Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Kovy can’t sign, nor technically talk to other teams for another 3 months.

He’s still NJD property.

Unless NJD gave their rival permission

This is an interesting point because while everyone knows that He is a UFA July 1 and the Devils have no rights at that point, I believe the Devils do technically hold rights until then. So if he has had discussions with the Rangers and come to a verbal agreement, and that can be proven, regardless of when this is formally announced, I wonder if this constitutes any sort of violation or tampering of any kind?

Yeah, this is wrong!

As the Devils do own Kovy's rights at this moment, however, as he is not an active player within the league, as soon as he turns 35, which is on April 15, he is classed as a full UFA.

So this means that as of 15th April, he can talk to whoever he wants and needs no ones permission. He can't 'officially' sign until July 1st but as soon as he turns 35 he is a UFA.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I like it for us, could help getting Rykov over and we have Shestyorkin coming up soon. Also have Buchnevich who played with Kovy, he could be a good mentor. I think it’s for sure Kovy-Buch will be on a line and I’m expecting Buch to seriously explode offensively next season with no AV and probably playing with Kovalchuk. When he was getting consistent-ish minutes, he was playing at a 60+ pace, then AV did his thing and ruined Buch’s confidence yet again and it shows. Buch recently has played terrible where in the beginning of the year when he played 1st line he was playing with a spark offensively and defensively. I like this move and I think it’s for sure Zucc gets moved now

Kreider-Zib-Fast
Kovy-Chytil-Buch
Andersson-Hayes-Spooner/Namestnikov (which ever doesn’t get moved)
Vesey+4th line

Last edited:

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I love that when I proposed the Rangers trading for Karlsson, all the Rangers fans called me stupid cause they were rebuilding. This signing basically is a signal that they'll be in the market for John Tavares and will be a player in the trade market this summer.

I'd be surprised if they weren't in on Karlsson

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I reiterate:

"Kovalchuk has his eyes on New York"

"Kovalchuk wants a Stanley Cup now"

f06ytkhsjlh01.gif

Kovalchuk's chasing a Cup like Jags was chasing a Cup the last few years. Which is to say, not at all.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Don't be so sure Buchnevich will explode offensively. A lot of areas of his game stink. He's also lazy at times. Kovalchuk should be a good leader for some of the young players. It's only money and the contract terms are not bad. This is a good move. Unlike the Oilers, you can't just take your young players and throw them to the wolves without solid vet help.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Have to have at least some competitive players on your team even during rebuilding years. This makes it easier for the Rangers to trade Zucc this offseason, also gives them something to market for casual fans. He already knows Buch after playing with him in SKA. Helps our Russian prospects like Rykov and Shestyorkin come over and adjust easily to the NHL. Maybe he helps us lure Panarin next year in the offseason. A 3 year contract expires the same time as Lundqvist - maybe we are competitive by the final year of their contracts, maybe not. If not, Kovy gets shipped off to a contender for more prospects, chases his cup. And to top it all off, the guy already has a house close by.

This is a move that makes complete and total sense for both parties. A no brainer. I get that some people can't see past the "LOL what happened to the rebuild" joke, but come on.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I look forward to him becoming the loudest boo'd player in NHL history.

Honestly... Rangers what are you thinking? This guy, since "retiring" from the NHL, has had several instances of showing who he really is.. from disrespecting the Canadian national anthem, to agreeing with an anti-LGBTQ political stance, to temper tantrums and cheap shots in the KHL... Why would you want this guy in your locker room?

lol.

Reactions: NJDevils7

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Sign Kovalchuk sign Tavares and we back in this bitch.

And Kovy-stamkos-Kuch is going to be a sick line for the 2020 playoffs.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I love that when I proposed the Rangers trading for Karlsson, all the Rangers fans called me stupid cause they were rebuilding. This signing basically is a signal that they'll be in the market for John Tavares and will be a player in the trade market this summer.

There is a difference between signing a player for free and having to sell the farm (a farm we just got after 7 years of a dust bowl) in a trade for Karlsson.

The Sabres are a cautionary tale of what happens when you jump the gun on your rebuild.

2 firsts in the 2015 draft, Armia, Myers, Lemieux, Zadorov, Compher, for Kane, ROR and Lehner. That's why they are buried deep in a 20 foot hole.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
This would be a good move for the rangers, you never say no to skilled players, it just makes no sense for Kovy since he wants to chase a cup and the rangers won't be winning a cup anytime soon, when i heard he wanted a cup i assumed he would sign with a current contender.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This would be a good move for the rangers, you never say no to skilled players, it just makes no sense for Kovy since he wants to chase a cup and the rangers won't be winning a cup anytime soon, when i heard he wanted a cup i assumed he would sign with a current contender.

He'll get his cup with Tampa in the 2020 playoffs

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Hardly shocking, is it? I dont understand it from the team's perspective, but however the Rangers wanna rebuild is their business. I'm guessing he will be pretty successful in the first year, and that he will be released or traded by the end of season 2.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Hardly shocking, is it? I dont understand it from the team's perspective, but however the Rangers wanna rebuild is their business. I'm guessing he will be pretty successful in the first year, and that he will be released or traded by the end of season 2.

Again I'm going to use the Sabres as a cautionary tale. Once you allow yourself to be as bad as they allowed themselves to be in the 2015 tank, its damn near impossible to not continue to be that bad. They even tried to dig themselves out of the hole with the ROR, Kane and Lehner trades but they just found themselves deeper and deeper. There is nothing that can stop the tank once you push it down the hill.

Rangers aren't going to let themselves bottom out. Which is the right move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad