhouse team in Montreal'
Reminds me of when we signed Semin.

Reactions: Edgy and Habs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There will always be at least 2 opinions on a matter, strong discussions about certain players, drafting, or coaching, etc.
But this now is very different and it has nothing to do with being ''addicted to complaining''.
The team is going to miss the POs 4/5 times, this board didn't exists back when Houle did that but I'm sure it would be a similar sense to now, would you have said back there was an addiction to complaining?

It's amazing to me how some posters still criticize others for their negativity when the Habs are very likely to miss the POs for the 4TH TIME IN 5 YEARS!

This team is a mess, it needs to be changed, there's no cohesion within the roster, it's just bad.
Actually Houle never missed the playoffs 4 times in 5 years. Houle missed the playoffs 3 times in 6 years actually (the last year he was actually fired during the season but we'll put this on him since it was his team).

You could technically say we missed the series 4 times in 5 years from 98 to 2003 because of Houle cause there was not much time for the new GM to do anything but Houle was fired by then so he did not survive long enough to actually miss the playoffs 4 times in 5 years as the Montreal Canadiens GM.

As far as i know MB will be the only GM surviving long enough to miss the playoffs 4 times in 5 years all by himself. This never happened i think.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm watching Bergevin's presser and the man can barely complete a sentence in both languages. It's getting worse every year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

This place has been around a long time. I found it in 1999 or 2000, and it already seemed established.

I joined in the midst of the 3 year playoff drought. I think the difference back then was that the players were not trashed by the posters much. Houle on the other hand was a different story.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Yeah like part of the point is that the youth is what they’re banking on and not immediate success. Did you not get that memo?

There’s a difference between making a playoff push and trying to trade for a contender.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah like part of the point is that the youth is what they’re banking on and not immediate success. Did you not get that memo?

There’s a difference between making a playoff push and trying to trade for a contender.
Oh great...so because they're now banking on youth...everything is a-okay?
f*** are you talking about?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This place has been around a long time. I found it in 1999 or 2000, and it already seemed established.

I joined in the midst of the 3 year playoff drought. I think the difference back then was that the players were not trashed by the posters much. Houle on the other hand was a different story.
“well established”...

Sir Jacques Demers

May 5, 2006
I think radulov was vastly overated.
And I know radulov. Radulov was a friend of mine. Suckalchuck is no Radulov.

How exactly is it possible to over-rate Radulov? He ran the Habs 1st line for a whole year. When we lost him, Max Casperetty showed his true colors the next year and the habs were terrible. Radulov was not a point-per-game player. But he was the best player on our team. He was not a top-20 Point Per Game player, but people also forget he was 4-1 in shootouts that year and 7 pts in 6 playoff games. His 54-point total under-represented his value to the team it didn't over-represent it. I don't think anyone was saying Radulov was as good as Barkov or Malkin. People rated him exactly how he was...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'm already annoyed by wasting my time in this stupid thread, but stop ****ing talking about other posters you ****ing ass hats. Talk about the topic or **** off.
Montreal laying the smack down. I’ve never seen you this irritated before?

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
And then I could send you the picks he wasted on washed up players or money. It works in both ways. He traded shaw to offer sheet , that's not even a plan.

I can understand the feel of getting them because of injuries but it's not like we are battling for anything except for Lafrenière.

Some people want to draft Lafreniere so badly that they think there is a good chance. The truth is that we have a better chance at advancing to the second round of the playoffs than of drafting in the top 3.

2020 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon has our current odds at 5.0% for drafting 1st overall and 16.0% for drafting top 3.
NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck 2020 Playoff & Cup Odds has our current odds at 32.2% for making the playoffs and 16.8% for advancing to the second round.

Most people seem to understand that the playoffs are slipping away and a first round exit is likely even if we make it. But it seems many people don't understand or refuse to acknowledge that drafting Lafreniere or Byfield is an irrational pipe dream.

We could try to improve our draft position by trading away Petry, Tatar, and other veterans for picks and prospects. A realistic scenario is that we end up with the 5th pick, while in a few years the developed picks and prospects amount to less than the outgoing vets.

Instead we could try to improve our chances at the playoffs by making low cost moves like acquiring Scandella and Kovalchuk. A realistic scenario is that we miss the playoffs and end up with the 15th pick.

For me, the difference between the 5th and 15th pick isn't significant enough to justify tanking and may not make us better in the long run anyway. I'd rather fight to the end, and I'm sure this is what the players also want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad