Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Makes sense. The Rangers are doing s mini rebuild so let’s sign an old winger that’s been out of the league for a number or years. Typical Ranger move and they wonder why they never win.

Depends. Kovalchuk looks like he’s still an effective player.

3x3, why not? 3x6, uh oh.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Makes sense. The Rangers are doing s mini rebuild so let’s sign an old winger that’s been out of the league for a number or years. Typical Ranger move and they wonder why they never win.

"mini rebuild?" they traded off half their core for picks and prospect, Lundqvist is aging. Rangers is in full-blown rebuild mode. Credits to them for ripping off the bandaid and doing things properly, but it can hardly be called a mini rebuild.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You can rebuild and have veteran players.

Kovalchuk played with Buchnevich.

Shestyorking and Rykov (who they just acquired from the Devils, i.e. they targeted Rykov) have been playing with Kovalchuk on SKA. Both of their SKA contracts are up in 1 year.

It makes a lot of sense.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Wait if hes chasing the cash wouldnt he go to a team that has lower taxes and if hes is chasing a cup wouldnt he want to join a team that isnt rebuilding this makes no sense unless hes chasing the fame of new york lol idk

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Wait if hes chasing the cash wouldnt he go to a team that has lower taxes and if hes is chasing a cup wouldnt he want to join a team that isnt rebuilding this makes no sense unless hes chasing the fame of new york lol idk
He has always really liked New York City and has made it well known.
Buchnevich. Namestnikov. Shestyorkin. Rykov.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Eronko is reporting it, I have no reason to doubt it, he is legit.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If hes goin for the russians wouldnt washington make sense if they can make cap for him
I don't think Washington wants to give him 6 per year for 2-3 years. And half of my post was about New York City. I've never heard the guy say anything about loving Washington.

Reactions: canuckslover10

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
If you have the opportunity to have one of the best players not in the NHL join your team for 2-3 years for no assets given up, you take it. You now have a valuable contract if the terms are right. You can possibly deal him, make your team better, insulate your incoming talent so you're not a barren wastleland like Buffalo and Arizona.

There is no reason why this move wouldn't be good for the Rangers.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
You can rebuild and have veteran players.

Kovalchuk played with Buchnevich.

Shestyorking and Rykov (who they just acquired from the Devils, i.e. they targeted Rykov) have been playing with Kovalchuk on SKA. Both of their SKA contracts are up in 1 year.

It makes a lot of sense.
They didnt target rykov the settled for him. Ray said there was 3 to 5 players they asked for before him lol. It might end up being a blessing they got him but by dumb luck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad