Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The Rangers are a sad sad franchise or are you still sad Kovalchuk ditched the Devils? I wonder who the sad sad franchise really is where a franchise player couldn't wait to leave :huh:

Why would you want a player with no heart or passion to even play in the NHL?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Why would you want a player with no heart or passion to even play in the NHL?

No heart or passion? He played his freaking dick off for you guys in the 2012 playoffs.

And then him going to Russia was a move orchestrated by Lou and Vanderbeek just as much as it was by Kovy. Devils wanted out of the contract badly.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
No heart or passion? He played his freaking dick off for you guys in the 2012 playoffs.

And then him going to Russia was a move orchestrated by Lou and Vanderbeek just as much as it was by Kovy. Devils wanted out of the contract badly.

2012 was 6 years ago. He's 35 now. He's frustrating and enigmatic and cannot be relied upon in any way. Shero tried to move him last offseason but there just wasn't any interest. People around the league know what kind of guy he is.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Makes no sense for the NYR, and makes no sense if Kovalchuk actually wanted to compete for a Cup.

Enjoy that.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Kovy is a dick and will never win the Cup but it does make sense for the Rags. They'll need something to keep their fans happy through a miserable season and depending on the cap hit they would be able to flip him to a contender for more draft picks/young players/prospects. Hope he sucks there, though.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Hey he's your problem now. We've got the playoffs to prep fore. Something you may have a chance at in 3-4 years if that.
Yeah we've had our fun. A little rebuild should be fun since we haven't had that in about 15 years, so I don't mind 3-4 years, it is sure better than the last time the Devils made the playoffs, what 5 years ago? Good luck playing Tampa Bay:laugh:

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Kovy is a dick and will never win the Cup but it does make sense for the Rags. They'll need something to keep their fans happy through a miserable season and depending on the cap hit they would be able to flip him to a contender for more draft picks/young players/prospects. Hope he sucks there, though.

I would imagine Kovy is going to want some sort of NTC. I don't think he's signing without one.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
The Rangers are a sad sad franchise or are you still sad Kovalchuk ditched the Devils? I wonder who the sad sad franchise really is where a franchise player couldn't wait to leave :huh:

I don't think anyone's sad that Kovalchuk's contract isn't on our books until the year 3000. Plus, cap recapture and all that. Lou's final gift was getting us out of that contract.

Also, you're incredibly misinformed. Not entirely surprising given your... well, I don't want to make this personal and have a mod jump down my throat so I'll just leave it at that.

Salty much

Not to speak on behalf of the other dude, but I don't think there's much salt as far as him not coming back to the Devils.

No Devils fan with a brain wanted Kovalchuk back now. We've clearly got something working - why risk infecting the locker room with this cancer when his best hockey is clearly behind him.

No not really.

Teams would have easily given him more than $6m a year without hesitation.

He has publicly said he likes NY and would like to play for NYR.

He owns a house in NJ, his wife wants to be close to NYC, and the Rags undoubtedly offered more money than anyone else with half a brain would be willing to.

Rags are trash and have a ton of cap space - why not sign a past-his-prime star? Reminds me of the good old days.

Nope. The wrong move is bottoming out and infecting yourself with the unbeatable virus the Sabres infected themselves with.

The wrong move is adding talent to keep yourself out of the top-5 in the draft. Dip your toes in the "pool of mediocrity", get your young talent, then get out.

Rags are going to do a great job hovering right around 10 O/A with Kovy while Hank is still around, which is just fantastic.

In short - I love this move. Let him infect your young guys with his ego, while keeping you just talented enough to stay out of a good draft pick.

Reactions: Rgani1488

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad