Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Yeah we've had our fun. A little rebuild should be fun since we haven't had that in about 15 years, so I don't mind 3-4 years, it is sure better than the last time the Devils made the playoffs, what 5 years ago? Good luck playing Tampa Bay:laugh:

Yea you should remember that well. Another series that ended with Lundqvist face down crying on the ice with the other team celebrating.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
2012 was 6 years ago. He's 35 now. He's frustrating and enigmatic and cannot be relied upon in any way. Shero tried to move him last offseason but there just wasn't any interest. People around the league know what kind of guy he is.
I think you’re mistaking interest for a lack of willingness to give the Devils assets

Why give the Devils something when every team has (had) the opportunity to sign him for free this year?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I think you’re mistaking interest for a lack of willingness to give the Devils assets

Why give the Devils something when every team has (had) the opportunity to sign him for free this year?

He becomes a year older. And the Devils were (reportedly) not asking for anything unreasonable for him either. It's strange that nobody bit. Very strange and very telling

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't think anyone's sad that Kovalchuk's contract isn't on our books until the year 3000. Plus, cap recapture and all that. Lou's final gift was getting us out of that contract.

Also, you're incredibly misinformed. Not entirely surprising given your... well, I don't want to make this personal and have a mod jump down my throat so I'll just leave it at that.

Not to speak on behalf of the other dude, but I don't think there's much salt as far as him not coming back to the Devils.

No Devils fan with a brain wanted Kovalchuk back now. We've clearly got something working - why risk infecting the locker room with this cancer when his best hockey is clearly behind him.

He owns a house in NJ, his wife wants to be close to NYC, and the Rags undoubtedly offered more money than anyone else with half a brain would be willing to.

Rags are trash and have a ton of cap space - why not sign a past-his-prime star? Reminds me of the good old days.

The wrong move is adding talent to keep yourself out of the top-5 in the draft. Dip your toes in the "pool of mediocrity", get your young talent, then get out.

Rags are going to do a great job hovering right around 10 O/A with Kovy while Hank is still around, which is just fantastic.

In short - I love this move. Let him infect your young guys with his ego, while keeping you just talented enough to stay out of a good draft pick.

Oilers have been doing such a great job with all their top 5 draft picks.

Islanders accomplished SO much with their franchise center that they drafted 1st OA 9 years ago. So jealous of all their success!

And I'm really looking forward to seeing Dylan Strome leading the Coyotes to the Cup Finals this year!

Meanwhile, 2nd round picks Nikita Kucherov, Brad Marchand, Roman Josi are sitting at home on the worst teams in the league.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Yea you should remember that well. Another series that ended with Lundqvist face down crying on the ice with the other team celebrating.
Yeah man its a shame it never worked out for Hank. I'll always respect his hustle year in and year out. A true Ranger great. But HEY, like I said, good luck fighting off Tampa Bay.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I don't think anyone's sad that Kovalchuk's contract isn't on our books until the year 3000. Plus, cap recapture and all that. Lou's final gift was getting us out of that contract.

Also, you're incredibly misinformed. Not entirely surprising given your... well, I don't want to make this personal and have a mod jump down my throat so I'll just leave it at that.

Not to speak on behalf of the other dude, but I don't think there's much salt as far as him not coming back to the Devils.

No Devils fan with a brain wanted Kovalchuk back now. We've clearly got something working - why risk infecting the locker room with this cancer when his best hockey is clearly behind him.

He owns a house in NJ, his wife wants to be close to NYC, and the Rags undoubtedly offered more money than anyone else with half a brain would be willing to.

Rags are trash and have a ton of cap space - why not sign a past-his-prime star? Reminds me of the good old days.

The wrong move is adding talent to keep yourself out of the top-5 in the draft. Dip your toes in the "pool of mediocrity", get your young talent, then get out.

Rags are going to do a great job hovering right around 10 O/A with Kovy while Hank is still around, which is just fantastic.

In short - I love this move. Let him infect your young guys with his ego, while keeping you just talented enough to stay out of a good draft pick.
Its 2018 buddy the NHL lottery is a crap shoot, it doesnt really matter where you finish as long as its within the top 10 :dunno:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm guessing, as usual, he's chasing cash.
That is what he is chasing, and the lifestyle afforded to him in the big apple.

This guy is nothing but a cold blooded mercenary at this point. At the risk of getting Ranger fans mad at me and I am sure they will be but it is not my intention to slag the team or annoy it's fans ..........why would a player in the twilight of his career who truly wants to be a contributing factor on a cup winning team go to new york right now if not for the above reasons listed?

Kovalchuk is about money and bling at this point, nothing more.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He becomes a year older. And the Devils were (reportedly) not asking for anything unreasonable for him either. It's strange that nobody bit. Very strange and very telling
Fair enough. I don’t know what the price was but maybe that’s the case

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
...confirm for me that you'd rather have a 3.5% chance at the first overall pick than 18.5%.

2018 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

I just want to see you put it in writing.
You do realize they're other elite prospects to get drafted outside the top 5? And even the prospects inside the top 5 aren't even guaranteed to even become NHLers. Look at my username, Chytil was drafted at 21, and the kid is going to be a star.

Back to the lottery, it's a crap shoot. The Flyers leaped into the top 3. If this was the old lottery system I would be worried.

Reactions: Moon Knight

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
...confirm for me that you'd rather have a 3.5% chance at the first overall pick than 18.5%.

2018 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

I just want to see you put it in writing.

Rangers were never going to be as bad as the Sabres. Even if they tried.

And for the record I'll take the player drafted 16th overall in 2015 over the player drafted 2nd. And the player drafted 23rd over the player drafted 3rd.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Devils fans always trying to shoot us rangers fans down. Just leave us alone and enjoy making the playoffs

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't like this for NYR.. Kovalchuk on a losing team at this stage of his career isn't a great recipe in my opinion.. Him playing meaningless games is going to look awful.

But holy moly are the Rangers going to have a lot of skill for a rebuilding team.. Should be a fun team to watch

But yeah i guess for Kovy he has a reason to go to NY and it's not hockey or money related. I doubt the Rangers are the only team willing to offer 3 years.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
funny how devil and neutral fans are talking shit and how pathetic the Rags are for this.

How dare they sign a top offensive player in the world while they try and get back being competitive.

Why do people think the state of your team is binary, like you're either balls deep in a Buffalo rebuild or a stanely cup favorite....yeesh.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad